Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: With a little help from my friends

With a little help from my friends

I had an epiphany a few weeks ago. The voice said “you NEED a 6.5 Creedmoor!” The Gun God has spoken. Far be it for me to dispute his sage words and infinite wisdom. So I started the process of researching and information gathering to insure that I would make an intelligent and unbiased purchase decision. I’m pleased to report that I’ve narrowed my search to 9 different rifles and 5 different scopes! Obviously, I could use some help.

Since, unbeknownst to me, the dishwasher God also spoke to my wife, my budget is a bit limited. Rifle, scope, rings and dies must be in the sub $1000 range. Primary use will be target with a little P-dog thrown in for good measure. I want a bolt with a heavy barrel no shorter than 22 inches. My budget puts me in the Remington, Savage or Howa range of rifles. I’ll worry about glass and accessories later. After all, how good of a dishwasher does one really need?

Yeah, don't need that good of a dishwasher!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QnCboICPrVQ

Boolit Master

It's amazing how fast the 6.5 Creedmore has supplanted the 260 Remington in the field and in competitive rifles. Must be something to that.

I've got a good friend who makes a lot of 6.5s on Remington 700 actions. I've shot some of his rifles and they are deadly accurate out to the 800 yards that I've shot them. If you want to find a cheap used 700 in 243 or 308 calibres, he can then make a real barn burner for you.

Here is his link:

https://hollandsgunsmithing.com/

Are you still with the "Red Empire?"
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I just rebarreled my Savage 112 in 22-250 to the 6.5 Creedmore and couldn't be more happy. I went with a McGowen barrel, did it myself, and have a real good tack driver in process. (The shooter needs the process more than the rifle.) It is an accurate round and if I do my part, will just stack the bullets into the same hole. I haven't tried cast yet and may in the future. Sure is a fun project.

My initial choice was the 260 Remington. Very similar ballistics to the 6.5 CM with the added advantage of being able to neck up 243 brass or neck down 7MM-08. Problem is the pathetic selection of rifles offered in this cartridge. The 6.5 CM, as Scharfschuetze pointed out, has gained a considerable following. Plenty of choices in just about every area including reloading supplies.

I want something larger than a .223 but smaller than a .264. My Rem 700 in .223 gives up the ghost around 350 yards as far as acceptable accuracy is concerned. It seems that every time I go P-dogging those little varmints like to hang out further than I can reach them with the .223 Remington. If there is another viable option that gives the same or better performance of the 6.5 CM I would certainly give it consideration. Thought excellent cartridges, I’ve rule out the 22-250, 243 Win and 6.5x284 for their barrel life histories.

Boolit Master
    Look at the 'new' 6mm's. 6mm x 47, 6mm Lapua, 6PPC, etc.

Silverboolit,
    If price were no option, I would custom build a 6PPC in a New York minute. Somewhere down the road I’ll get me one. However, for the time being I must live within my budget restraints. All calibers you mentioned are excellent but suffer from the same issue as the 260 Remington that being the lack of availability of factory rifles. The 6mm Creedmoor is a possible option with several manufacturers now building rifles but, except for Ruger, they are all a bit pricey.

Ruger American Predator

http://ruger.com/products/americanRi...or/models.html

Magpul Stock (when they come out)

https://www.magpul.com/products/hunt...n-short-action

@ $700.00 for both

Boolit Master
    Oh man. That's happening for me! Love it.
    Here's my predator.
    22" barrel
    1:8 twist.
    Taking her out to the range for the first time this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve finally narrowed my search down to four choices. All (one barely) meet the budget requirements. All of them are chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Howa HCR – Chassis style bolt action. 24” HB with 10 round detachable mag. HACT two stage trigger.

Howa 1500 Highlander (Krypek) - 24” HB with 5 round blind mag. HACT two stage trigger. Could convert to 10 round detachable for under $100 if needed. Not crazy about the stock finish but can be had for a bargain price.

Savage 10 Predator Hunter- 24” Fluted medium contour barrel with detachable mag. Accutrigger and accustock.
    Bergara B-14 HMR. 22” heavy barrel. Detachable mag. Stock is adjustable for length of pull and comb. Sako style extractor. Uses Rem 700 accessories for scope mounting.

I own a few Savage so I have an idea of what I’m getting from them. Never owned a Howa but have heard mostly good things. Bergara is the dark horse. Shot one of their upper end rifles a few years back and was very impressed.
    Any input based on experience would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    Oh man. That's happening for me! Love it.
    Here's my predator.
    22" barrel
    1:8 twist.
    Taking her out to the range for the first time this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very interested to hear how it shoots for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    I’ve finally narrowed my search down to four choices. All (one barely) meet the budget requirements. All of them are chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Howa HCR – Chassis style bolt action. 24” HB with 10 round detachable mag. HACT two stage trigger.

Howa 1500 Highlander (Krypek) - 24” HB with 5 round blind mag. HACT two stage trigger. Could convert to 10 round detachable for under $100 if needed. Not crazy about the stock finish but can be had for a bargain price.

Savage 10 Predator Hunter- 24” Fluted medium contour barrel with detachable mag. Accutrigger and accustock.
    Bergara B-14 HMR. 22” heavy barrel. Detachable mag. Stock is adjustable for length of pull and comb. Sako style extractor. Uses Rem 700 accessories for scope mounting.

I own a few Savage so I have an idea of what I’m getting from them. Never owned a Howa but have heard mostly good things. Bergara is the dark horse. Shot one of their upper end rifles a few years back and was very impressed.
    Any input based on experience would be appreciated.
    I have almost nothing to add except to say that while I've never owned a Savage, I should have by now.

Are you able to handle all four before making a decision? Could be just the feel that ends up being the deciding factor for you.

308Jeff,
    I've had the opportunity to fondle all of these with the exception of the Bergara. The irony is that, at the moment, I'm leaning towards the Bergara. This brand is a bit hard to find in my neck of the woods and I'd have to order it on-line. The little bit of experience I have with the brand has been favorable. Anyone having experience with Bergara that would like to weigh in would be appreciated.