Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP cartridge/case issue ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    If the dented cases don,t cause a problem with reloading or shooting, I wouldn't give it any worry.
    This^^^. If there's no problem, other than a slight defect in the relatively thick wall of a low pressure case I don't see any reason worry about it.

I've reloaded cases that look considerably worse just to see what happens. I was almost disappointed when I was able to load the rounds a dozen plus time with no ill effects - it was rather boring test.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    As far as you fellers with the Rock Island firearms..

Nice ya have what ya got, & got rid of what ya didn't like...

Any of you have any thing constructive to add to the subject of the OP?

If not..

Start your own topic please.. This one is "Occupied".
    It seems blatently obvious that reporting if a gun is printing or not IS contributing to this thread.

As for the old cannelured 38/357, I have and still use plenty of it.

I have nickled brass that has worn to straight brass its so old.

As long as the wall is not scratched or gouged, but merely print/dented, I've never had an issue in decades of shooting reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    It seems blatently obvious that reporting if a gun is printing or not IS contributing to this thread.

As for the old cannelured 38/357, I have and still use plenty of it.

I have nickled brass that has worn to straight brass its so old.

As long as the wall is not scratched or gouged, but merely print/dented, I've never had an issue in decades of shooting reloads.
    When I said "dinged/dented" I mean it let a deep enough "Scratch" with the ding/dent that it definitely can be felt after sizing. With just a fingernail. It is less apparent visually, but certainly has had an effect of the integrity of the case.

Thus the OP in the first place.

Your remark to the feller with the RIA 45 , that is similar to yours & his had a similar issue, and yours did not 2x, with nothing to add but just your description of how well YOUR RIA 45 works. Did not add one thing to help out with the issue of this subject/topic.

His post was relevant & it concerned him enough that he actually sent it to the Manf. to have it worked on. 2x, IIRC. Then he got rid of the pistol...

Your reply that you don't have any issue with yours, did not help anyone except maybe to make ya feel better...( And I am figuring many do not have the issue that own RIA or any other 1911 45.). I am betting that there are a lot of folks who do not have this issue with their Taurus PT1911 45 either. Thus , since they cannot help, they seemed to have shown the self discipline to not come here & tell us that theirs does not have such an issue...

Just like him... "I" feel the same way he did about his concerns with HIS pistol & those cases he mentioned , so I posted the topic to ask here.

Here is HIS quote & I Bolded/underline his most relevant comment in his reply to yours:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I believe it was about a year or so ago if that long. I'll admit that it didn't rattle like my Colt GM and was the most accurate .45 that I have ever shot or owned. The gouge in the brass concerned me.If I didn't handload I probably wouldn't have cared. I just couldn't trust the pistol to go bang every time. And I didn't like the ambidextrous safety. My Glock 19 goes bang every time. Can't be comfortable with something you can't trust.
    The concerns I have are that this issue "could" compromise not only the ability to safely reload these rounds, but the concern that I have a pistol that is marring these rounds so I can cannot reload the cases used in it safely. Like TOM W., If I cannot reload the rounds used, I will get rid of the pistol like he did.

I am one of those folks who prefers that folks actually discuss the subject of the topic presented. IF they want to discuss how good of a deal they got, or how great their firearm is, they can go start a topic about THAT subject. I asked for assistance & relevant posts to help. Simple as that.

Seems pretty simple to me, anyway.

I remember a couple of weeks back when YOU got upset about another member giving ya the same treatment you are giving me now about this & how you threatened to not share your ballistic test. Perhaps you might remember that I was one of them who was urging ya to please share, regardless of the one who seemed to cause you issue...

Maybe some reflection on that episode & this one is a good idea.

Thanks for Your help & have a great weekend.

Boolit Master
    I do appreciate the help I have rec'd form most of you folks. It is an asset to be able to come here & ask for help & see the quick responses to another member in need.

Please do not judge me too harshly for some of my replies.

This issue concerns me & I spent some hard earned $$ to buy a pistol that I could have had NO troubles with & unfortunately did not.

I am one who will give the shirt off my back to try to help those in need & I reckon that when folks seem to think I am just crying about nothing & "pooh pooh" the issue I brought up irks me a bit.

I thought long & hard about this issue before I posted here about it & researched trying to find a solution.

So, between all of these things I may seem a bit "touchy", but I really am having an issue that will make me decide to keep or not keep this firearm.. I consider that troublesome since I buy weapons to last & pass on to my sons & grandboys, not pass them a hassle...

Please consider that & if it was one of YOUR weapons & YOUR brass that was doing this what would ya do, before ya get to thinking it is just a "Nothing to worry about" deal.

Thanks again folks.
    Have a great weekend!

Boolit Master

I stopped reading your condescending opinioned post about half way.

Anyone exercising high school level reading comprehension skills should be able to pick out that if you are comparing multiple items of the same model, one exhibiting a symptom, others not, then that speaks toward a design issue vs an isolated mechanical problem. Obviously the more data points, the better the analysis and drawn conclusions will be.

Lastly, unless your the hall monitor concerning post opinions... I'm not sure why you are berating my posts as useless and non contributing, when your complaint posts certainly fit that category you are denouncing...

I'm not sure how tho in any way relates yo the ballistic gel post.

I wasn't hounding people in that thread to by ultra orthodox topics and not mention anything other than 100% topical info.

So no.. Reflection doesn't help, its not a comparable situation.

However, multiple posts in this thread about who should or shouldn't be posting, I agree, are useless and wasting bandwidth.

You can keep telling who should or shouldn't post, and decide what posts have merit or not. However ill abstain from being part of that in respect for the thread.

Thanks, have a great day.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 06-23-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Off topic, but the OP should be happy with the minimal brass damage! Try shooting an AR-10 or PTR in .308 and then reload it! That's some ugly brass!
    As I recall, even my tuned Delta Elite still folds an edge on the lip with nickle cases, not brass, it just doesn't like nickle! But they clean up and reload just fine.

Boolit Master
    You can keep telling who should or shouldn't post, and decide what posts have merit or not. However ill abstain from being part of that in respect for the thread.
    What he said ^^^

I had a thought as to the cause but I will just keep it to myself....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    What he said ^^^

I had a thought as to the cause but I will just keep it to myself....
    Once n a while, I run into folks like this. "I think I know the answer, but I am not gonna tell ya because of..... "

You can imagine what I think of responses like that. Thanks for your help, anyway...

-------------------------------

Why is it so hard for folks to just stick with posting to a topic about the subject of the topic?
    How can it help anyone if you post that you don't have any issues with "your" whatever, when someone else is having an issue with theirs?

Just recently I read a topic about someone using 45/45/10 lube & they are wondering if it gets hard after not being used for a time & can they just heat it up & use it or mix some mineral spirits into it & try that...

Now, someone who uses 45/45/10 could come in and answer to help them out from experience, or some others can come in & say they use Bens lube, or White Label lube or what ever. Or , even tell them they should ditch the 45/45/10 & go to PC, or use a lubrisizer.

Which answers are the most helpful to the question of what to do with his issue with the 45/45/10?

To me, it is the ones who stick to the subject of the topic & answer the guys question, not the ones who say how good the stuff they use is for them.

The reason why I think that way is because I do a lot of reading here, & sometimes I have to wade thru a bunch of posts that do not have anything to do with the subject of the topic because folks decide to swing off into tangents (side track/"high jack") on things not well related to the OP & it makes it hard to follow the topic.

So, when I see it might start to happen in a topic I posted, I say something to try to keep the info pertinent to the subject rather than getting off into one of those tangents, to help out anyone else who might have the issue & is trying to get answers themselves.... & now I am getting BS for it with post like this last one.

With the help from Most of the folks who posted here, I think I have got it narrowed down & will be finding out this afternoon what the issue is caused by.

Then I have to make the decision to post it here to help out the possible person who may run across the same issue & they are looking to find an answer here for themselves...

Or.....

I can just shut the hell up & not say anymore here in this topic about what I find out, & that will help no one, but me, and it will leave room for someone else to come in here & beech about my trying to keep the topic clear of extraneous crapola that isn't relevant.

I don't give a hoot about those who don't like the fact I am pointing out their rudeness. What I do care about is thanking those who helped ID & solve the issue. And this possibly helps out someone else who runs into the issue.

With that, other than the possible return here with what I found out, I have no need to post anything more in this topic. Flame on if ya will, but it will serve no useful purpose I can think of, other than to show what sort of person ya are about such things.

Thanks to those who helped me out very much! To the others.. Thanks to you too, not so much though.

Have a great weekend!

Boolit Master

1911forum.com

you can cruise that sight and probably get find opinions from true 1911 masters.
    Thats what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Boolit Master
    GONRA's not sure if this is "on topic" or "appropriate" but here goes:

Decades ago ran into a 9mm Luger shooter who was worried about dented case mouths and had devised an elaborate test to check it all out at the Pistol Range.
    Pointed out to him that the fired case, grabbed by the top mounted extractor, kicked off by the ejector, ROTATES off the extractor.
    Case MOUTH wacks the top toggle and fired case BOUNCES OFF to whereever.

Moral here: Always consider / remember the (possible) ROTATIONAL (not just TRANSLATIONAL) component of the ejection process....
    May or may NOT apply to yer particular firearm. Just keep it in mind.

I think you and your pistol need a Valium.

"Pour me, pour me, pour me another shot of whiskey."

Boolit Master
    Those who steered me towards the extractor being the issue seem to have me on the right track. I went out today between rains & shot some rounds. I checked over the pistol after about 10 rounds & found where the case mouth was hitting the port because there was a bit of brass residue, but there was no other apparent brass residue elsewhere. I gathered up some of the cases & they were re- marked as before. While I was there I took some video while I was firing some of the rounds & then looked at the video slowed down as slow as I could get it. The case mouth is hitting the side of the port, then the extractor as it seems to be still pulling, is flipping up the case from the first hit on the slide, & hitting the top of the port at the rear of the port where there is a sharp edge, creating the ding/dent. The case is basically going to the right & then deflecting/rotating up after it contacts the slide & hitting that sharp edge before getting thrown from the pistol.

In this first pic I am holding the tip of a toothpick where the case mouth is hitting the slide on the edge of the port:

The second pic shows where the side of the case is hitting on the sharp edge at the top rear of the port apparently causing the mark on the side of the case:

I am going to try to reduce some of the tension on the extractor first to see if that can solve the issue. If that does not help, then I am going to rethink what to do next.

I appreciate the ones who have been helpful & am only posting here to share what I have found to help any others who might have a similar issue. I will post again if the extractor adjustment works. If it does not, without any further suggestions to help with this issue, I will not be replying to anyones posts. Even the ones like the last two, which I thought were funny.

Your second pic shows the point of the port I was talking about in my first post. Dremel time!
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    You can try to "raise" the point of your ejector up a little. If you look at it now, the point is rather low I'll bet. This make the cases eject high. Raising the point will lower ejection.

I am going to try a few things when my "gun money is replenished": A heavier recoil spring, a lighter/heavier hammer spring, and a square firing pin stop.

My RIA is doing the same thing. I filed my ejector to a higher point and tuned my extractor and still get dents. They were diagonal where yours are, now they are square to the length of brass and much lighter. I am hesitant to file the ejector any more.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are risks to monkeying with the extractor. That is, after you play with the tension, it starts to fail to extract or drops the case before the ejector gets a good crack at it.

In other words, at some point you may need to have another extractor in the bullpen if you modify the existing one too much, especially to include filing. Some mods don't turn out like you plan and have a negative effect. FWIW.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    There are risks to monkeying with the extractor. That is, after you play with the tension, it starts to fail to extract or drops the case before the ejector gets a good crack at it.

In other words, at some point you may need to have another extractor in the bullpen if you modify the existing one too much, especially to include filing. Some mods don't turn out like you plan and have a negative effect. FWIW.
    If you're referring to my post; I said ejector. If not, never mind.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I toyed with the idea of doing a little file/dremel work on that edge also, and was thinking that maybe just tweaking the extractor a bit to loosen in up might be the better idea. But, as was pointed out, that tweaking can maybe cause another issue.

So, I am now leaning towards either rounding over or adding a bevel to that sharp spot more so than messing with the extractor right now.

I think I will buy another extractor anyway, try it & if necessary tweak the one I buy first, if a swap doesn't help.

I am trying to weigh the options as they are suggested to me. I like this pistol & rather than sell it & go get another. I would rather keep it & try to fix the issue. My sons/grandsons are going to end up with it sooner than later the way my health is going anyhow.

If I can get it to where it is spitting ammo that isn't gouged, I would be very happy. Dings/dents are one thing, the gouge, even though it is fairly small, "to me" is unacceptable. I think I will talk it over with my adult sons & see what they think, before I do much more than tweaking/replacing the extractor. Aesthetics are not my concern, I am pretty ugly too, but safe operation & it functioning properly for me to reload using the same brass is a concern for me.

Thanks again for your suggestions & I will continue to read any new ones that might help with this issue.

My practice on buying pistols used or new; If the handgun doesn't please you trade it off for one that will. No sense putting up with the angst trying to run the problems down and look for a fix. None of that will convert a bad experience into a good experience.

Trade that Taurus in on a Colt or a Ruger and pay the difference. Life will be simpler, better and happier. The extra money you pay will be well spent. Happiness can be bought, at least when it comes to 1911 pistols.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hp, not referring to you. The OP said extractor. I said extractor.

If the extractor is doing its thing, which is extracting the case as its primary function, my inclination is to let it continue doing it unmodified if it is doing it well. Where the case goes afterward has to do with two other areas of the gun besides the extractor. So the ding in the case is not the extractor's sole fault, or even the primary source of the problem.

Food for thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast