Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coat oven: user error?

Banned

Ive got a small apartment sized gas range in the garage I use. What I did was some experimenting with different alloys to find the lowest temp bullets slumped at (lineotype). I then turned it down 2o degrees (which turned out to be 460 on the dial) and that's what I use for all of them.

The other problem with PID controlled (or any control) is the overshoot in temp. PID learning will overshoot, then learn from repeated runs. Problem is when you change the load (amount of boolits), learned heating curve isn't correct. Yes, using a metal pan/sheet for baking will allow the pan to conductivity bake the boolits. One reason others use fire brick, etc. is to preload the oven so the PID doesn't overshoot when loading the empty oven - PID has learned a large mass heating so added boolits are just a smaller % of load. Actually my toaster oven has elements above and below, I wired the upper set to the PID and the other always on - can't get too hot and SSR only controls a smaller load so SSR can be smaller rated or smaller heat sink.
    I mostly ESPC 30 cal. rifle boolits and the hot plate is much faster. I load a flat glossy ceramic tile with ~ 90, place on H.P and 10 min (from cold), done. I could make a sheet metal plate with handles to place under the tile so I could change loads when hot but I don't do that many at a time anyway. No need for NSAF or parchment paper, just let them air cool and pop them off. Any PC that stays is removed with acetone. DON'T WD the tile!! When I WD, I just use hemos to pick and drop. Actually I've done HiTek the same way but acetone doesn't cut the stuff so use parchment paper or clean residue with a single edge razer blade. I don't even PID the hot plate - it won't get hot enough to melt IF the tile is used.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

I have to agree with bangerjim the fan needs to run all the time you are cooking bullets not just when the elements cycle on
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    I was having the same problem with my el cheapo toaster oven. Turned out I had the rack in upside down and it was too close to the bottom element. Turned it over. Same temp and time settings no more melted bullets. Boy did I feel like a dummy.
    Last edited by fgabriel; 06-28-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Boolit Buddy
    I've only melted bullets one time. Used the same oven, temperature, and time. Never happened again. Maybe ambient temperature messes with us?

Boolit Buddy
    My original oven died and replacement did not have convection (cheap replacement). Used thermocouple about 2" above plate trying to set temp at 400'F. The thermocouple never read over 300'F but bullets slumped at base. Unless it is a convection over the actual temperature of bullet can vary depending on surface (top and bottom) of support plate due to the radiant energy heat transfer. Actual surface temp of plate spiked passed over 500' F + when thermocouple was placed on plate. Just a heads up on what can happen. New convection oven works great!

Boolit Master
    Mine melted the first few times, there's a hot spot in my oven directly under the radiant heaters. Moving my tray down and adding a PID solved my issues (PID was double use, just another TC). My oven dial was off by more than 50f.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12