RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Another 45/45/10 question.... it's hardening...

Boolit Buddy

Another 45/45/10 question.... it's hardening...

I mixed up my first bunch of 45/45/10 a year or so ago (I know, you can make it as you go..) and just got back to it... it's went back to being hard like the paste wax. Is that normal? Just heat it and use? Or should it remain liquid? Maybe the mineral spirits evaporated off?

So heat and use as is? Or heat and add more mineral spirits? Other? What say you?

Will be used for 45ACP and 380ACP.. keeping in the lower speed ranges. Thanks!
    Last edited by gareth96; 06-23-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Boolit Master

I do both. Heat it up with hot tap water, and if it doesn't thin out enough I'll add some mineral spirits.
    Mostly though, I have switched to BLL, at least BLL #2 - the one with Lundmark wax.
    Because I came late to the party, and haven't any of the Johnson's magic liquid....

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. Yeah I was looking at BLL, but saw that the Johnson liquid stuff was discontinued and didn't see where there was a substitute... didn't have time to look through 61 pages to find out how to get there.

I did heat the 45/45/10 I had and added a little mineral spirits, and it seemed to work ok.. loaded up 10 to shoot out back, but rain held me back all day.

Moderator Emeritus

the 45-45-10 that I've made, finishes out at the consistency of peanut butter, I use a heatgun (heat the boolits/bowl) to apply it.

The first batch i made, I stored in a plastic margarine tub that didn't seal well, as it aged, it got hard. The second batch I made, I chose to store in sealed pint mason jars...doesn't dry out now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001