Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 1377 (early birthday present)

Crosman 1377 (early birthday present)

Picked up a 1377 at Walmart today. I've been researching it and the 1322 for months.
    My brother in Co. called the other day to say he had bought one, and that was the final straw.

I love my 392, but i have to say, if i'd bought this first, i may have just added a shoulder stock to it and called it good lol.
    Wish my chrony was working, but it's shooting pretty much as advertised with crosman hp's judging by how quickly the pellets hit the target at 20 yds.
    I can see the iron(plastic) sights on this gun much better than i could on the 392 . I've seen lots of complaints about the sights on line, but i have no complaints at all.

I bought it at Walmart for 2 reasons....cheapest price i've seen at a few pennies less than $50.00, and so i could look at different ones in their blister pack and make sure the front sight was on straight and not leaning to one side.
    This one is perfect as is the one they have left.

It was pretty dry on the pump mechanism out of the box, so i oiled her up and started shooting.
    First 2 shots were side by side about a half inch apart and the third was center of those and an inch high at 20 yds. and about an inch high above point of aim.
    I shot a couple more 3 shot groups like that while centering the sights and after about 15 shots it really started to group tight.

With the rear sight in it's lowest setting it's about 5/8" high at 20 yds. after about 20 shots and pretty much right on top of the sight with 5 pumps. I got some 1/2" groups with it before dark, then came inside and started shooting down the hall at about 9 yds.
    1/2" groups with this pistol just resting it on the arm of a chair is no problem at all.

It does retain the slightest bit of air on 5 or 10 pumps(you can barely tell it after firing a pellet and then just cocking the bolt and shooting again.) Doesn't seem to have any difference in that slight amount whether it's 5 pumps or ten. It's certainly not hurting the accuracy.
    Hoping it will stop doing that as it breaks in more.

This one will be my truck gun for sure. Gotta get a zippered pouch for it though.

Boolit Master
    put the shoulder stock on- makes a real nice short rifle- and 2 of them can fit in a skateboard case!
    Loren

Boolit Master
    This pistols really come into their own when the shoulder stock is mounted.
    I wasn't impressed by the striking power in .177 so I ordered a OEM 24" .22 barrel, which I found on sale for about 1/3 the regular price, for mine intending to cut it back to 14 inches, but the accuracy and power plus the quietness of the full length barrel was too nice to mess with. Very nearly a tack driver even with the primitive aperture sight.
    Had to order a .22 bolt which came with a new OEM plastic breech, also a new front plug with band and a press on ramp front sight.
    Bought another lightly used 24 inch barrel dirt cheap, I may shorten it and mount it at least temporarily later on. Perhaps trying an 18" length first and perhaps a 14" if I'm not happy at 18".

I intend to order a metal breech with dovetail for mounting a scope later on.

Once you get started modding these its hard to stop. Ordering a custom shop version with the features you want is the cheapest way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Picked up a 1377 at Walmart today. I've been researching it and the 1322 for months.
    My brother in Co. called the other day to say he had bought one, and that was the final straw.

I love my 392, but i have to say, if i'd bought this first, i may have just added a shoulder stock to it and called it good lol.
    Wish my chrony was working, but it's shooting pretty much as advertised with crosman hp's judging by how quickly the pellets hit the target at 20 yds.
    I can see the iron(plastic) sights on this gun much better than i could on the 392 . I've seen lots of complaints about the sights on line, but i have no complaints at all.

I bought it at Walmart for 2 reasons....cheapest price i've seen at a few pennies less than $50.00, and so i could look at different ones in their blister pack and make sure the front sight was on straight and not leaning to one side.
    This one is perfect as is the one they have left.

It was pretty dry on the pump mechanism out of the box, so i oiled her up and started shooting.
    First 2 shots were side by side about a half inch apart and the third was center of those and an inch high at 20 yds. and about an inch high above point of aim.
    I shot a couple more 3 shot groups like that while centering the sights and after about 15 shots it really started to group tight.

With the rear sight in it's lowest setting it's about 5/8" high at 20 yds. after about 20 shots and pretty much right on top of the sight with 5 pumps. I got some 1/2" groups with it before dark, then came inside and started shooting down the hall at about 9 yds.
    1/2" groups with this pistol just resting it on the arm of a chair is no problem at all.

It does retain the slightest bit of air on 5 or 10 pumps(you can barely tell it after firing a pellet and then just cocking the bolt and shooting again.) Doesn't seem to have any difference in that slight amount whether it's 5 pumps or ten. It's certainly not hurting the accuracy.
    Hoping it will stop doing that as it breaks in more.

This one will be my truck gun for sure. Gotta get a zippered pouch for it though.
    They are a good pistol with lots of after market parts available . They are made to retain a small amount of air in the valve after a shot . So there is not a problem with it . Not sure but your 392 might do the same thing . My old 140 was made that way as well . Enjoy Marvin

I have a couple of these. Both have the steel breech mod. One was pushed up to .22 cal. with an 18 inch barrel and rifle stock. I can't use the original sights very well, so I bought a cheap 7x scope for the .22.

Fun to shoot. It's easy to become addicted to the modding thing. There are a bunch of after market and diy options for those so inclined

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info and experience on the the 13xx pistols. I got in late from work tonight, so no daylight was left to shoot by...wanted to do some penatration tests.
    i set a steel dog food can at 5yds. and shot with 10 pumps just using the porch light. A crosman premier hp went straight through both sides. At ten yds. 1 shot went all the way through, but the second only penetrated one side.
    At 20 yds. i shot the bottom of the can turned endways and hit near the rim with 2 shots and neither penetrated, but put almost full pellet depth dents in it.
    I believe crosman piranahs would go on through as they seem to be a bit harder alloy, but didn't have any in .177.
    I set the can upright at 20 yds. and it did penetrate one side of it then.

This was an early birthday present from my gf, and i'm already thinking of getting myself another one(maybe in 22). Maybe keep one as is, and mod. the other one.
    They are indeed neat little airguns. The accuracy of this little .177 blows me away. It's easily as accurate as any powder handgun i've ever owned...and i've owned some very good ones.

Boolit Master
    They suggest no more than ten pumps but I always use at least twelve.
    There have been numerous experiments on how many pumps can be used with a bone stock 13XX pistol and most conclude that twelve pumps are the limit of efficiency with the short pistol length barrels.
    My action leaves no retained air after firing so I've found a noticeable increase in power with the 24" barrel up to 20 pumps, though I don't pump past twelve any more after those experiments.
    At twelve pumps it puts a 14.3 gr pellet through two steel cans one inside the other, the exit holes often being the size of my thumb. Water filled aluminum cans explode.
    It puts deep dents in expended camp gas cylinders like a hammer blow.

PS
    The bottoms of steel food cans are a bit thicker and the steel has been less work hardened and brittle due to the manufacturing process. Often a .177 pellet can pass through both sides but not pass through the bottom.
    Same goes for the drawn aluminum alloy food cans. The sides are weaker and more brittle than the bottoms.

One reason I determined to switch to .22 was that my 760 rifle out performed my 1377 even before I upgraded the 760. In .22 there's no comparison.

Multigunner,

Yes i agree about the 22 having more punch for sure. However, i got the 1377 out in good daylight today and have to say, for a little 7.9 gr. hp barely making 600 fps,if that, i was impressed with it.

I didn't have another dogfood can, but at 40 yds. it was going through both sides of a Bush's Beans can.
    At 50 yds. it would penetrate the front of the can, but the pellet was still in the can, but pretty well flattened. Pretty impressive for a stock pistol in .177.
    Should be a 40 yd. small game gun as is.

I shot some groups from 21 yds. out to 50 yds. and the accuracy is certainly there. I was going to post some pics, but can't get the computer to cooperate tonight for some reason.
    At 50 yds. the first shot(which i called a good shot)went 6" low for some reason, but the next 3 went into 1.390" about 3 1/2" low. That's with about a 5/8" high zero at 21 yds.

All the groups i shot with the iron sights on the little 1377 were pushing the groups i can shoot with a peep sight on my 392.

I WILL be ordering a shoulder stock for the 1377, and in fact, i may just go ahead and order a 1322 to go with it. Or maybe another 1377 just to play with modifications on.
    Lol, i'm not changing a thing on the one i have now as long as it's shooting like this.

Perma-Banned
    The 1377 has caught my eye SEVERAL times at our local Wally world, i might just get one

54bore,

After getting the 392 and seeing how accurate it was, i got tired of walking by the 1377's in the display case at Walmart and finally took a deep breath and got one.
    Maybe i got lucky with the pellets, but all they had were daisy pointed, crosman pointed, and crosman hollow points.
    I picked up a tin of crosman pointed and the hollow points. It does "ok" with the pointed, but thrives on the hp.

I still can't get my pics cropped for downloading tonight, but...
    groups today were a .721" 3 shot at 21 yds., a 2 shot(just to see where it hit) at 30 yds. that went into .511", a 4 shot group at 40 yds.(because i pulled the 3rd shot up about 2", the other 3 went into .569", and then 3 in 1.390" at 50 yds.

I always hesitate to reccomend this gun or that, but from what i saw today, i'd have to say they just might be one of the best deals for the money out there.

I think it's just a matter of finding the right pellet with these little handguns,
    which wasn't hard at all with this one.
    I'm not the best shot in the world from offhand with a handgun, but from a rest, it's hard to miss with this thing.

I may well do more small game hunting this fall than deer hunting...can't wait!

Perma-Banned
    54bore,

After getting the 392 and seeing how accurate it was, i got tired of walking by the 1377's in the display case at Walmart and finally took a deep breath and got one.
    Maybe i got lucky with the pellets, but all they had were daisy pointed, crosman pointed, and crosman hollow points.
    I picked up a tin of crosman pointed and the hollow points. It does "ok" with the pointed, but thrives on the hp.

I still can't get my pics cropped for downloading tonight, but...
    groups today were a .721" 3 shot at 21 yds., a 2 shot(just to see where it hit) at 30 yds. that went into .511", a 4 shot group at 40 yds.(because i pulled the 3rd shot up about 2", the other 3 went into .569", and then 3 in 1.390" at 50 yds.

I always hesitate to reccomend this gun or that, but from what i saw today, i'd have to say they just might be one of the best deals for the money out there.

I think it's just a matter of finding the right pellet with these little handguns,
    which wasn't hard at all with this one.
    I'm not the best shot in the world from offhand with a handgun, but from a rest, it's hard to miss with this thing.

I may well do more small game hunting this fall than deer hunting...can't wait!

35 shooter, Sounds like you got a shooter for sure!! What kind of real life velocity are these things getting?

54bore,

My chrono is down due to gc going through the screen on it.
    The few online reports i've seen on the new series(p1377) pretty well were 580 to 610 fps. with 7.9 gr. pellets.

All i can say for sure about mine for now, is that it's quick to the target, even at 50 yds. Lol, i don't think anything will have time to duck at that range.

I'm very tempted to go back to Walmart and pick up the other 1377 they had, and put a steel breech, shoulder stock, and scope on it.

As to how this one shoots....if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes today, i would have never believed they would have that kind of accuracy.

Perma-Banned
    54bore,

My chrono is down due to gc going through the screen on it.
    The few online reports i've seen on the new series(p1377) pretty well were 580 to 610 fps. with 7.9 gr. pellets.

All i can say for sure about mine for now, is that it's quick to the target, even at 50 yds. Lol, i don't think anything will have time to duck at that range.

I'm very tempted to go back to Walmart and pick up the other 1377 they had, and put a steel breech, shoulder stock, and scope on it.

As to how this one shoots....if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes today, i would have never believed they would have that kind of accuracy.
    35 Shooter, That is plenty of velocity for whacking vermin! If you don't get the other one, someone else will! Reading this thread has convinced me to get 1, Next time i am at Wally i will bring 1 of these home, will be a better fit for my in town back yard, my Nitro Venom Dusk is a bit more than needed here in my yard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	198529
    This is the 50 yd. target from yesterday. I shot at the black bull with a 6o hold and had the white paper taped under it to catch the drop at that range, which was about 3 1/2".
    The first shot however, was 6" low. Could have been a bad pellet, or more likely me.

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	198532
    This is the 40 yd. and i did call the shot that went high, so shot 1 more for a 3 shot group, and it hit dead in the lower left hole lol. This little hangun will shoot!
    I can't seem to get the others to download right now, so i'll try again later.

The 50 yd. 3 shot group was 1.390" and the 40 yd. was .569" for 3 shots discounting the one i pulled high...i called that shot.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 06-26-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	198539
    This is the 21 yd. target. The 3 shot group was shot with a 6:00 hold at bottom of target, and the 1 shot in the middle was with a half sight picture and 6:00 hold.
    So for a squirrels head at that range, all i need is a 1/2 bead under his head...perfect!
    The 3 shot group was .721", but will shoot much tighter at that range.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	198540
    And finally, the 30 yd. 2 shot group i took just to see where it was hitting at that range. It measured .511"

Today, i did some further shooting to verify the drop at different ranges, and found i could see a black bullseye much better against the black front sight.
    I could tell when i had the sight just right at 6:00 much better this way.

Shooting at black bullseyes, it's about 1" high at 20 yds., 3/4" high at 30 yds., dead center on top of the sight at 40 yds. and 3" low at 50 yds.
    It was a very calm afternoon with little to no wind and everything was centered up nicely.
    I can use a half sight picture at 20 to 30 yds. and a full sight picture at 40 yds., and about 1/8" of the front sight above the rear for dead on at 50 yds.

This thing will be a squirrel terminator with a shoulder stock, or just a good rest in handgun mode.

I have 2 of the 1322's bought both with the shoulder stock.

For indoor target work 3 pumps is plenty. It will put 5 in one ragged hole at 20 feet, smaller than a dime. Right now mine is sitting with a 3x Red Dot mounted on it.

Great little shooters, but they do run on muscle power so they get ignored a bunch.

I've never tried to kill a critter with mine but I have no doubt from 5 pumps up that it would do the job.

Perma-Banned
    Good shootin 35shooter!

Thanks 54bore. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these!

GhostHawk, i find them easier and quicker to pump than the 392, so i don't mind the pumping too much.
    For hunting i'll probably go for 10 pumps and head shots on small game, but have no doubts that 5 pumps will get the job done out to about 25 yds, or maybe even 30.

Like you, i like 3 to 5 pumps for indoors. i really like the feel of the shot cycle at 5 and 10 pumps.
    Today was all about tin cans from 20 to 50 yds. and really learning the sight picture.
    Lol, i have to keep this thing out of sight to keep from having to take a few shots everytime i pass by it.

You have a incurable illness . But a PCP will help you through it all .Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    You have a incurable illness . But a PCP will help you through it all .Marvin
    Lol, been thinking along those lines, but resisting so far.
    A pcp in .25 cal. would be fun to hunt with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast