Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scales n Scales n Scales

Boolit Buddy

Scales n Scales n Scales

O K out there, how many scales do you guys own?? l must confess that l own MORE than one. lt wasn't always like that tho.. Most of my app 40 years of reloading l only had an RCBS 505.. But a few years back l decided to get one of the newer RCBS digital scales just to get a second opinion and keep my 505 honest... Rocking along l happened on one of those cheaper pocket digital scales to keep tabs on my RCBS digital... But recently an accidental KABOOM by a member and friend over on the S&W forum caused me to rethink my scale collection... l knew l needed ANOTHER scale.. A balance beam scale like my 505 was next... So now l have an RCBS 10-10 scale.. Dust cover and ALL.. Now l can take FOUR readings. But what if l get 2 scales reading one weight while the other 2 have a different number?? Cant have a TIE vote, especially when it comes to scales...Seems l am on the lookout for a tie breaker.. Scale #5

//

I only have an older rcbs 505. It was sent to me by a member here after my house burnt down. Lost a really nice ohaus 10-10 in the fire. I send the 505 back to rcbs and had them go over it, didnt cost me anything but shipping to them. I'd like to find another 10-10 at a good price sometime.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a few of my scales - currently between 30-40 I guess. One or two little gems in there.

I've managed to behave on this front, I have a Redding #2 master scale. I don't trust digital scales, I've seen what a low battery can do in them!

Boolit Buddy
    I collect Redding and RCBS scales so I have about 20 more than I need.

Banned
    Don't know, there are for sure 50 Lyman 55's, all a little different from each other, other than that there are too many to count. At a minimum there are 50 more, probably a lot more, of different brands or models.
    Ken

I have 2, a Pacific from back in the day. Was new when I bought it. My other is a RCBS 10-10 that I bought about a year ago. Sometimes I get uneasy about a reading, then I fall back on my check weights.

I don't collect beam scales, I reload. To each his own.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I started out with a RCBS 505 and a small digital scale. I used the small digital scale for a while but wasn't comfortable with the readings at times as it seem to be "position sensitive" depending on where my smaller powder loads sat in the pan. When I started loading 8mm and 30-30, I started using the 505 more and I have really developed a love for that scale. It's my understanding that the 505 isn't offered by RCBS anymore ?? so I picked up another nice used one to take to our winter place to use. Then, it was sort of like "brass" - you're always afraid you "might run out" sometime so you add some more "just in case". I ended up buying an old but NIB 505 to have on the shelf - "just in case". And of course, I needed a "back up" for the one I had in AZ. So . . . at this point, I have four 505 scales - which should last me my lifetime! LOL

Boolit Master

I've got several. On the reloading bench I have two that I use the most.

RCBS 750 and a Hornady electronic. The two scales normally agree with each other.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

I have and used my dad's oil dampened Redding until I got the RCBS 505 at least 10 years ago. A couple of years ago I my kids got me a Lyman Gen6. I didn't think I'd like it but I've changed my mind.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Man
    I have a Lee Beam scale and a digital scale, forget which brand.

Boolit Grand Master

Just like with presses and lube sizers, I have enough and then some. You never know when you'll do something foolish or one will break.
    Over the years I've collected bargains.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Ohaus M5's, Ohaus 10-10's, RCBS 10-10's ole ones, Lyman D7's, RCBS 5-0-5's
    most tuned by Scott Parker. Dillon Digital that I don't use much

-Rock

Boolit Grand Master

I have several right now the original 5-10 RCBS I started with 30 some years ago, and its still going strong. A Dillon 1500 grn model that's no longer made but still working, A redding oil dampened I just bought "because". $10.00 at a gun show with original box and instructions. A Gem pro 250 for the .02 grain accuracy and a RCBS 304 scales that I always wanted on the bench. One thing that goes with the scales (especially if you have several of them) is a set of check weights to prove that 10 grns is 10 grns on each of them. I normally use my check weights like we did gage blocks in the shop. a stack up to the desired weight or charge then weighted to verify scales are accurate right at that point. Its easy enough to do and takes any question out of the set up

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=country gent;4081212]I have several right now the original 5-10 RCBS I started with 30 some years ago, and its still going strong. A Dillon 1500 grn model that's no longer made but still working, A redding oil dampened I just bought "because". $10.00 at a gun show with original box and instructions. A Gem pro 250 for the .02 grain accuracy and a RCBS 304 scales that I always wanted on the bench. One thing that goes with the scales (especially if you have several of them) is a set of check weights to prove that 10 grns is 10 grns on each of them. I normally use my check weights like we did gage blocks in the shop. a stack up to the desired weight or charge then weighted to verify scales are accurate right at that point. Its easy enough to do and takes any question out of the set up

3 currently, RCBS 10-10, Lyman Gen 3, and RCBS 1500. I've taken to the 10-10, for me reloading is a hobby and I don't mind taking my time. When I find a good load, then I can switch to Lyman for faster applications. I just enjoy the non modern things.

Three, but my Redding gets the most use.

QUOTE=sw282;4080806]O K out there, how many scales do you guys own?? l must confess that l own MORE than one. lt wasn't always like that tho.. Most of my app 40 years of reloading l only had an RCBS 505.. But a few years back l decided to get one of the newer RCBS digital scales just to get a second opinion and keep my 505 honest... Rocking along l happened on one of those cheaper pocket digital scales to keep tabs on my RCBS digital... But recently an accidental KABOOM by a member and friend over on the S&W forum caused me to rethink my scale collection... l knew l needed ANOTHER scale.. A balance beam scale like my 505 was next... So now l have an RCBS 10-10 scale.. Dust cover and ALL.. Now l can take FOUR readings. But what if l get 2 scales reading one weight while the other 2 have a different number?? Cant have a TIE vote, especially when it comes to scales...Seems l am on the lookout for a tie breaker.. Scale #5

Sooooo, The best way to trust any scale is to get a set of calibration weights and check your scale on a regular schedule. I have gotten ride of all my beam scales ( ohaus dial a grain and other beam scales). I use RCBS 1500 Chargemaster trickle, RCBS 750 and RCBS 2000. They are all checked routinely and all are dead on. Just much more convenient for me and my reloading requirements.( My 2 cents)

//[/QUOTE]
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

Yes with the set of calibration weights you know what the scales are doing. Any measuring insterments with out the calibration sets are in question until they are calibrated or zeroed. Michrometers over 1" have a standard with them, indicators are checked with gage blocks on a surface plate, Calipers can be checked with gage blocks easy enough also. Scales also need to be checked every once in awhile for accuracy and repeatability due to any wear or changes that have taken place. The check weights can cover a lot of different uses. Using them as gage blocks to check a scales at a given setting point insures the scales is set correctly ( not off one notch or some other little thing) and reading correctly at the actual setting point. Assuring you of the scales and the set up is accurate

Boolit Master
    2, both Dillon, digital and beam.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast