RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scopes ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    How does the saying go? Americans will put a $100 scope on a $1,000 rifle and Europeans will put a $1,000 scope on a $300 rifle or something along those lines.
    The question is; which one is right? I buy the best tool at the best price for the job. I'm not averse to paying thousands for a tool. If I shot long range I'd have a need for one of the expensive scopes. Since I don't a Nikon ProStaff is all I need. I spend more time archery hunting anyway :laugh:

Perma-Banned
    Scopes are easy. Almost anything works for casual shooting. If you're spending money on a hunt, spend the big bucks. Zeiss, Nightforce, Swaro and the big buck lupies are the way to go. A 500 dollar rifle almost always works, top it with a 1000 dollar scope and you're way ahead of the guy who flips that around.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Trouble is I have a hand full of of really good rifles and an embarrassingly small amount of money in them . I have at least 6 that are known to shoot well beyond their dollar value . The idea of putting $500 worth of glass on a rifle that I have ,real dollars, less than $200 in that shoots full throttle cast into .750 just gives me the willies .
    I guess I'll grow up some day.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The question is; which one is right? I buy the best tool at the best price for the job. I'm not averse to paying thousands for a tool. If I shot long range I'd have a need for one of the expensive scopes. Since I don't a Nikon ProStaff is all I need. I spend more time archery hunting anyway :laugh:
    I'd say the foreigners have it right. I will sell rifles, but I hold onto good glass. Long range guns get top end scopes. Hunting rifles get midrange low power scopes. 22 bench guns get fixed power weavers. Older guns get period correct scopes which tend to cost a bunch because they are "antique and vintage".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    scopes are like many things in life. up to a certain level you get quite a bit for what you pay, and after that the minor improvements get quite a bit more expensive for what you pay. i own many moderate priced scopes, and a few very expensive scopes, and when the circumstances dictate it, yes the more expensive scopes perform better than the cheaper models.

I agree here! For the most part in optics you get what you pay for, there is a point that makes me wonder though

Boolit Buddy
    I have say it is interesting that many of us reload to save money while spending crazy amounts on scopes. Hard to explain to the spouse

Banned

I think a lot of that mindset came from the 60s and 70s when even some of the better mid priced scopes weren't much. What did they have back then Weavers, redfields and the original leupolds. None even came close to comparing optically or mechanicaly with ziess Kahles ect. What happened is the german scope makers sat on there laurels relying on there reputation and the American and jap scope makers stepped up to the plate and really improved there stuff. Back in say the 60s you payed 75 bucks for a k series weaver which in todays money is probably 400 bucks. Would you buy one of those old k series weavers for 400 bucks. Or pay 500 or 600 for a bushnell scope cheif? Not me. But today for that 600 bucks you can buy a darned fine scope with glass and mechanics that are probably better then that zeiss from the 60s or 70s. And stepping up to a 10 percent better scope cost you 3-400 percent more money. Just doesn't make economic sense to me. If the 500 dollar scopes today had poor glass or didn't track well or had poor low light capability id probably be saving my money for something much more expensive but it just isn't needed today by 98 percent of the guys buying scopes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'd say the foreigners have it right. I will sell rifles, but I hold onto good glass. Long range guns get top end scopes. Hunting rifles get midrange low power scopes. 22 bench guns get fixed power weavers. Older guns get period correct scopes which tend to cost a bunch because they are "antique and vintage".

Boolit Master
    Lloyd- You bring up very good points.

When I first got into long range shooting, I used a $66 dollar Tasco Varmint on my 308. That scope got me out to 700 yard hits reliably and consistently.

My most expensive scope($460 Weaver T36) sits on the only custom long range rifle I own. I just can't bring myself to spend more than the rifle cost me for a scope.
    The Weaver allows me to see everything I need to at the ranges I shoot.
    I always end up thinking about all the guns and reloading supplies I can get for the extra scope money.

Boolit Master

I have found in the world of quality products, you get what you pay for!
    I have many Leopold scopes that I bought when they were around $200, that now cost upwards to $1000 for the same type/model.

I have in the last several years bought 2 Burris scopes and found the quality as good as a Leopold and for less money.

For the quality of product per dollar ratio, these two scopes will give the best product to dollar ratio out there, but, this is just my opinion and dose not reflect your needs or wants out of a scope.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    My favorite scope is a 3x9x40 Burris on my 308 with the ballistic plex . but I'm a user of cheap scopes ,AGS Mount master etc .have trashed 2 tasco's and a gamo .but that's all that failed in the the past 20 years since I had problems seeing open sights in poor light.

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd, you've been around for long enough. I've got Gun Digests back 45 years. They talk about how cheaper scopes fog up, won't focus, won't track. That was then, this is now.

Now the difference is pretty hard to see. When the Red Chinese got into lens grinding in a big way, that took the optic market in a new direction.

Now a ground lens is a commodity. What it takes to make thousands of them is a known. So the price premium from decades ago shouldn't apply today.

But the know-nothing mouth breathers will still insist 'you get what you pay for' and all the rest of their drivel...it's a new age, and the old rules don't apply...

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty fond of the old Weavers but most of my rifles are of that vintage. The most modern rifle I own is a mid 90's Colt HBAR AR15 that hasn't been used in 15 or so years. I recently got an old (1968) Ruger #1 in .222, the scope mount was made for the longer scopes of the era. Found a really nice cheap Weaver K6 for it ($50). Have a K10 on my old Model of 1917 sporter, K4 on a Remington 722 in .222 and a V9 on 788 in 7mm-08.. They still work and cost a fraction of newer glass. Maybe someday I'll find myself some nice modern rifle and get a new scope for it.. Naaaa, probably not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 209_4596_edited-1.jpg  

Boolit Master

Scopes ?

As the price goes up, it's not just better glass that you are paying a premium for.

In the arena of hunting scopes you can get a dang nice and functional scope for not much more than a C note.

I tend to buy used scopes with transferable warranties. You can get last weeks hot item for a hefty discount from the guys who chase the flavor of the week, lol.

Last edited by Love Life; 06-26-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I'm pretty fond of the old Weavers but most of my rifles are of that vintage. The most modern rifle I own is a mid 90's Colt HBAR AR15 that hasn't been used in 15 or so years. I recently got an old (1968) Ruger #1 in .222, the scope mount was made for the longer scopes of the era. Found a really nice cheap Weaver K6 for it ($50). Have a K10 on my old Model of 1917 sporter, K4 on a Remington 722 in .222 and a V9 on 788 in 7mm-08.. They still work and cost a fraction of newer glass. Maybe someday I'll find myself some nice modern rifle and get a new scope for it.. Naaaa, probably not.
    Like a hand and glove, perfect. I have a mid 70's Ruger 77V with a K-12 Micro-Trac , exactly what it is supposed to be.

Dave

I've got an entirely different perspective on this. Until around a year ago I'd never even owned a scope, just didn't like shooting with them, I liked sights. Nothing against them, I'd shot rifles with them, I was more comfortable with sights.
    I came into a bit of a windfall and wanted a rifle and wanted in .308 and wanted a lot of bang for buck. In that political climate I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to get one and felt the need/want for a shtf rifle. I ended up with a DPMS Sportical in .308 for what I think was a good price.
    I'd done a lot of research and really wanted iron sights, but even though it's a flat top it's not same plane. So I could buy the UTG Leapers setup for under $100, with really mixed reviews, or spend a LOT for other brand sights or change the gas block ad nauseam. I picked up a $50 red dot thing. Sighting it in, the batteries went dead, NICE! Sold it to a buddy.
    Bought a Bushnell banner 1-4x, decent scope for right around $100 with rings. It worked until dusk, maybe it's me, maybe I'm getting old and blind, but the crosshairs were gone without some decent light. It's on my sons .243 now.
    Back to research I went. Ok, shtf rules, must be able to use if the batteries go dead! Etched reticule was a must. Must be able to use in low light, adjustable illumination is a nice bonus. Must be durable, I don't beat on my guns, but I don't want to drive 100 miles to go shooting just to have the glass fall out! (Read some of the Amazon reviews, it seems to happen a lot) So I read and watched videos, magnification wasn't huge to me, but having it or being able to add it later was a plus. I finally settled on the Vortex Spitfire 1x, mainly because of some of the torture I watch it put up with on YouTube! Guys beat the snot out of it!
    I finally caught it on sale at MidwayUSA on Black Friday, but the sons Christmas presents took priority over this. Just had about given up, but right after Christmas Cabela's had it on sale at $200!
    I love it. I still would like to add a magnifier, but can live without it.
    All I'd read or heard was ""Buy once, cry once!" "Spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle!" Buy Leupold! Buy Leupold! Buy Leupold! You'll be sorry if you buy anything but Leupold!"
    Sorry, I did good to get "she who must be obeyed" to let me get the rifle, I had to scrimp and save and use my Christmas money to buy the Vortex, she still has no idea what it cost!
    Then in my instance, I hadn't used enough scopes to have a clue what would really work for me. Had I spent $500-700 on the first purchase, I'm stuck with it, or selling at a loss. I made some mistakes with my purchases, but I learned from each one and it was at a cost I could absorb.

Boolit Master
    LOL, I don't own a scope that was made after the WWW came into existence.

Boolit Mold
    If I'm shooting at a range at 300 yards with a ruger precision 308 and vortex scope, do I need to sight it in each time I go to the range. Some guy got in my ear saying each time I go and shoot at 300 yards I should. Looking for info please at a lost.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    johnsmith that sounds quite odd! Check zero, sure, but RE-ZERO? If you have to re-zero a scope each time you go to the range, something's off - I've seen a tip-off mount get bumped so the scope was about 50 MOA off, mounts have screws that have worked loose, or scopes fail and so on cause the need to fix those then re-zero, but 99% of the time a good rifle/scope (or pistol/scope for that matter) will be right on when I send the first round down range - *IF* I am on my game. Not so much if the guy next to me fires a revolver that spits lead / powder in my face right as I'm firing, or if someone has an overly loud rifle and I wasn't aware they were doing that, sometimes. (An 18" barreled 338 Win Mag in the next space can be distracting.)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I use variables on the Varminters, usually fixed on the sporters. Some nice old Weaver K4s etc. from earlier, I've definitely had GOOD use out of those! On variables I do get OCD on turning the magnification back to 4x after each shooting session, as if you spot a Coyote close in and it's still at 9x, that can make it hard to find the 'Yote quickly! Good glass is very nice, I don't go for the fancy highest end stuff but GOOD stuff. Low light performance can be very critical for a Raccoon rifle (10-22 with a cheap scope on it you won't see much at night even with light!) or a long range varminter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast