Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 100 yard Flintlock report

Banned

First 100 yard Flintlock report

Well now, that was fun! I got all dressed up in my gear as its how I will be hunting, with the exception of blaze orange thrown in to be legal... Even though bowhunters run around with us without the orange on

Don't worry fellers, this was just a prop picture, I put on my shooting glasses before I primed and took a shot.

I am shooting my Traditions .50cal 1:48 twist, Mountain Rifle with a French Amber flint wrapped in leather, 70gr Goex 3fg, .020" Bridgers Best patches lubed in Frontier's Anti-Rust and Patch Lube, home cast .490" round balls.

No swabbing was done during the shoot.

The 3 shots are the first 3 shots of the evening. After that, I didn't bother taking pictures as I was playing with pan charges, figuring out if there was another sweet spot or if I had found it already. She loves a heavy dose my 4fg Goex priming powder! 2 1/2 - 3 compression's worth.

Dead center, but quite a bit low. I'll make adjustments later on as I plan to change out the rear sight down the road for a semi buckhorn sight.

Notice my short starter? I picked that up at Rendezvous and during the Mountain Man Survival trail, that's where it was at all times. Tucked in snug between my belt buckle loop so it was easy to get to, yet secure.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice group.

Good group! Have you shot this rifle with conicals?

Banned
    nope not this one. The percussion model yes.

Man Jon Im sure glad you dont have any target pasters on that target it would have disqualified the whole darn thing. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Banned
    tomorrow there will be lol. I am down to my last target until my order comes in. Cleaning the rifle now and will adjust the sight up a bit.

Perma-Banned
    Are you seriously gonna hunt in that clothing?

Boolit Master
    If it's anything like early deer season in NM then he's probably overdressed I used to see guys in shorts, flip flops and no shirt.

I'm not worried if you don't use glasses. Our ancestors didn't use them unless they needed them to see and could afford them. So you're being period correct to drop the hearing and eye "protection"!
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Are you seriously gonna hunt in that clothing?
    Yup, I did last year and was warm all day long, especially with the evening wind.

No camo, I'll either wear my black traditional drop fly pants or my modern tan carpenter pants

Perma-Banned
    I'm not making fun of it, light white colors are proven to stand out like a BEACON to game unless you are in snow of course. Here in Idaho we are not required to wear hunter orange, its all camo for me, this is exactly what i hunt in, Idahoron took this picture of me with his rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	198337

Banned
    its a tan color actually, just washed out with the sun light. I have many shirts and colors to choose from. I have to wear blaze orange, so white is not really a color I am worried about.

Perma-Banned
    If i peeled my top off and went Tarzan I look like a Zebra from my tattoo! LOL, maybe some day I'll hunt Africa? If so I won't have to buy Camo!

GA requires blaze orange as well, they even have minimum amount listed in the regulation guide. It basically equates to wearing a vest.

Banned
    yep same here, vest and hat. I have to find a orange cover for my felt hat.

Perma-Banned
    blaze orange not required here in the communistwealth for muzzleloader or bow seasons but in regular rifle season ya hafta wear 100 square inches on the head or upper body & for some reason blaze camo not acceptable.

We always got a chuckle at the camo suits, especially when the game biologists published their findings that the colors the deer really don't see are hot pink and medium gray. We were waiting for that camo for sure. But the guys with store bought camo suits and ammo chuckled at my homemade mottled poncho and the homemade bullets and the cast bullet wildcat I used so reckon it all evens out and the deer tastes just the same.

FrontierMuzzleloading, looks like you've got that rascal about dialed in. And that's a nice looking piece too.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    We always got a chuckle at the camo suits, especially when the game biologists published their findings that the colors the deer really don't see are hot pink and medium gray. We were waiting for that camo for sure. But the guys with store bought camo suits and ammo chuckled at my homemade mottled poncho and the homemade bullets and the cast bullet wildcat I used so reckon it all evens out and the deer tastes just the same.

FrontierMuzzleloading, looks like you've got that rascal about dialed in. And that's a nice looking piece too.
    I agree with you to some degree on camo, I am definitely NOT a paint your face Camo FREAK kinda fella, but i do believe in it, i don't think its the color of the Camo, its the 'broken upness' of it, I have been under 20 yards from Elk MANY MANY times in Archery season, i have had bulls RUN in to my calling and be 15-20 yards, i could see the steam from there breath, i have had them look right through me, then to my sides and all round me, they obviously didn't see me as a threat or they would have tore the mountain side down leaving. NOW the Wind is a WHOLE different ball game, no matter how pretty YOU might think you smell, YOU STINK to an Elk, they turn and BURN if they catch you scent.

Solid White or a Tan, be it shirts, or pants, are something i would NEVER EVER wear deer or Elk hunting, light Solid colors are proven to stand out like a BEACON, If i were to wear Snow white camo in the Snow it would be the kind that is 'broken up'

I have to wonder if the biologists that come up with this stuff are tied to the same group that tells you Milk is bad for you, eggs are bad for you, ETC. ETC. the list goes ON AND ON! And the funny part is Tomorrow those products will be the healthiest thing you can Consume according to another report!

I go by MANY MANY days spent in the field amongst Deer and Elk, Sorta like the weather forecast, when i wake up and look outside i can tell you that minute what the weather is, beyond that i have no clue, nor does these weather apps on these smart phones, they change hourly. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

54bore,
    There's good reason why critters are colored like they are. 'Cause it works.

Name:	May Bell one year.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	198460

This is the updated version of the mottled poncho.

Name:	Jacket.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	198459

Can you tell I married a quilter?
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 06-25-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Since we're already off topic I'll share that I don't own any camo. I'm not opposed to it, just never bought any. I also agree with 54bore & Good Cheer about the mottled pattern doing more to hide you from deer than solid colored clothes. I'm not convinced either on scent covers. The last two seasons I've hunted on a friends lease. The first year I went with him and before we walked from the parking area to the stand, he sprayed me down with something to hide my human scent. Mind you we sat in a big box stand about 8 feet off the ground that's been in place about four years now. This past season he let me go by myself and both times the only scent blocking I did was to rub my boot bottoms in some dried cow pies before I walked to the stand. I hunted twice this year on his lease and brought home deer both times and neither one saw or smelled me and the only reason they heard me is because I neighed at them to make them stop just before pulling the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast