Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: ER32 tooling for a mini lathe

ER32 tooling for a mini lathe

In my 7x8 mini lathe I most often work with round bars or machine screws, but also with larger odd size and shape raw materials.
    Switching 3 and 4 jaw chucks seems to be very time consuming compared to the jobs.
    I looked on the ebay and found that for less than $120 this www.ebay.ca/itm/382075467974 can be had.
    All I would need to add would be a 1/2-13 threaded rod for a draw bar which I could get for about $5 from the local industrial fastener supply.
    I never used collet holder previously. Is this going to be good enough for 1/1000" centering? That's all I can dream of with the mini lathe.

Boolit Master

There used for a milling machine not a lathe.

I don't think anyone makes a draw bar system for a mini lathe
    but you might check here:https://littlemachineshop.com/?Sourc...FQJrfgodaV4CVQ
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I use er32 collets on the myford lathe I have , they are excellent . problem with the chuck with the taper and draw bar is you are restricted with the length of the work piece .The myford has a chuck that screws onto the spindle I adapted a er32 chuck that screws onto the spindle with a through hole ,which enables me to put long rods through the spidle bore up to 5/8 " diameter. Otherwise the er32 are very very useful .They are very accurate. Ialso use the collets in my milling machine so they get used frequently.
    The collet set I bought are metric sizes ,there is a better range of sizes in the metric set and they can be used for imperial sized work.
    They can be used on the lathe not just for a milling machine as some one posted .
    My big lathe has an adapter I made up for the er32 collet chuck to fit onto a D4 backplate so I can use them on it.
    BigEye
    Last edited by BigEyeBob; 06-23-2017 at 07:42 PM.

I too noticed that the metric sets offer a wider range and shorter intervals in each collet.
    The drawbar should not be a problem, I'll manufacture a bushing for the spindle bore and use a wing nut to tighten.

Boolit Master

A good resource for small machine guys is http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk in the UK. Fine folks and shipping costs are not too bad.

I have spindle chucks for my Myford Super 7 and the Clausing 8530 mill in ER25 and ER32. As BigEye said, they are super for holding tools or round work. Be careful that the held shank occupies most of the collet length - don't want to hold anything just at the mouth, as collet damage will result.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    IiRc my metric collets start at 1mm not sure would have to check ,but I know I have 19 in the set. Was thinking of getting a set of er40 for my large lathe as they reach up to 25mm.

What you are proposing should work fine as long as your lathe will accept the taper shank on the holder. You won't be able to hold long parts like a normal lathe collet setup can. You might look into inch size collets instead of metric depending on what size most of your work will be.

Boolit Master

For lathe use, there are backplate mounted ER collet chucks which accept long work that fits through the spindle. See:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...-Collet-Chucks

and

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=-421559299

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    I use er32 collets on the myford lathe I have , they are excellent . problem with the chuck with the taper and draw bar is you are restricted with the length of the work piece .The myford has a chuck that screws onto the spindle I adapted a er32 chuck that screws onto the spindle with a through hole ,which enables me to put long rods through the spidle bore up to 5/8 " diameter. Otherwise the er32 are very very useful .They are very accurate. Ialso use the collets in my milling machine so they get used frequently.
    The collet set I bought are metric sizes ,there is a better range of sizes in the metric set and they can be used for imperial sized work.
    They can be used on the lathe not just for a milling machine as some one posted .
    My big lathe has an adapter I made up for the er32 collet chuck to fit onto a D4 backplate so I can use them on it.
    BigEye
    I bought a ER25 set for my mill and as well got a second (parallel shank) collet chuck that I use in the three jaw of my lathe for small fiddly bits - these collets will hold (grip) the tapered profile of a brass case (within limits I guess - but 44/40, .303 brit, 22/250 work) so you could do stuff like turn rim diameter down real easy and quick - I like that you get good grip without marking stuff - great for dressing up small screws etc . Chinese stuff off Ebay - mine is ok .

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Just make the draw bar. Its just a long bolt
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER