WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .270 win

Boolit Buddy

.270 win

hi ,

been patching the 6.5x55 mm bullets for some time now and I wanted to start on another caliber , so I started
    searching for an older type of hunting rifle , used but in good condition , were I could easily mount a light scope on , preferably in .308 win.

this search led me to a great dealer in Belgium , wich is not that far from where I live , and this dealer is known to buy all of the older stocks that other dealers have on the shelfs for decades , through the years i bought many items
    from this shop , all aged but never used .

browsing through the .308 rifles i found not really what i wanted , one or two used ones , the rest new .

then he asked me if i wanted to consider another caliber , cause he had some rifles that been laying on the shelf
    for a whopping 28 years , brand new and unfired .

these turned out to be RUGER NR 1 rifles , and the price on the tag was also the price of 28 years ago...
    i really , really like these rifles but never saw one in real , only on online discussions about them , so my heart skipped
    a beat or two...
    he made me an offering of 20% off that pricetag , and i could pick whichever i wanted.

i could not pass on this deal and i picked the blued heavy barrel in .270 win.
    the other had skinny barrels and iron sights on them , but this one is without the sights.
    so , the original price was 1030 euro , 20 % of makes 824 euro . in current rate that's 918 dollar and 16 cents .

he also made me an offer on a real nice scope +rings +fitting and sighting in .
    the scope is an older type leopold -something- 3 with a golden ring in 1.5 x 5 , wich fills my need perfectly.

total price of the package is 1025 euro , in current rate this is 1142 dollars and 77 cents.
    for fun he also threw in a set of redding dies , the bushing type , with any bushing of my choice , cause these were
    laying for a long time also...

i think i got a great deal ..
    Last edited by edwin41; 06-22-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    so , after this long introduction comes some questions .

I really don't know this caliber but I guess it would fall between the 6.5x55 mm and the .308 win.
    I pulled up my lyman reloading handbook , but there is no reloading data with cast bullets.

looked for a lyman mould in the charts , but there is none .
    did a quick search on this forum and the suggested molds are the 287405 and the 280468 , by looking at the fotoos
    the 287405 would be the best one for paperpatching , lots of grooves in this design , but they are not listed anymore .

I think that I could use the lyman 140 gr loverin style lyman mould for this caliber , but then I would have to lap out the
    nose section , as it is a bore riding design .

also looked at the mihec site , but he has no mold in the .270 caliber.

what would be the standard castbullet size for this caliber ?

my thinking would be to cast the loverin 140 gr , paperpatch them and then size them to the standard castboolit size for .270 , in the soft alloy i use this would leave a .264 coresize .

what would roughly be the dimensions for lands and grooves in this caliber ?
    I cant measure this from the rifle , it has to come from Belgium and has to go through all the paperwork to get here , and this could take a while ... wich gives me time to gather info and materials .

i think i am going to like this caliber...
    Last edited by edwin41; 06-22-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Banned

Nominally .277.

I have been shooting some cast bullets through a .270 lately with mixed results. It so happens I have several 6.5 molds now and have been considering giving paper patching a try in it. I've never paper patched before.

The .270 is a good cartridge, popularized by the late Jack O'Connor who is one of the great gun writers of the 20th century.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks rich ,

paperpatching is way easier than fumbling with gaschecks , alloy hardness and special lubing .
    so , a nominal size would be 0.277 " , so sizing would be like 0,278 " wich is 7,06 mm .
    the bullets that drop from my 6.5 lyman mould , with my soft alloy, are at 0.264 " , wich is 6,70 mm.
    this leaves a total of 0,3 mm play between the bore and the groove , divided by two is 0,15 mm .

I don't know the nominal size of the bore yet , but I think the molds for the 6.5 are very usable for this .270 cal.
    if they are a little small for coresize , it won t be much , and the cavities could be lapped.
    they are also in the good weight and shape for the .270.

done this way one could skip the sizing of a 7 mm bullet , with all of the drawbacks that come with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I take back the lapping of the nose part to a bigger dimension mentioned in previous post.

for the 6.5x55 mm I start the patch just a hair above the first drivingband , wich leaves the nose completely exposed.

for the .270 I could shift the patch so that the nose part will also be patched... no lapping needed !

now I need to find out the nominal bore size for this caliber and compare this to the 0.264 projectiles from the mold...

Boolit Buddy
    so , its been a long wait for the rifle as it is imported from Belgium.
    I think it was worth the wait !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0901 (2).jpg   IMG_0902 (3).jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I think its a very nice rifle , and the leopold VX-3 scope in 1,5x5 looks great in this set up.
    been reading some post how it would be a hit or miss with these type of rifles regarding accuracy , I have only shot 40 factory rounds with this rifle
    and I guess this is a hit , it strikes me as an very accurate rifle .

the .270 win cartridges give this rifle a kick , even though it is a heavier rifle then expected , so the .270 win must be a potent caliber.
    I was told that these guns in this caliber where meant to be hunting rifles for bunnys up to 70 yards , but somehow I don't believe this.

Bunny's up to 70 yds?

The 270 with a 150gr bullet is more potent than the 308 Winchester past a certain distance. At the muzzle the 308 is faster but the bullet slows quicker than the 270.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master
    That's a fine rifle and a superb caliber. I doubt you will find anything it won't handle unless you go to Africa.

Boolit Master

That's a nice riffle. I hope it was worth the 4 month wait. My preliminary test with paper patching the .270 are promising. I use the Lee .277 bullet sized to .272 then patch to .280 (measurement's in inches). Do a chamber cast on it then size to bore diameter or .001 over bore and then patch up to the throat diameter. I tried patching to the ogive and didn't like the seating depth so I patch just slightly past the driving band. It paper patching gave m better accuracy than with gas checks on my standard load. I haven't et experimented with softer alloys and increasing the velocity. Too many projects and guns.

If you could develop a load that's accurate @ 1200 fps or lower then it would do just fine for bunnies. That's what they did with 30-06's. Might wanna go for head shots but should just leave a through-through hole with out exploding the tasty morsel of cute softness.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

edwin41,
    That is a VERY nice rifle!! I have one just like it but with a different Leupold scope. Mine is wearing a Leupold VXll in 3x9. I have taken quite a few elk and 1 moose with mine, using jacketed bullets though. I have never shot cast with the 270 yet. If I remember right, a member named Gearnasher did a write-up on his experiences with paper patching a 270 some time back, maybe you could find it. You will enjoy that rifle and scope combo. JW

Boolit Master
    edwin41

I was not sure you ever got an answer to your question in post #2 concerning land and groove diameters. I got lost when jumping from english to metric units but the groove dia. should be .277" while land (bore) diameter should be .269/.270" . The 6.5 mm boolits might prove accurate (and I hope they do) for paper patching, but normally the unpatched boolit should be bore diameter or a few thousandths larger.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!