Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Consolodation day

Boolit Buddy

Consolodation day

I sent some samples to BNE the other day, turns out the #4 Babbit bars I had weren't ASTM #4 like I had hoped. 2.6%Sn, 5.3%Sb is a long way from #4 Tin based babbit.
    I had 4 different alloys I had mixed over the years and finally got confirmation of what they really contained. I mixed them all together, 4 ingots of this one, 3 of that one, and 2 each of those two, plus some tin, in 60 lb batches and ended up with 300 lbs of what should be real close to 1.45%Sn, 2.9%Sb and the rest Pb according to the alloy calculator. Should be a pretty good base alloy(calculator shows 11.7 Bhn), especially since most of my shooting is a 25-20WCF and a 38-55, both plain based and most loads run 12-1500fps. Should harden by water dropping if I decide to push the velocity in the 308. Now I've added a 45ACP, so with a little soft lead it will work well.
    I've still got WW, Lino and two different types of lead based babbit, guess I better get off my duff and find some soft lead to go with it all.

Boolit Master
    I did some of that as well recently. Several discs of left over alloy in the bottom of the pot and after some years no idea whatsoever what they might be. I hope to get some update on that in a few days so I will know what to use it for. That still leaves some left over bullets, pulled, or hardness tested and set aside and forgotten until now. It will be nice to get some of the stray ingots blended into something usable though. Good casting in the mornings before it gets hot these days. Dusty