Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Reloading for cz 50 and cz 70 32acp

Boolit Mold

Reloading for cz 50 and cz 70 32acp

Hello, I recently acquired a cz 50 and a cz 70 (pretty cool comblock pistols!) I'm looking to begin reloading for them. I do not cast my own projectiles, but I was looking for experience from anyone who reloads for these pistols, and what available projectiles they prefer to purchase. I'm reloading for these with the sole purpose of plinking. Anyone have any experience with the berry's 71 grn plated?
    Thank ya'll in advance!

Boolit Buddy
    I use Missouri Bullet Company's #18 cowboy with Titegroup in my 27, 50 and 70.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Have not used Berry's 71-grain plated, but it would be preferable to trying to improvise with a heavier bullet NOT designed for the .32 ACP, in which a longer shank and bearing surface interferes with the internal case wall taper, causing bulges and also resulting in the bullet base also deeply intruding into the powder space, causing dangerous pressure spikes in this tiny case.

With 71-73 grain factory-style FMJ bullets a charge of 2 grains of TiteGroup or 2.3 grains of Bullseye approximates factory loads. 2.5 grains of Unique or AutoComp also works well, as does 5.5 grains of Alliant #2400. Minimum safe OAL is 0.945", maximum OAL is 0.98" for an FMJRN. If you want to cast your own bullets, Accurate molds has NUMEROUS designs optimized for the .32 ACP, including heavier 87-95 grain ones having long noses and short bearing length.

These are the ones I use mostly: Attachment 198187Attachment 198188 Attachment 198189

Many old threads here on loading for the .32 ACP, try the search function.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the in depth reply, I've been searching the internet...but the reason for me creating a new post was due to the specificity of the two pistols I'm looking to reload for. In alot of posts I come across "fininiky this" and "fininiky that" in regards to the cz 50 and cz 70 (about these pistols in general yanno). Alot of reloading for the 32 acp seems to speak about even older 32 autos from the first half of the 1900's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I've been come across alot of former discussions about both the casing and "hotness" of factory rounds.

It seems as though European manufacturers produce brass with a slight difference to the rim that allows these cz's to run smooth as well as a hotness to some European manufacturers (seller and belliot and geco) that once again helps the functionality of these cz's?

Have any of you experienced this? When reloading 32 acp do you sort by headstamp due to this?

When reloading I hate to go "hot" and just look for smooth functionality, especially for a pistol, and of course I will work up loads, but did Yall find that you have to run on the upper end? (Ugh not that there's any wiggle room with 2.0 and 2.2 grains of titegroup)

Boolit Master
    First of all a lot of overseas 32 auto seem to have oversize bores its best to slug out your bore to find out. Any where from 309 to 312 size. Same with the 9mm 354 to 359 that i slug out. Seem like they have no standard size like US made guns. A gun will never be accurate with undersize bullets. Ask me how i know that.

Quote Originally Posted by candlejackstraw View Post
    ...It seems as though European manufacturers produce brass with a slight difference to the rim that allows these cz's to run smooth as well as a hotness to some European manufacturers (seller and belliot and geco) that once again helps the functionality of these cz's? Have any of you experienced this? When reloading 32 acp do you sort by headstamp due to this?...
    "Rimlock" is a function of overall cartridge length which permits cartridges to "shuffle in the stack" in the magazine. It has little or nothing to do with rim configuration.

If you maintain a minimum overall cartridge length of .945" you should not have any issues with rimlock.

The web construction and internal case taper and mouth wall thickness varies by manufacturer. Some Euro brass has a pronounced step or internal wall thickening which serves to support the bullet base and prevent telescoping of the bullet and changes in seating depth which increase load density and can spike pressure. The Accurate bullets have a base-to-crimp length which limits base intrusion into the powder space so as not to exceed that of 73-grain CIP hardball, and those bullets, when seated to 0.645-0.97" OAL will not bulge the case body.

In a tiny case such as the .32 ACP heavier walled cases reduce the available powder capacity and affect loading density. I use either RWS, Geco, Fiocchi or Starline brass, which in the clean, sized, decapped and ready-to-prime condition weigh 40 +/- 1 grain. I do sort cases by headstamp.

I have found 2.0 grains of TiteGroup as measured by the RCBS Little Dandy rotor #00 (the smallest they make) is a satisfactory load with any .32 ACP bullet from 71-95 grains as long as the bullet design permits an overall cartridge length of at least 0.945".

It is a mild load with a 71-77 grain bullet and a "hot" load with a heavier bullet:

.32 ACP Tests, LD#00 2.0 grains TiteGroup, Starline case, CCI500, Beretta M1935, 3.4" barrel

31-077B 893 fps, 19 Sd
    31-090B 902 fps, 16 Sd
    31-095T 909 fps, 10 Sd

All bullets here cast from COWW air cooled, sized .311" and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox,
    Ctg. is OAL 0.945" throughout and profiled in Redding die. These flat-nosed bullets all feed 100% in my Beretta M1935, Colt M1903 Type III and Walther PP.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-23-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for that in depth explanation and your data observations. I ordered some geco factory ammo so I can have that brass available.

In other threads I've read about extraction differences with the European rims. I came across a picture someone had comparing American rims to European rims. Do any of you recall seeing something like that?

What type of accuracy do you get with a CZ 70 with boolits?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    What type of accuracy do you get with a CZ 70 with boolits?
    Attachment 198465Attachment 198466

NEI #82 mold I used to use was shortened to 88 grains.
    I have since replaced that mold with Accurate 31-087B and 31-087T which do better.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I am keeping an eye out for a CZ 70 but it looks like I missed the good deals on them.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.