Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Crosman 760

Boolit Master

Crosman 760

My parents gave me a Crosman 760 pellet/BB gun when I was about 8 for Christmas. That was in the mid 60's. Hundreds of birds and thousands of pellets and BB's later it quit pumping and holding air. I think WD-40 may have had a part in it's demise as well. About 30 years ago I bought a new 760 thinking I'd take parts from it to get my old gun working again. When I got home and opened the box I could see there was no way parts from this new pellet gun were going to work in my old one. I shot the new one a few times, but the plastic and flimsy thing soon bored me, but my son shot it for years. Although the front sight has long been missing, it will still shoot. A few weeks ago I saw a picture of one of the wood and metal 760's on the net and got to thinking how cool it would be to fix it up for the grandson to shoot when he came for a few weeks this summer. I found a seal kit on fleebay of all places and figured I would give it a try. For less than 5 bucks and a few hours of my time, my old pellet gun was shooting like new.

When my grandson showed up the first thing out of his mouth was "look what my other grandpa gave me". Out of the car comes a new "Crosman 760" I was a bit deflated since I hadn't had the chance to show him the "new" one I had for him. We went out shooting them today. He was happy to have his own gun and for this grandpa to have one to shoot with him, so all is good.

It was a nostalgic to play with the old gun I learned to shoot with, but kind of sad to see what Crosman is calling a 760 today.

Boolit Master
    Yep these are fun to have around. I found mine laying in the grass along side the road, thrown away because of a broken rear sight.
    I put a scope on it and it worked fine for years, I only recently had to reseal it along with a new valve stem. I added a rifled barrel, my 760 was an 80's smooth bore. Some older versions came with a rifled barrel others were smooth bore.
    I also made a wooden butt stock better proportioned for an adult.

Literature on the early dump valve models suggest that you can pump them up to 25 strokes, the modern ones say no more than 10.

Boolit Master
    Crosman could not sell the new 760 at a price point people are willing to pay if they made it like they used to.
    The reseal kits are still available as you have seen. Crosman CS is still pretty good at hooking you up with parts for the older models or at least if they know their stuff can cross reference parts that will work.

A tip to anyone with older air guns. If you want to keep them and pass them down buy several rebuild kits now.

As for the "other" gramps beating you to the pellgun gift.
    Next year or for Xmass give him the 760 you learned to shoot on. It will have a completely different meaning to him.

Boolit Master
    The rifled barrel I ordered from Crosman is one used with their M4 177 and a similar assault rifle styled multipump air gun. Those models use many 760 internal parts.
    To fit one of these barrels you have to also order the plastic barrel support, which is cheap, because once pressed onto the barrel breech you can't remove that part without destroying it.
    The replacement barrel is shorter than the original and has no provision for sights. I use a scope so that's not an issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The rifled barrel I ordered from Crosman is one used with their M4 177 and a similar assault rifle styled multipump air gun. Those models use many 760 internal parts.
    To fit one of these barrels you have to also order the plastic barrel support, which is cheap, because once pressed onto the barrel breech you can't remove that part without destroying it.
    The replacement barrel is shorter than the original and has no provision for sights. I use a scope so that's not an issue.
    I have converted a few smooth bores to rifled over the years.... WHY I do not know. Just cause.
    I have a daisy 880 that I put a rifled barrel on that originally came with a smooth bore.. Air guns can be fun and its not hard to modify and make them "better" and there is generally only lost time if you mess the inexpensive ones up. Almost all my air guns came to me free or very cheap

Boolit Master
    My early 760 seemed to last forever, and was pretty accurate even with BB's. I went through many thousands of BB's and pellets. I'd still have it if someone hadn't broken into my house some years ago.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Since the recent incarnations of the 760 including the rifled barrel assault rifle styled replica guns have a multiple round sliding barrel pellet clip I don't see why they don't at least offer a rifled barrel version of the 760 as optional at a slightly increased price. They are already making the barrels for those other guns so no tooling up costs necessary and they use the same breech support.
    The replacement barrel I ordered was not expensive, around 10 bucks IIRC. Using a rifled barrel should only add a couple of bucks to their production costs, and they'd sell more rifles while charging only a little bit more as suggested retail price.

The difference in range and accuracy is amazing. I did have to re-crown the replacement barrel in order to get tight groups, the factory crown was downright lumpy. Once I recut the crown using a small grinding ball on a low speed dremil tool clone dime size groups at fifty feet are the norm with a high percentage of one hole groups half that size. So long as fairly high quality pellets are used of course. The Beeman coated wad cutter works best, with the 10.5 gr GAMO Whisper/ silent cat next.
    It handles the GAMO lead BBs very nicely as well. I haven't tried feeding them through the magazine yet. Being non magnetic the magnetic probe tip won't be of any help holding them in the chamber, but these BBs are large enough in diameter that they don't just roll out of the rifled barrel.

Perma-Banned
    It is sad to see some of this new stuff that carry the same model number etc. as the older ones, when quality is nowhere near the same

Boolit Master
    Mine is 50 yrs old. Never needed repair

I've had a 761XL since the late 70's. Recently put a whole new valve and pump cup in her, good for another 40 years.

Boolit Master
    "761XL"

Isn't that one of the rifled barrel versions?
    A lot of air gun in a small package.

"good for another 40 years"
    I would not be at all surprised.

One thing I love about restoring old airguns is that done properly I know these will now still be working like new long after I'm gone to whatever reward awaits me.

Yep. Walnut stock, gold receiver and rifled barrel.

Boolit Man
    jmlj

I also got a 760 in the late 60's, well actually a sears model of the 760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2397.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	201319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2398.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	201320 I had eleven brothers/ sisters so I didn't get the real 760. It was probably 50cents less. I was the first and last to ever get a gun. ahh the broken windows bb gun wars. Mine still pumps and shoots, although it does so just barley. I bought seals about 12 years ago, just need to put them in. My brothers friends dog got hold of the pump stock. boy was I bummed.

Boolit Master
    Mine's a 2001, I've been enjoying it. Rebuilt the innards,
    found an old Crosman scope on eBay and made some copper shims to mount it.
    Plenty accurate with pellets, BBs just about hold minute of pie plate at 25 yards.
    It gets about 535 fps at 10 pumps with a 7.4 gr. I've got other airguns for real power, this makes a great back porch plinker. I know it's all plastic, but it's actually very well designed and has a brass valve assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3981.jpg   IMG_3982.jpg  
    Last edited by Boolseye; 08-14-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    Mine's an 80's model originally smoothbore but upgraded with rifled barrel. After replacing the original valve during a reseal it does not seem to hit as hard. The original valve is brass with steel stem, the replacement is plastic with steel stem.

I did not get a chance to chrono this gun before the reseal but since then I chrono'ed after the upgrade and reseal. At 10 pumps it gets 525.9 FPS with a 7.7 Beeman wadcutter. At 12 pumps velocity is 536.7, at 15 pumps it gets 569.5.

Besides the newer type plastic valve I replaced the pump cup. I suspect this is one reason it takes more pumps to get the same impact as previously. The old pump cup had formed itself into a perfect fit over the end of the brass valve body. There was even a tiny nipple like protrusion that fit into the inlet hole.
    I figure this was a result of years of deformation of the rubber under pressure while soaked with transmission fluid with stop leak additive.

I've considered putting the old pump cup back in, but the gun is far too accurate as is to mess with it again unless absolutely necessary.

I found a already dirt cheap compact airsoft/airgun scope on sale and mounted it. Its a very good little scope and perfectly suited to the 760. Single hole 3 shot groups at 10 yards are the rule with excellent groupings at 20 yards.

The Daisy 880 still outshines the 760 in velocity and it equal to it in accuracy.
    The Daisy got 626 FPS at 10 pumps and 635 at 12 pumps. Both using the 7.7 Beeman.

The 10.5 gr Gamo is a hard hitting pellet in either gun. Unfortunately GAMO quality Control is near non existent with many deformed pellets. The GAMO lead 177 round ball is also a good shooter in both guns but once again Quality Control blows chunks with many deformed BBs with voids and chunks missing. You have to sort GAMO and RUGER branded airgun shot very carefully to cull the bad ones if you want tight groups.
    Beeman pellets seem to be of the best available quality but occasionally you will find flash hiding inside the skirt. The Beeman Coated Wadcutter has proven exceptionally accurate in all my .177 air and CO2 guns.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered up a few tins of pellets from Walmart, some Crosman pointed and devastators. 3 .177 guns to feed now, and it's hard to pass up Walmart prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Mine is 50 yrs old. Never needed repair
    Mine is slightly older. Still shoots fine although I don't shoot it often preferring the break barrels. Miserable trigger with the higher pump count though.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.