Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Honeymoon in Montana

Boolit Master

Honeymoon in Montana

When I married my girlfriend, now my wife of 37 years, we took our honeymoon in Montana. Not having a lot of money but wanting to have fun and be by ourselves we decided to go backpacking in the mountains of Montana. More specifically in an area north of Lincoln in the Scapegoat Mountains of the Bob Marshal wilderness.

I didn’t have a lot of money as I’ve mentioned and gas was at an outrageous price of 64.9 cents a gallon most of the way out there.

We spent our first night in La Cross, Wisconsin at a Holiday Inn overlooking the Mississippi River.

The next day I drove into Lincoln and registered our back packing trip at the Ranger Station. One of the rangers said he would be in that area to relieve the ranger manning the fire tower in that section. The ranger said bears and cats make their rounds in that area so we needed to be careful and armed and asked if we were. I replied that I had an Elmer Keith gun. He nodded his head without comment.

I also bought a map of the area to make getting back to the car a little easier. Our planned trip was to last 4-5 days, but our entire honeymoon was for a total of 3 ½ weeks.
    I drove into the mountains as far as I could on Elk Creek Rd. and parked where the road ended and parked beside two pickup trucks. I hoped that no one would try to molest my car or steal anything, not that we left anything behind worth stealing, but you know how thieves are.

We set up camp no the high side of Heart Lake after a 6-7 mile hike up the mountain in a spot that looked like it was the best place for pilgrims on the hiking trail. That was as far as we could go that day. Although we both thought we were in shape, and we were, we were not used to the altitude of the mountains that made travel very slow and painstaking.

The next morning after breakfast we broke camp and headed for a smaller lake that was on the map about 3 or so miles away. I set my course in a straight line for the lake. This was a great lesson on hiking in the mountains. Lesson one; stick to the trails on the map.

We eventually made it to the duck pond as we called it was not the lake that I envisioned. It was shallow and overgrown and a home to a few ducks. We stayed the night and like the previous day we left right after breakfast for another area on the map.

After 5 days of a fun and uneventful hiking and camping trip in the mountain we became accustom to the altitude on the last day and hiked 9 miles back to the car without stopping to rest every 50 yds. I think we only stopped 4-5 times.

From there we traveled to Browning, Montana and camped in a little camp ground called Cutters Bank or something like that in Glacier National Park.

Next time I’ll tell about the rest of the honeymoon in Glacier, and Yellowstone.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Amazing how we remember the details of those special times so long ago, sounds like a fine honeymoon!!!

Boolit Master

My wife and I took two separate trips there and I almost filled an 8GB SD card with pics. Here are some of the best shots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYyHsfQBiY

Hope to one day settle there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    Amazing how we remember the details of those special times so long ago, sounds like a fine honeymoon!!!
    There is a lot I forgot or can't remember. Old pictures help you to remember.

Boolit Master
    Thirty-six years ago, we did a very similar honeymoon. We took three weeks and drove to the Tetons and Yellowstone in a Chevy van that I outfitted for camping. We camped most of the time, however I did have reservations for Old Faithful Inn. On the way back we explored the Black Hills and the Badlands. Both the wife and I had 35mm SLR's and took over 550 slides of the trip. The wife's next project is to scan them to digital.

Winelover

Boolit Master

This thread is no good without pictures.

Attachment 85552
    These pictures are from our picture album the quality isn't the best
    they were taken with a 110 pocket camera, remember them?

Attachment 85551
    At the camp site at Heart Lake.
    I'm in charge of mess.

Attachment 85553
    Cleaning up after supper.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome! Sounds like an ideal honeymoon idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Brings back memories. I did not honeymoon there, but I spent my formative hunting years all around Lincoln, MT. Copper Creek, Arrastra Creek, and a jillion other places. The BLackfoot river, until the leaching from the mines, was one of my favorite places to be.

Tim

We also honeymooned in Montana. Spent most of it in Glacier National Park.
    It was amazing and we plan to go back again someday.