WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: question about smokeless powder

Perm-Banned

question about smokeless powder

i really like reloader 7 for my pp 45/70 loads.cant find it anymore. is there any other smokeless powder that is available that is bulky and low pressure like reloader 7 i can use in my 45/70 loads? i do not want to leave a space between powder and the base of the bullet. i have used blackhorn 209 but it is too costly for a lot of 45/70 shooting. thanks before hand.

Boolit Buddy
    hi , I am using the AA5744 powder for reduced paperpatched loads in the 6,5x55 mm.
    this powder is made for reduced loads in 45/70 , and even the reloading advise for this caliber is printed on the label.
    you might consider this powder... its not position sensitive so best used without filler.

Perm-Banned
    thanks

You had also better not use a case full of 5744. If you want a full case with no pressure problems try IMR3031. BTW, a case full of RE7 is dang near a 458 win mag load! Only for Ruger #1 or other really strong rifles. A full case of 3031 is safe in Marlin leverguns, and is more in line with normal full power 45-70 loads.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    There's no problem having space between the base of the bullet and the powder. As stated above, Rel7 is leaving space unless you're shooting crazy high pressure loads. Almost all of my loads with smokeless have space and almost all shoot very, very well. Rel7 isn't that hard to get anywhere around here, so it must be a local issue where you are. I use 5744 quite a bit and it works great, 2400 works great, and 4198 is really good. I can get around 1moa with a lot of different powders in 45-70. It's the least fussy caliber I've ever loaded for.

While I use and like RE7 in my marlin 45-70 other good propellants are IMR-4198 and IMR-4895, I suppose IMR-3031 would do well but like W-748 it all gets burned up in my 30-30

Boolit Master
    IMR 4198 is about the closes powder to Re-#7 you'll find marketed. As far as a Military Surplus Powder/ WC872 has quite-a-few promising loadings for both jacketed and cast_ but,~?~may require a additional small charge pistol powder to improve the 872s ignition. >And that you best ask Nobade about before trying.<

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...3-45-70-45-2-1

Boolit Buddy
    not sure what bullet you are using but my current fav is the noe425 cup point pure lead patched with 9# 25% cotton full size and sized patch on to .457
    noe has lots of data for the bullet I used r7 this year but ar-comp was going to be my backup
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 11.01.15 PM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	208571