RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MY holy grail

Perma-Banned
    Far, far more T/C stocks have been cracked due to ham-handed knuckle-draggers and their screwdriver than have ever been due to recoil. and the few that cracked from recoil IMHO was due to the fact the macho-man shooter was usin' a "Lead Sled" because they were afraid of a bit of recoil and didn't have sense to just load it down. my very first muzzler was a 54cal Renegade kit I finished myself. I put thousands of 430gr maxi-balls down it's gullet settin' on top of 90 to 120 grain equivalent loads of Pyrodex with no damage to the stock or any other parts of the gun. and you could tell it needed a new nipple when it started puttin' itself on 1/2 cock.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    Far, far more T/C stocks have been cracked due to ham-handed knuckle-draggers and their screwdriver than have ever been due to recoil. and the few that cracked from recoil IMHO was due to the fact the macho-man shooter was usin' a "Lead Sled" because they were afraid of a bit of recoil and didn't have sense to just load it down. my very first muzzler was a 54cal Renegade kit I finished myself. I put thousands of 430gr maxi-balls down it's gullet settin' on top of 90 to 120 grain equivalent loads of Pyrodex with no damage to the stock or any other parts of the gun. and you could tell it needed a new nipple when it started puttin' itself on 1/2 cock.

I fully agree bubba! They are plenty tough, and a little common sense goes a LOOOOOONG way!

Boolit Buddy

I agree with Bubba, My personal opinion on the Renegade is that it's just about the finest platform any Muzzleloader junkie should to start with for making a "race gun" or just plain comfortable hunting rifle.
    The other stocks forT/C products, excepting the NEW Englander, leave a lot to be desired with those dadblasted stocks.

Just my opinion and YMMV considerably.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

54bore,

Congrats on your find. When I seen the subject title My Holy Grail...I didn't really need to read the thread...I knew you found the ever elusive GM 54 LRH barrel. Be sure to post your progress and load development!

~ waarp8nt
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Buddy
    I received a text from 54bore today. He regrets to inform that he was removed from the forum. Not my business. I will report that his holy grail barrel did not disappoint. He shot her today 85grn Swiss FFG, .060 veggie wad and his own design 535grn hammer, pp of course. Results were very typical for the LRH GM Barrel. Under an inch for three shots. He is very pleased to say the least. I will not be a go between (I like it here) So that's the report. She shoots!

Boolit Man
    Sorry to hear he is gone, but so happy it is a SHOOTER!!!!

Jim

Boolit Master

It was made for sabots by the way.

Over tightening the lock holding screw isn't what you need to worry about in cracking a TC opposite the lock. The weakest point gets stressed perpendicular to the grain by the tolerances adding up against the rifle. It's the tang, the hook and the barrel. Found that out by observing an already cracked Renegade. When the barrel was seated into the channel it opened the crack wider. When the manufacturing tolerances add up wrong you pull the grain apart.
    Part of a repair needs to be bedding the tang instead of just screwing its tail down into the slot on top of the wrist. Bedding it into the position required by the other parts removes the strain and prevents your repair from getting pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    I received a text from 54bore today. He regrets to inform that he was removed from the forum. Not my business. I will report that his holy grail barrel did not disappoint. He shot her today 85grn Swiss FFG, .060 veggie wad and his own design 535grn hammer, pp of course. Results were very typical for the LRH GM Barrel. Under an inch for three shots. He is very pleased to say the least. I will not be a go between (I like it here) So that's the report. She shoots!
    Glad to hear it shoots! Sorry he is no longer a part of this forum, I have always enjoyed reading his post. Sent him a PM too, he is a great guy and will be missed.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Perma-Banned
    he hangs out at modern muzzleloading a lot now.

Perma-Banned
    forgot to mention, he goes by Id*****wis there as his username was 'sposedly already taken.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Over tightening the lock holding screw isn't what you need to worry about in cracking a TC opposite the lock. The weakest point gets stressed perpendicular to the grain by the tolerances adding up against the rifle. It's the tang, the hook and the barrel. Found that out by observing an already cracked Renegade. When the barrel was seated into the channel it opened the crack wider. When the manufacturing tolerances add up wrong you pull the grain apart.
    Part of a repair needs to be bedding the tang instead of just screwing its tail down into the slot on top of the wrist. Bedding it into the position required by the other parts removes the strain and prevents your repair from getting pulled.
    what can help heaps is to strengthen and seal the wood at the tang, entire lock mortise and entire barrel channel. all it takes is wicking quality (hobby shop grade) water thin CYA (CYAnoacrylate aka "super glue") into the wood grain (via capillary action). it really does help. in fact, CYA is an excellent crack/split wood mending glue. care does need to be taken about breathing in CYA fumes, but outdoors in a slight breeze or indoors with a low fan setting are the ticket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12