WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accurizing the Ruger 10/22

Boolit Master
    manleyjt--

The auto bolt release is a convenient feature and easy to do.

The cleaning hole at the rear of my receiver is smaller than 5/16---It disappears when the action is in the stock. The rear of the action is quite thin - why tap it?

Consider pillar bedding - this might help accuracy.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

hiram,

Main reason is it looks more professional and finished. But I can also understand that there really is no need to plug the hole.

The only reason I would tap the hole is to keep junk out of the action. There is already more crap in there than one needs, but it is all in the front of the bolt form firing. Getting dirt/dust/water into the back where it can get on the spring may gunk things up a bit and cause problems.

Did you pillar be only the fron of the action or did you tap the rear and put a pillar and bolt back there also? I have seen on that was drilled and a pillar installed at the back. I would be interested in see a few pictures of a pillar bedded 10-22 if you have a few.

Boolit Master

I believe that, in the old days, one was prompted to use a round-head brass screw chucked in a drill, and clover compound. Costs 'way less than $15...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

This brings back memories of my 77/22, which as you probaly know is the same barrell mounting araingment. When brand new it shot pretty good,but i couldnt leave well anuff alone. Ruger put a pressure point in the forearm, and i sanded it all out, and floated the barrell. Next trip to the bench, the point of impact changed about 12-15 as a recall, and the accuracy was lousy.I started to put pressure back in the forearm, and eventually i got back to where the gun was shooting on again, Amazingly the gun shoots its finest groups with the same pressure ruger put in it at the factory. I think it all has to do with that clamp that holds the barrell in.

Boolit Master
    I'll try to get pics tomorrow
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

mainiac,

Funny I did the same thing and I found another facotry takeoff stock and put it on and voila back to the original shooting.

I have a friend who tapped reciever and threaded a new barrel and made it a screw on barrel. It helped with his free floated stock, but it sure seemed like a lot of work for a plinker. Now the guys who are building serious target/competition rifles do all sorts of interesting things to the 10-22 including very expensive steel receivers and aftermarket trigger groups.

Hiram,

Can't wait to see the pictures

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12