RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 75 Compact just not working with cast

Boolit Buddy

CZ 75 Compact just not working with cast

I read the previous posts on this topic but still ran into similar problems. I've been using an RCBS 9mm-124-RN-TG seated from .990" - 1.250" and everything in between. The shorter loads hang up on the feed ramp. The ones in the middle don't reliably chamber, and the longer loads frequently shave a ring of lead on the leade. I slugged the bore at .355" and size to .356". The plunk test has proved worthless with this bullet. Successful plunks will still fail to chamber when feeding from the magazine after shooting a previous round.

Does anyone have a bullet that feeds and chambers reliably? If so, can you advise the COAL?

I'm working thru similar problems with a CZ-85 and MP molds. I've been seating to 1.010" and it helps, but solve the issue.
    I've got the NOE sizer for 0.356" and will be able to report back this weekend on progress. I may have to have my barrel throated, but I'm going to run my Lewis Lead Remover thru it first and try the 0.356" boolits first.

Magazine and/or recoil springs may benefit from a swap, would be cheaper than a new mold. I have a full size CZ 75 clone (EAA Witness) that went from running like a top to jam-o-matic in an unexpected way. After many thousands of rounds I figured the factory springs were getting a bit long in the tooth, so I installed new Wolff +10% magazine springs and a factory spec Wolff recoil spring. 100% flawless function with my old, worn springs, and constant failure to feed with the new springs and my favorite load of Blue Dot and the Lee 125 RNFP! Problem solved by either reinstalling old springs, or switching to Unique. The pressure curve/slide velocity was not appropriate with the new springs and BD. My long term solution was to shoot up all the ammo loaded up with BD, then switch to Unique and keep the new springs installed since they were paid for.

Moral of the story, try tweaking your powder choice if not a spring swap to see if that will help. And yes, most modern 9mm pistols would benefit from a good throating job. You may want to contact DougGuy if you choose to pursue that route, his work is well respected by many on this forum.

Vendor Sponsor

Throating the barrel will allow you to seat them out as long as the magazine will cycle them through, sized to .357" or .358" no shaving rings, just runs like a sewing machine afterwards. You may already have a perfectly good boolit, once the interference is removed and you can load it like you want to.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 356-120-TC feeds slicker than snot in my standard CZ 75 and every other 9mm I've used it in, quite a few. I size it .356 or .357 and load it over 4 gr Bullseye.

Larry Gibson

A few friends shoot the CZ. They tend to have very short throats. So try another bullet or get a throating reamer & lengthen the throat a bit.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I had a similar problem with my CZ75 SP01. Sent the barrel out to DougGuy for a throating and I haven't had a problem since

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. Just bought Larry's suggestion.

Boolit Grand Master

I would still throat the barrel regardless. Doing so will alleviate problems in general. While a TC design is going to work. I like my guns to feed every design. All of my CZ barrels are throated for good reason.

Banned
    I wanted a new CZ75 PCR last year after hearing all of the rave reviews. Before I ordered it I went to my local range and rented one.

I am no expert but that gun has some of the best ergonomics I have seen. It just fit me. And I could shoot it well from the beginning. Great trigger and great function, and this was a rental gun that gets beat to ****.

So I ordered one and the adventure began.

My new one wouldn't go an entire mag without a stovepipe or FTF. The throat was very short so I played with seating depth. I scoured the two main CZ forums and ordered new springs, etc. I considered a throat job.

I should have stopped there because in my opinion a $600 gun should not need to be re-engineered out of the box. But I am a stubborn Irishman.

Finally I threw in the towel and returned the gun to CZ for inspection. In a few days they contacted me and told me the gun would have to be replaced. I requested a refund instead and they agreed with no problems.

Even after this experience I am still going to buy another CZ. Their customer service is top notch. I just got a lemon. It happens. There are way too many happy CZ shooters out there with guns that run flawlessly. And in all of my handguns I still don't have a 9mm.

Steve in N CA

Doug throated my 75BD and it flat out shoots. Lee 125 rnfp .358 wdww and 5.0 of power pistol.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

try a harder alloy. Maybe water drop the alloy your using.

Banned
    Went to the range last week and shot along side a gentleman that had a new CZ75. He shot the 3) 9mm I had and and I shot everything he had. We used my ammo which was 124gr rn Magma bullets I cast myself. The Alloy was almost straight lead with a hardness of about 7. There were no failures to feed and every gun shot well. Load was in 90% range with W231. I set the OAL to come up with a length that would satisfy the plunk test.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    I fixed my cz. Traded it for a g35. No issues at all now. 😃

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I had the same problem with a CZ 75B though the bore was .356 +. I had to have the throat reamed and shoot a bullet sized to .358. I had about .006" of freebore and could not keep lead shavings from building up at the front of the chamber and soon a round would not chamber.

Boolit Master
    Look up the thread on the Elco boolit mold. It is specifically designed for short throats. Very accurate and easy to load. You could also go the Truncated Nose route. Both work in my 9mms.

Boolit Master
    If you are from the St Louis area you can pm me.

I size my rounds too 0.356" and did two coats of 30 minutes or more. Had very high hopes for this batch. Took my Lewis Lead remover and cleaned the throat. Gun shot the first twenty well then started having problems feeding.
    Rings of lead build up. I could actually see it building up. May have to throat it.

Using Lee MOLD DC TL356-124-TC, lyman #2, unique powder, and Alox out of CZ compact with no problem so far - feeds fine out of 2 different 14 shell magazines (came with pistol) - bullets measure .356 and accurate at 15 yds.(shoot about 4-5 inches low but good groups) - no sign of leading after 150 rounds

I shoot the Lee 356-120-tc in my cz75 compact with no issues. Just ran a test not too long ago with the same boolit tumble lubed, powder coated, and regular lubed and they all shot and grouped equally among similar loads. Not familiar with your RCBS boolit but you may want to give the Lee mould a try. I have both the 2 cav and 6 cav and can make a bunch of boolits quick.

Hounddog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast