WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY holy grail

Perma-Banned

MY holy grail

I just found MY personal holy grail and bought it! A Green Mountain LRH .54 Cal drop in barrel. This is the first one i have seen in nearly 2 years of looking, calling, etc. Some questioned if these had even been made or not? In all of my searching I couldn't even turn up a picture of one, i have checked ebay, and the gun sites nearly everyday, i feel like i hit the LOTTO tonight! This barrel has truly been like a Ghost hunt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	198167

Oh wow. You snagged a cannon for sure.
    How heavy are you thinking on going?

Perma-Banned
    Good Cheer, this will be the bullet i likely stick with for it, if i can get it to shoot good, I have a several other stones to throw in .54, but this is the one i want to use. My Lyman Great Plains Hunter shoots this bullet REALLY good! We shall soon see. I am not sure the Twist rate of the GM LRH 54 Cal? The .50 is 1:28, and the .45 is 1:30, I am almost positive it's 1:28, i will call or email GM and find out for sure

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	198180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	198181

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	198182

Perma-Banned
    50 & 54 caliber LRH barrels are 1 in 28 but for some obscure reason 45 caliber LRH barrels are 1 in 30 twist.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    50 & 54 caliber LRH barrels are 1 in 28 but for some obscure reason 45 caliber LRH barrels are 1 in 30 twist.

Thank you bubba, i was pretty sure it was 1:28 Twist. I am looking forward to getting this one! It says previously owned, new never fired. Pictures are hard to tell much about a gun/barrel but From these pictures it appears to be brand new. This thing being so tough to find, the only thing i can think is Green Mountain must not of made many of the .54 LRH barrels? The .50 being way more popular, they likely didn't build a mountain of the 54s? I can say in nearly 2 years this is the only glimpse i have seen of one, with all of my RELENTLESS searching, had they made very many of them i think i would have seen or heard of a few by now, but NOTHING, until last night. All it took was 1

Boolit Master
    Now you can scratch that itch!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Good Cheer, this will be the bullet i likely stick with for it, if i can get it to shoot good, I have a several other stones to throw in .54, but this is the one i want to use. My Lyman Great Plains Hunter shoots this bullet REALLY good! We shall soon see. I am not sure the Twist rate of the GM LRH 54 Cal? The .50 is 1:28, and the .45 is 1:30, I am almost positive it's 1:28, i will call or email GM and find out for sure

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	198180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	198181

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	198182
    that bad boy has a heckuva FAT meplat! i'd assume for hunting the bigger game. but for long range distance, i dunno .... ?

Boolit Man
    I'm glad you were finally able to track one down, as things usually work ,since you found one another will probably just show up without you even looking for it.

I don't think the 54 was as popular because many people are shooting Sabots and for the most part the selections are the same as in the 50. Those that want to shoot bore size or paper patch are dealing with some pretty heavy chunks of lead. The average hunter just doesn't need that much lead to shoot a deer, in fact the 50 can probably take any animal we have in North America as can the 45 where it is legal to use. The buffalo hunter certainly didn't have a problem with 45 caliber bullets, some even used 40 cal.

Forgive the noob question but what does LRH stand for?

Perma-Banned
    LRH=Long Range Hunter

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    that bad boy has a heckuva FAT meplat! i'd assume for hunting the bigger game. but for long range distance, i dunno .... ?
    No ultra long range with these rfd, Big Game Hammer, i am hoping for good accuracy to 200 yards. Neither of my Fast twist .54s will likely get any farther than 300 yards. The 500 yard and possibly beyond will be done with my .45 and .50 with the streamlined BACO PP bullets.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Now you can scratch that itch!

Koger, This is an itch that feels REALLY REALLY good to scratch!! I pretty much gave up on finding one of these awhile back and ended up buying a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 Cal, it has the 1:32 Twist, it has taken a little time but that rifle has finally grown on me, at first I didn't like it, If it hadn't of shot great I could have easily done away with it, but MAN does that rifle shoot good! And its not finicky, i have tried a few different bullet, and powder combos, it seems to shoot anything I've thrown down it REALLY well. I sure hope this Green Mountain LRH .54 does as well as the Lyman, i prefer the feel of a Renegade or a TC Hawken

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    LRH=Long Range Hunter

Thanks!

Boolit Man
    Congratulations!!!! Now the question is, when do we get the range report?

Jim

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaElkSlayer View Post
    Congratulations!!!! Now the question is, when do we get the range report?

Jim
    Quick as i get it! I have a few different bullets sized, patched and ready to go when it gets here. I will do my usual full on scrub down cleaning of the bore, then install a Lyman 17AHB Globe front sight and replace the stock insert with a Lee Shavers, then fit it to a Renegade stock. It is suppose to ship out tomorrow, i should have it by the end of next week. I have really High hopes for this one!! This was definitely my White Whale

Boolit Master
    Crescent stock on the upper arm. Uff!!
    Your next purchase will likely be a 4-wrap of Ace Bandage for the bicep.

One reason for my purchasing of a factory round ball only barrel for my 54 was so to >not< shoot bullets.

I've shot more than a couple deer with my 54 and I never encountered one able to go beyond 50-ft hit with a Ball. Can't imagine the damage a 500 gr plus bullet will do to flesh & bone.

Perma-Banned
    Renegade stocks don't have crescent buttplates.

Perma-Banned
    The only Crescent butt plate that I REALLY didn't like was my Lyman Great Plains Hunter, the top of that thing was knife sharp! Needless to say it's NOT anymore, and it has a lace up pad on it. This new Green Mountain LRH 54 will be in a Renegade Stock, ive done made my mind up. I will put the old Pre Warning Renegade barrel in it now to bed, maybe drag it out someday and try Patched Round ball in it? I am pretty much done with stock 1:48 Twist guns

Boolit Master
    Renegade stocks don't have crescent buttplates.
    I stand corrected. There was mention of a renegade stock fitting just prior to my comment. {As I now have re-read Five-Four bore's complete thread for a second time.} I guess I miss understood his intentions thinking a Hawken stock use.

Just expressing my views:
    The only achilles heel five four bore and many others wanting such hybrid shooters have not yet addressed is the so so T/C stocks design and strength to absorb ultra heavy recoil/ shock. Surely a steady diet of heavy bullets and near Max powder charges fired through a fast twist barrel develop much more recoil /shock than anticipated in a renegades original engineered stock design. Without a doubt such additional stress will have effect on the weakest area of such rifles stock (wrist at tang and along wrist.)

To date one is still free to do what they please to their own stuff thank Goodness. On the other hand such enhancing {or not} changes to a beloved side-lock make for good subject matter open to both like & dislike opinions IMHO.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    I stand corrected. There was mention of a renegade stock fitting just prior to my comment. {As I now have re-read Five-Four bore's complete thread for a second time.} I guess I miss understood his intentions thinking a Hawken stock use.

Just expressing my views:
    The only achilles heel five four bore and many others wanting such hybrid shooters have not yet addressed is the so so T/C stocks design and strength to absorb ultra heavy recoil/ shock. Surely a steady diet of heavy bullets and near Max powder charges fired through a fast twist barrel develop much more recoil /shock than anticipated in a renegades original engineered stock design. Without a doubt such additional stress will have effect on the weakest area of such rifles stock (wrist at tang and along wrist.)

To date one is still free to do what they please to their own stuff thank Goodness. On the other hand such enhancing {or not} changes to a beloved side-lock make for good subject matter open to both like & dislike opinions IMHO.
    I fully agree about the Stocks not being the most durable, BUT Knock on wood (knock knock) i have yet to crack/break a stock. Things to consider are the sidelock screw being Over tightened, i NEVER over tighten this screw, just snug it up so it wont come loose. As far as powder charges go i rarely get above 90 Grains of 2F powder, i have found that 70-80 grains of Swiss 3F works perfectly in my rifles, i do not feel i am pushing the envelope by any means here. Now if one were to push 100 plus Grains of Hotter 2F powder such as Swiss and Olde E, and 500 plus Grain bullets on a steady basis you might run in to problems? I see no need to push this hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast