RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: sorting lead

Boolit Mold

sorting lead

Got back into BPCR, and have to cast some bullets! This last batch I smelted was with a 2# octagon shaped puck of lead, that had some writing on it that I couldn't read. When melted it had a gold and purple color to it and very thick and heavy dross. It cast a heavy bullet and does not register on my LBT tester. Any ideas of what metal this might be. I didn't want to alloy it with anything till I find out if this is worth using. Thanks binski

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Pure lead makes a gold and purple sheen when really hot, and if it's oxidized any, it also puts off a lot of floating flaky stuff. Stir in some sawdust and wax and it should mostly go back into lead form and you'll just have a little powder to scoop off the top. Then it should make beautiful lead. If you get it too hot, it'll go gold and purple on you again. (the colors don't really hurt anything though.)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Beagle333. I thought maybe it was some kind of unknown alloy. It didn't fill out very well,as is so I"ll start adding some harder lead to it till I can get it to 20/1. Thanks binski