RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: how many shoot the 9.3X62,

how many shoot the 9.3X62,

also, what are your favorite molds, loads and powders? also any trophies gotten with this caliber you want to show off? I would love to see.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

so, no one shoots this caliber anymore? interesting.guess I will be one unique guy. I am going to start out with 45 and 48gr of h4895 for the 286gr and 250gr accurate boolits, and will work my way up to 52 and 55grs or even 55 and 58grs, if no signs of high pressure are encountered, unless I reach my desired velocity before then.

Neighbor, I had a CZ 550 American that was benchrest accurate with PPU factory ammo and my reloads with 4895 and the PPU 286 RN or the 270 grain Speer. I never bought a mould for it and traded up for a Sako because I had started my .358 rifle by then. I did kill a large doe with it at 125 yards with the Speer bullet. She stumbled ten yards and dropped. A very cool cartridge and I'm glad I got
    to experience this African classic. Velocity isn't that important on this baby.
    Best, Thomas.

If you want the "full experience" shoot some Hornady or Norma factory loads!

I shoot the 9,3x62 but have never shot cast in it. My rifle is a Husqvarna 640 with an FN commercial action, the Speer 270 grain shoots very well in it with a stiff charge of IMR 4350 and WLR primer. The only game I have taken with it is this old Whitetail buck.
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...tjlt/011-3.jpg
    http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...My93X622-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011-3.jpg   My93x621-1.jpg  

Sorry just saw this. There is a 4 page thread in the (Group buy Results) below. A lot of good info in it. The 9.3 is one of my favorite deer cast bullet guns and wouldn't feel under gun going after a moose.

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

As some here know, my "heavy game rifle" & that will make the trip to Africa this Fall is a Remington Model 760, topped with an old Redfield 2.5X scope, that JES remodeled to 9.3x62. - Money won't buy it, though I don't shoot it a great deal.
    (Given the small size of our very numerous TX whitetails, it's just too much gun. - The rifle that I reflexively reach for is my circa 1955 Model 760 in .300 Savage. - My "S-A War .30-40 Krag clone" 180 grain GCCB at about 2000FPS does fine on WT & hogs.)

My usual 9.3x62 GCCB load is a 286 grain in front of 50 grains of Varget OR 4895 for about 2200FPS. - If I do my part, I can think of no heavy game in the Western Hemisphere that won't fall to it.

Note: My old boarding school chum lives in Northern AK & he has "fed the family" for over 3 decades with his old/battle-scarred Husky. - Roy's GCCB load is very similar to mine & his rifle has taken many elk, caribou & large bears.
    (In one of his "letters home", Roy told me that he was tempted to submit a short article to THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN to be wittedly titled: Husqvarna, After the Blue Wears Off.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 06-24-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo

thank you very much, clint and texas native, I will NOT shoot commercial boolits, unless I went to Africa, then I'd use something like a barnes xbullet. for everything here, a 250gr or 286gr cast rnfp I think will do the job well. tex, how long is your barrel? the cz is a 20.5" and im not sure 50grs of 4895 would get the boolit to 2200. someday I need to get a chronograph! anyways it IS true that cast will go a bit faster than jacketed loads, and I think in the lee book they said 55gr would push a j bullet to 2300+ so I guess you are right. I will not go over 50 ('cept for with the 250 grainer!) until I get a chrono. what type/ brand chronograph do you have, and do you like it? thanks again for the help guys!!!- Travis

ps,- tex, tell your buddy to write that article! at least put it on this site and see how it goes! I would love to be a tree in his woods

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

The barrel on my Model 760 is 22 inches. - While I don't own a chronograph, a good friend does.
    (Frankly, I don't know beans about it but I see NO reason for Jake to lie, when he said an average of about 2200FPS.)

Addenda: I'll pass the word along to Roy. = As his weekly sermons are generally witty (Roy & his lady are "home missionaries", from our church to the NA tribes up there.), I suspect that his proposed article would be: Humorous.
    He has asked me several times since I retired to move up there & volunteer for the church, as "Living in Alaska is so exciting."
    I asked him WHAT was "so exciting" & he said, "Just staying ALIVE."
    (So far, I have been able to resist that particular temptation, if not many other ones.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 06-24-2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: add/clarity

lol, thanks, I have always wanted to go hunting for moose and bear up there! I would love to live there but I doubt I could deal with the cold, most of us scrawny folks can't,hehe plus we are acclimatized to 100+ summers and almost no winters, esp. the last 3 years!

Banned
    Oklahoma Rebel,

North Star, AK has NO Summer or even any Spring, as we Southern folks know those 2 seasons.

yours, tex

does anyone have the CZ550FS, that's what I have mye eye on, I will put a 2-6 scope on it or something close to that, it is mainly going to be a pig gun, and I saw a couple good sized ones and 2 huge ones yesterday!