Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 375 win brass from 30-30,38-55

Boolit Bub

375 win brass from 30-30,38-55

I tried to load up some 38-55 brass and also converted 30-30 brass for a 375win and noticed that the brass walls were a bit thinner than factory Winchester 375win brass. When I loaded up a jacket bullet into the full length sized converted (mixed headstamps) brass there was very little neck tension and bullet setback was a concern of mine. This lead me to get the lee 379-250 mold, this way I would get some neck tension.

If the case walls are thinner than the 375win brass would there be any safety with pressures if loaded within the cast 375win data for the 250grain. I will be ordering some of the captech 375 brass but wanted to ask if the 30-30,38-55 is safe for future use.

THanks again.

If the cases are thinner then the case capacity would be greater which should lower pressures. So if using published cast loads you should be fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Many "375 Winchester" chambers are actually cut long enough for 38-55 brass, and throats easily accepting casts of .377"-.379" are common.
    A chamber cast, or simple pound-cast, will help determine those measurements.

I'd use the longer 38-55 brass if the chamber permits, and size casts close to throat size.
    There is plenty of cast data in print for 38-55 (and any mid-pressure 375 cast data would be fine in a modern firearm designed for 375 Win)...38-55 brass is usually easier to find, so that's another benefit worth considering.

Boolit Master
    Your cast bullet loads will be fine if your pressure does not exceed the limits for jacketed .30-30 ammo.
    If you use the thinner brass use a .38-55 FL sizing die. The .38-55 die is .005 smaller inside than the .375 die to compensate for the thinner brass.
    Don't have a .38-55 FL die? Then use a .30-30 FL die and just run the case in just enough so you can expand the case to the right diameter.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

The thinner necks will not affect pressures that much but where it does matter is the heads thickness and wall thickness at the head and thru the body of the cases. Case walls ant straight walls but are tapered from base to mouth getting thinner to the mouth. Hence the cases may be fine other than the neck tension issues. Necking up thins and shortens brass necking down thickens and lengthens it. On the 30-30 it may not change a lot below the old shoulder of the case.

My 375 Winchester barrel accepts the shorter starline 38-55 brass.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Or just buy some here while they have it, decent price as well.
    http://www.captechintl.com/proddetai...od=BCS375WIN20

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info. I will double check if they are within the 30-30 pressures. I did order the captech brass but I just wanted to know for all of the formed brass that I already have.