Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scales n Scales n Scales

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3. A Dillon Eliminator, A RCBS 1010 and a RCBS digital that must be about 20 years old and still is as accurate as ever. I check them all with a weight check kit. They are all pretty good.

Gone thru several versions of RCBS, Lee and Dillon, currently have a 505, have a new in box Hornady that I bought with a bunch of dead guy stuff that is looking for a new home. I always check zero when I start and use commercial j-bullets for check weights, current bullets are so consistent and if you do a light bullet-35 grain and a heavy bullet-150 grain you are checking both the accuracy at each end and the linearity of the scale. Gravity is linear and mechanical scale that is correct on each end is probably going to be accurate enough anywhere in between for me.

Have read great glowing reports about the digitals, from my day selling multi-thousand dollar lab scales I still have a hard time believing an inexpensive Chinese import can be that repeatable. The high end commercial scale companies wouldn't stand behind some of the accuracy and repeatability claims I have seen. Their Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility testing proved that they aren't good to the equivalent of 1/70,000th of a pound in non-lab conditions.

I'm sticking with mechanical, gravity always works, and I am rarely in that much of a hurry when reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/redding-relo...72.m2749.l2649

l just couldn't help myself.. Picked this little black Redding scale w/hydraulic damper. $30.. Looks almost NIB.. No lnstructions tho.l may have questions about the ''hydraulic damper'' part of the scale.. ls it possible for ''scales''to become an addiction

Perma-Banned
    I have 2 beams and a digital, my go to favorite scale is my RCBS 10-10, then my Redding, its a really old scale with the built in reservoir for oil to dampen the swing

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    2, both Dillon, digital and beam.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    "Ditto" Same as above.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

I only have as many as I need. Well maybe a back up or 2 also.

Vendor Sponsor

3 RCBS 5-0-5's, a herters beam, and a RCBS Chargemaster
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I check mine with a .22 Cal match grade bullet. 53 grains. Keep this bullet in my small parts cabinet. Same exact bullet for my entire career. I have several other home made "check weights". I only own 2 scales now. I have owned 5 or 6 over the years. Several different brands but almost all made by Ohaus. My first scale was a Weber. 1/40th grain resolution. It was a nightmare to use. As soon as the magnetic dampeners arrived I tossed it.

I know that if I check my scales with a scientific beam balance, they will be within +/- one tenth. I believe that if I need more accuracy than that, I am loading too hot.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

This reminds me I need to list a few I should move on the S&S section. I have 6 or 7 and only ever use one. The others have trickled in (pun intended) over the years from estate sales where it was all or nothing type deal. I've used the older redding without dampening last year for a bit as that was what was in my 310 tong loading box when I lived in a tiny space and loaded with just 310 tools for a year.

I like the idea of having a high grade match bullet as a constant check weight...I may have to do something like that as well.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

Scales? One RCBS electronic that I always use, and one CBS beam scale that sets there collecting dust.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy

One Lyman 1200 DPS3, one Hornady Balance Beam and a set of calibration weights.

Vendor Sponsor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0594.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	199047

I used a 10-10 for a few decades. When electronics came out I tried the big Lyman -$250 at the time. Did not hold zero even one powder charge. Exchanged it. Same deal. Back to the 10-10. Then tried the RCBS. It wandered too much also, but not as bad as the Lyman. About 1998 I drove over to Denver Scale in Arvada, Now Answorth scale. Spent the cost of three or four Lyman's. It is like picking up a cinder block.

I have never had one problem. In a blue moon it gets turned off. Otherwise it runs 24-7 and likes it that way. Fast, accurate, and always ready to go. (I load a lot of rifle with weighed charges)
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Started with a Lyman 500 I think and a lee safety. Sold the Lyman. Purchased a Pact digital used here I think many years ago. I use it and a Ohaus M5. The ohaus is best for 5g or less type loads.
    I do have 2 lee safety,lyman D7 which I loan out to new reloaders along with a single stage press and a die set. So my collection of scales and presses serve a few uses. I found it's best way to start a reloaded with almost no cost or investment on their part. Later if they want my old stuff I sell it but seems like the rest on here, I never pass on a good deal need it or not !!

I love this site and the hobbie. Happy 4th y'all, be safe.

Mike

Boolit Master

Get a check weight set. When in doubt, check the set weight. I had a 505 get damaged in a move and had already secured an RCBS Powder Dispenser with scale. It wandered off zero which was later fixed with a couple of cheap ferric oxide line filters on the power cord. I also picked up a check weight set then went overboard and bought a high end lab scale. It'll get real anneal to the tune of 2/100 of a grain if ya really want to be exact. Alittle overboard.
    Last edited by Greg S; 07-03-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Have 4, a RCBS charge master 1500, Ohaus 10-10, a Frankford 750, a gem pro 250.

Boolit Master
    I love old school equipment, so I have 2 beam scales; an old Herters single-beam, and an Ohaus 314 triple-beam. Both hold reliable zero; no wandering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12