Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Good day at the range

Boolit Master

Good day at the range

Buckshot and I went up to the range yesterday and I had a bit of good luck. I was shooting my heavy barrel 40 caliber rifle, [heavy, like 30 LBS] which always draws a crowd. One gentleman came over and asked me the usual questions, such as what is it, do you load for it and do you cast your own bullets? He then proceeded to tell me about his father who also cast and reloaded. He said his father had passed away and left lots of loaded ammo but when he fired one of the 38 special rounds the bullet lodged in the barrel and he had to take it to a gunsmith to get it removed. The man then asked me if I could remove the lead from the cases and reuse it? I said of course. He then asked if I wanted the ammo? Naturally I answered in the affirmative. He then went to his pick-up and got a large plastic bag and brought it to me. It contained what you see in the picture There are five boxes of Winchester 38SPL semi wad cutters and one box of PMC 38 plus-p.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

That's a nice score and one heck of a tack driver.

Boolit Master
    Sure would like to hear details on the gun /loads ,and congrats on the ammo

Boolit Master
    If I saw someone at the range with that I would definitely ask some questions. Very nice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Sure would like to hear details on the gun /loads ,and congrats on the ammo
    Edward, I will try to answer some of your questions. The heavy barrel rifle is chambered for the 40-60 Maynard which you can make by expanding 303 British or 30-40 cases. I bought it from a friend's estate. When I bought the gun it had a Lyman 20 power STS scope on it. The action was made by Falling Block Works.The barrel was made by J.A. Clerke, better know as Bo. The barrel grooves are 408 and the twist is 1-16. I also got several molds with it. I normally load a 300 grain cast bullet sized 409 and pushed by 17 grains of 4759. That load shoots very well but yesterday I tried black powder and it did not go well. I foolishly used bullets lubed with Javelina smokeless powder lube. Bad idea. The barrel leaded badly and the black powder crud built up in a hurry. It took a lot of scrubbing to clean it. Thee is very little recoil. It goes without saying that I do not try to shoot it off-hand.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN