WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Increasing size die diameter?

Boolit Buddy

Increasing size die diameter?

New Ruger Flattop Bisley 44 Special
    New LBT .431" 250 WFN 4-cavity mold.
    New RCBS .431" sizer die

Swagging pure lead balls through the bore (.430") and then the throats (.431"). When I cast straight clip on WW, then size them with the .431" sizer, they come out .430". I'll shoot them this way first but if the accuracy suffers and if I need a .431" bullet, neither RCBS nor Lyman make a .432" sizer. I figure I need to lap out the sizer die to .432". What's you favorite way to accomplish that?

Thanks,

Alan

Boolit Master
    There were some people on this forum who could alter you sizing die. Try searching the archives.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I have polished out a Lee push through size die with just a dowel and a piece of fine grit sandpaper. Does not take long and I think there is a sticky on the process.

Main thing is to check often. Hard to put it back on evenly.

Boolit Grand Master

You can lap or polish the die out several ways. The .001 you wanting to gain wont be a real problem to accomplish. A wood dowel close to diameter of the sizing die 4" -5" longand 3/8 dia would suffice. put a wrap of tape on it. Leave a short tail to hold sand paper in place this needs to be so that drill rotation dosnt unwrap the paper. a piece of 400-600 grit paper wraped to a snug fit in the die. Leave enough bare dowel for the drill chuck. at low rpms and a high feed rate work the polish rod back and fort in the die lightly oiling or wetting with water as you go. Check often for size measuring or assembling and sizing a couple bullets. The other way is a actual lap made from brass or lead and a abraisive lapping compound impregnated in it. The wood dowel and sand paper is a quick easy way and works well. The 400-600 grit gives an adequate finish but to get it finer use a piece of flannel and flitz, simichrome or even tooth paste aas a final polish. You may want to break the sharp edges on the lube hiles to while your at this.

Go to NOE bullet molds site and check out their bushing size dies. they have solved a lot of sizing problems for me. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Go to NOE bullet molds site and check out their bushing size dies. they have solved a lot of sizing problems for me. Gp
    How does a bushing size die work with the RCBS Lube Matic?

It doesn't and won't help if you want to lube and size at the same time. Country Gent has said it all. 0.001" is pretty easy to take out of a sizing die using his method. The push through bushings from NOE are aimed at the powder coat crowd and aren't much use to those who want to use lube.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fred2892; 06-23-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you very much for your time and knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master

As a side note GSSP. When polishing out the die you want the polish lines to cross over each other at a 45* angle or so. this makes a smooth surface that dosnt grab or pull metal. Another trick is to polish the radious leading into the die also. I have some small brass balls turned up on stems I use with fine lapping compound to break the burrs on the inside of the lube holes also. While not super necessary these little touches do smooth operation and make things run smoother and easier.