RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: WARNING: IMR Target!

Boolit Master

WARNING: IMR Target!

I picked up a few lbs of this powder to try out. In my .45 ACP and 10MM I've had really good luck with it.

Yesterday I decided to load some 9mm on my Hornady LnL AP. In 200 rounds I had 34 short drops. Today I did 200 rounds of .38 SPL on the Hornady and had 37 short drops.

The powder works fine in my Dillon powder measure. However through two different Hornady powder measures it was bridging in the base of the measure. I never had a long drop. In fact it would sometimes drop 2-3 shorts in a row.

If you're going to load this powder make sure to have some sort of positive powder check on your press. I was loading 3.5 grs on the .38 SPL and the short drops were anywhere from 1.1 grs to 2.3 grs. I know my eyes would have a hard time catching that 2.3 gr drop in a .38 SPL case.

Again, Dillon powder measure is no problem. Two different Hornady powder measures had the same problem. I also ran some Titegroup and Unique through the Hornady measures with no problem.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    Good to know, thanks! For this reason amongst others, every toolhead for my Dillon has an RCBS Lock-out die in it. It doesn't mean you don't need to pay attention but should something slip past your vigilant watch of the operation the die will lock the press up from cycling if a problem occurs.

One of my fellow competition shooter buddies has a LnL and it is pretty picky on powder selection it seems. My Dillon doesn't seem to care what you pour in it! LEE's auto-drum seems to be pretty adaptable too. No problems from those either.

I have some of the new IMR Target but yet to test it.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Thanks for posting. Always good to know of issues with a powder measure with specific powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Now we need others to try it and see if they have the same issue. May be an isolated incident. Still good information.

Boolit Master
    any idea what is causing the problem? I have a LNL na d have never had a problem in over 10,000 rounds but the majority of the powders I've used are Unique, HP-38, Bullseye. I just started using Trail Boss which has much larger flakes and wasn't sure if that could cause issues but I haven't had any problems yet.

Boolit Master

It has to be bridging in the base of the powder measure. You can feel the measure cutting through the powder.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Master

I feel the measure cut large flake and long stick powders on the hornady and also RCBS uniflow measures occasionally. Are you using the pistol measure insert?

If not and you are using the standard ,wide insert that came with the measure, there is the problem. The standard measure doesn't work well with charges below 4 or 5 grains of large flake powders or bulky powders, at least for me. The powder needs more of a column to "settle" into the measure.

The wide shallow column may only be a kernel or so deep at the edge and has to "cut" the powder due to not enough vertical column space.

Boolit Master

I'm not stupid. I'm using the pistol insert.
    Semper Fi!

I think our LNL's are just a 'tee-widdly' too narrow across the metering hole for flake powders...I guess, my RCBS has always been the go to dispenser for Unique...+/- .2'ths (around the target load) and sometimes right on the spot...it'll go + .1 over target or - .1 under but seldom +/- .2'ths over or under target.
    I continue to use the Hornady measure on the LNL but trust it most with a fine grained powder...

Yes...pistol metering drum...duuuh!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I'm not stupid. I'm using the pistol insert.
    I didn't say you were stupid or mean any disrespect. You didn't specify what insert was in the measure. I was throwing that out there as a general problem I've seen with the factory installed insert.

When I purchased my LNL a number of years ago it came with only the large, non-micrometer insert. As the pistol insert was an additional purchase item, a lot of people ran what it came with even to small charges that were not appropriate for the design of the measure. I've not used IMR Target, but in the pistol measure insert, it surprises me that it is giving you problems. Unique and other flake powders run +/-0.2 or less accuracy with 40, 10mm, and 45 acp loads.

I think you read a bit more into my post than I intended as I may have read more into yours as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I didn't say you were stupid or mean any disrespect. You didn't specify what insert was in the measure. I was throwing that out there as a general problem I've seen with the factory installed insert.

When I purchased my LNL a number of years ago it came with only the large, non-micrometer insert. As the pistol insert was an additional purchase item, a lot of people ran what it came with even to small charges that were not appropriate for the design of the measure. I've not used IMR Target, but in the pistol measure insert, it surprises me that it is giving you problems. Unique and other flake powders run +/-0.2 or less accuracy with 40, 10mm, and 45 acp loads.

I think you read a bit more into my post than I intended as I may have read more into yours as well.
    I use measures with adjustable chambers from Redding and Pacific.

The Redding has the standard "rifle" chamber which worked fairly well for many pistol /shotgun powders. It sees a lot of use with larger charges and bulkier powders. It has poured a lot of pistol cartridges over the years.

The Pacific now has the "pistol" chamber. It works better for finer grained powders like Bullseye and Titegroup.

Boolit Master
    One of my competitor buddies I mentioned above pretty much just loads 9mm and .40S&W on his LnL using Autocomp for both which being a fine grain powder, it meters pretty well. He tried Vectan AO in it and it gave him a lot of trouble. Lots of bridging and squib loads and overcharging as a result. Vectan AO is a pretty large diamond shape flake which didn't agree at all with the Hornady measure. It's really good powder, just not for all measures. The auto drum handles it just fine.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy

I havent tried that powder yet, I have pretty much found that HP38 works in all my pistol stuff and it meters well.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Were did you find the new Target powder,my dealers hadn't gotten it yet. I really don't need another powder,but I'd like to try it anyways
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-03-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    For some powder / load combinations I've found that the Lyman 55 with its course and fine adjustments can be adjusted with a different ratio of course and fine to throw the same charge weight. It's also good to have a few good powder measures to try and see what works best. And best can vary with season, humidity, static and mood of the operator. If it was simple, everyone could do it.

Paul
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Buddy

I found IMR Red, Green, Blue and Target at the new Cabela's in Gainesville, VA