WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrony Data: Rem FBI Load Duplication with Unique, Red Dot, BE-86

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar

Chrony Data: Rem FBI Load Duplication with Unique, Red Dot, BE-86

As it is of general interest to a number of us 38 Special lovers how we can duplicate the factory FBI Load - 158-grain SWC hollow point +P, especially the Remington version, I would like to add some of my chrono test data to the body of knowledge we who love the FBI load can use for getting close on duplicating it.

I am working from the baseline that IN GENERAL, the Remington FBI load makes an average of slightly more than 800 fps from 2" barrel revolvers. No one needs to inform me that this velocity varies with a number of factors. I'm taking that number as an approximate mark only, and from two reputable sources. Here are the two sources:

1) Stephen Camp - "From my 'slowest' barrel Model 642, Remington's 158-gr. LSWCHP +P hits 800 ft/sec with monotonous regularity."
    link: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/3...r%20LSWCHP.htm

2) Lucky Gunner - from Kimber K6s - average 802 low 767 5 shots - 767, 801, 802, 818, 824
    link: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revo...cs-test/#38spl

My chrono work on my reloads has shown some loads with numbers very similar to those.

35Remington convinced me a couple of years ago to pay attention to how the velocity is affected by the powder being forward in the case, as when the gun has just been drawn from a holster or raised from a low ready position. So my tests include that, and you see those numbers here. In each case, you see that the lowest velocity reading is from among the "powder forward" shots. Since the first shot fired in a self-defense situation would probably be "powder forward," that is significant.

Bullet was a 358429 HP at 160 grains.

Police Bulldog with 2.2" Barrel
    4.2 grains Red Dot - average 812 low 758
    powder forward 831, 772, 758
    powder rearward 829, 838, 847

Police Undercover with 1 7/8" Barrel
    5.0 grains Unique - average 802 low 753
    powder forward 796, 813, 753, 793, 767, 848, 867, 777
    powder rearward 804 775 812 864 825 804 804 844

Police Undercover with 1 7/8" Barrel
    5.4 grains BE-86 - average 808 low 768
    powder forward 812 800 780 798 768
    powder rearward 819 825 805 826 847

I found it very interesting to see the 5.0 grains Unique load perform so similarly to the Remington FBI load, since that load has been recommended about a million times on this discussion forum.

I also found it interesting that BE-86 did so well. (Dare I say better than Unique?) It is relatively new, and not many of us have much experience with it.

Hopefully this will be a good addition to the knowledge base. Anyone else want to post your data here in this thread?

Thanks.

LBS
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What is the cylinder gap of your revolver? Would be very useful to put data in perspective.

The 800 fps figure is about right for a revolver at mean assembly tolerance at 0.006" cylinder gap.

My 2" Ruger SP101 with 0.003" cylinder gap and .38 Special chambering does about 850 fps. You loose about 10-15 fps by firing .38 Special in a .357 chamber and another 10 fps for each 0.001" increase in cylinder gap.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Sorry, the 1 7/8" gun went off to my sister last year, and I never measured it. I've been meaning to check the other guns, maybe I could do that this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master
    In my own "Powder Forward" testing I make sure the powder is forward for each shot by orienting revolver for said shot. With powder rearward 4.7 Unique which is the top end of the standard pressure range I get 800 fps/158 SWC and around 720 fps powder forward in a Smith 638. 5.3 Power Pistol gets about 840/750.

Universal is less consistent than either of the above and in my opinion is one of the most position sensitive powders extant. It is horrible in the 32 Long as well.

For ballistic consistency reasons when a solid bullet is used I am a strong proponent of wadcutters in short barrel 38s.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gap of the above revolver is 0.006" with rearward pressure on the cylinder at time of measurement. 5.0 Unique does around 840 powder rearward with a 158.

Boolit Master
    I though the FBI load was +P+ ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    It is supposed to be. At least the old Winchester was/is that I previously mentioned. I use a solid 358477 or a HP'd 358156 cast of 40-1 over 5.4 gr Unique to duplicate both velocity and pressure of the Winchester +P FBI load.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-23-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Larry, you have reported that the Winchester load used to be 150 grains. Now it is 158 grains. Do you know when they changed it?

As this intrigues me, and I have a .357 snubbie, I wanted to do some digging.
    It seems the late '90's early 2000's Remington downloaded the round dropping 100fps, 800 vs the original 900fps they were loaded at. I grew up reading about the "treasury load", research has shown me the two loads were the same, just each took on a life of its own.
    Now, Buffalo Bore makes its version of the "FBI" load, in true Buffalo Bore fashion! It's a +P+ load, 158grn SWCHP at, a claimed, 1,100fps, out of 2" barreled revolvers. That's pretty interesting to me!
    There are others that seem to think the "treasury load" was a 135grn SWCHP, but I can't find anything other than speculation on that. I always remember reading it was also a 158grn slug.
    Then everything ends up in an argument about how much better the newer more better rounds are than either of these. But we want to cast so we don't give a rip about that fight!
    Anyway, interesting thread, I hope to learn more and may start a new thread with a different twist on it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Revolvers seem to suffer from more velocity robbing quirks than other guns. In addition to barrel cylinder gap there is bore and throat size, individual chamber dimensions, and end shake, not to mention the unfortunate fact that even many name brand revolvers today come with huge tool marks in the forcing cone and/or look like they were rifled with a rat tail file. Until you chrono a specific load through a specific gun you really don't know.

For example, 3.4 grains Bullseye/Lee 358-150-SWC/Federal primer is an accurate easy shooting load I have been using for years. I call it the "FBI lite" load, it clocks around 825 fps out of my 1967 S&W 10-5 with 4" barrel. This revolver is unusually tight in just about every way and has an honest .0015 or barrel-cylinder gap. The bore is nice and shiny too. Exact same load loses almost 100 fps out of my much newer 10-10 which hasn't been fired much at all. Unfortunately, this one has .010 barrel-cylinder gap and the bore is a bit rough. In fact, the chrono number for this load in the 10-10 and my 637 with it's stumpy 1-7/8" tube and .006 gap are nearly identical.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    XD38SPD lead bullet load was +P, not +P+, but measured using the older radial copper system.

+P+ LE loads are about 15% over industry +P standard. Once the industry went over to piezoelectric pressure measurement it may have been necessary to go +P+ to meet the velocity specification.

The current specification sheet for X38SPD on the Winchester Law Enforcement page specifies velocity using a solid test barrel, rather than the vented barrel which in was the contract requirements back in the 1980s.

The FBI firearms unit at Quantico tested experimentally some 147 and 158-grain JHP +P+ loads from the various manufacturers, but none of these were officially adopted, so far as I know. However, samples were sent out to field offices for evaluation and comment. This ancient history from the time Urey Patrick and John Hall were pushing for the "10mm Lite..."
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-23-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    They did adopt a Federal 147 +P (or possibly +P+) load in .38 Special for a while in the late 1980s. I recall seeing it issued to agents at the Dallas office of the FBI while I was seconded there on an Org Crime Task Force. The autopistols started being adopted wholesale about that time and rendered the .38 ammo issue largely moot.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    They did adopt a Federal 147 +P (or possibly +P+) load in .38 Special for a while in the late 1980s. I recall seeing it issued to agents at the Dallas office of the FBI while I was seconded there on an Org Crime Task Force. The autopistols started being adopted wholesale about that time and rendered the .38 ammo issue largely moot.
    I was told that all of the leftover test quantities of .38 Special went to the four FOs in Texas, so Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso probably got some as well. Phoenix, AZ may have also gotten some.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Low Budget Shooter View Post
    Larry, you have reported that the Winchester load used to be 150 grains. Now it is 158 grains. Do you know when they changed it?
    If you base this assumption on the post above yours where I give what I "duplicate" the load with the assumption is incorrect. The Old Winchester LSWC +P "FBI" load used to be a 158 gr bullet. My 358477 mould with 40-1 alloy casts out at 154 gr and they weigh 155 +/- lubed. The 358156 casts them of 40-1 alloy right at 160 gr and they weigh GC'd and lubed, after HPing right at 157 gr +/-. Close enough for government work.......

Here again is a picture of a box of the old Winchester +P "FBI" load.

Attachment 198236

Obviously they are 158 gr.

Larry Gibson

Does it really matter if the boolit is 158 grains?
    I would think any boolit near that weight(145-170) with a suitable nose shape and appropriate BHN would work when push at top speed. My point is, I don't think there is anything magical about 158 grains.
    It just happens to be a commonly available weight. If there is something about that I am missing, please educate me.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Does it really matter if the boolit is 158 grains?
    I would think any boolit near that weight(145-170) with a suitable nose shape and appropriate BHN would work when push at top speed. My point is, I don't think there is anything magical about 158 grains.
    It just happens to be a commonly available weight. If there is something about that I am missing, please educate me.
    I think it was a weight plus velocity equation that just worked? Why was the .357mag 125grn JHP rated as the highest man stopper available, 96% one shot stops? The 9mm has tried for years to copy that load, but can't match it, why? Kinda like the .45acp, 185grn FMJ or 235grain JHP (the "flying ashtray), both showed pretty much the same percentage of one shot stops, 89% as I recall.
    Some things just work right from the get go.

Banned

What does the Roman Catholic Church or 10mm Glocks have to do with the FBI Load???

Boolit Grand Master
    Has to do with fixation upon formulae and calculus over pragmatism and practice. I'm sorry that wasn't clear. The FBI Load in 38 Special works well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    What does the Roman Catholic Church or 10mm Glocks have to do with the FBI Load???
    Nothing, he asked a question and I tried to explain there's just no honest answer to it!
    That bullet, at that velocity just worked.

Actually it's pretty hard not to find a 800fps/snub nosed 38spl p+ load with most 150gr/160gr lead hp's.

I'm sure ww made several different versions of their 158gr lead hp's for their x38spd ammo. Not sure what year these came from.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Their current bullet has 3 cannalure drive bands.
    http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/H...es/X38SPD.aspx

Did a little testing with 5 different powders and 10 different bullets using a 2" bbl'd snub nosed revolver testing 38spl p+ loads. I did 10-shot strings with each bullet and added all the 10-shot strings/10-bullets together to get an idea of what to expect from a given power. The end result was a 100-shot string.

4.4gr of bullseye ='s 801fps @
    5.5gr of unique ='s 833fps @
    5.7gr of be-86 ='s 845fps @
    11gr of 2400 ='s 882fps @
    6.2gr of power pistol ='s 887fps @

Some of the swc used in the test.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not pictured above used in the test was the thompson design 358156 hp and a 358431 hb version of the lyman 358429 bullet that I hp'd using a forster hp tool.

Out of those 5 38spl p+ loads/powders tested power pistol was the least position sensitive, the worst was unique. And for the recorn I don't care, I'll still like to use unique in the 38spl's, 45acp's. It's an excellent powder in the 44spl's and 1 of my favorite powders in the 9mm's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast