Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Peabody .50 something

Peabody .50 something

I just bought a Peabody carbine from a coworker. The stocks have the remnants of an old brown paint job and the meta is rusty but doesn't seem pitted. It won't hold full cock and the uncleaned bore looks....well, 150years old. Anybody have an idea what .50 caliber round it might be? Maybe 50-70 (I hope) or 56-50 Spencer? Any help is appreciated. I'll be carefully tearing it down soon to see what's what.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Pics would help, but I have a Peabody carbine in 56-50 rimfire which I'm guessing is what you have. Dixie Gun Works has parts and they are originals. Time to carefully remove the lock so as not to damage the inletting in the wood. Then try to carefully cock the lock (wear heavy gloves as if you slip gotcha) and see what isn't latching up. Could be main spring is broken, or any of the lock parts are broken. From what I remember it's a back action lock. As far as the barrel is concerned I used a 20 guage bore brush with Hoppe's to scrub my barrel which for being that old has a nice bore. Hope this helps and maybe John Boy or John in Glencove will chime in with better info. Frank
    Last edited by samari46; 06-21-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Thank you for the info.I will proceed carefully. "Do no harm" as Hippocrates said sometme before this thing was made......
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    IF it will hold half-cock, I'd set the hammer there before you try to tap the lock out of the stock. Sometimes the tail of the mainspring and stirrup can interfere with the lock mortise with the hammer all the way down, especially if the tumbler stop is damaged.

Assuming it's a factory carbine, (not a "carbinized" cut-down rifle), .50 RF is the only caliber offered by the factory, and the .56-50 is close enough for casual shooting (though you'll have to to a CF conversion on the breechblock to shoot it.) Too bad the bore is rough. These shoot extremely accurately if loaded properly. Bob Hoyt, Freischutz Gun Shop, Fairfield PA can re-line it for you and it will shoot like new. I believe he can do the block conversion if needed as well.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Thank you so much. It will hold half cock and you can feel it "try" to catch full cock. The mainspring is suprisingly strong. Projects for other folks have to be finished first- Then I'll get to this.

Boolit Master

Is it center fire or rim fire??

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

The lock came out easily. It does hold full cock out of the stock so something's going on elsewhere. It is rimfire, the upper receiver screw is bent, buggered slot & frozen in place. Underneath the forearm the barrel is nickel plated, as is the trigger plate. I'm cleaning the bore with Hoppe's BP solvent and a 20 gauge brush- it feels like an old rusty pipe inside so far. It has matching #s on the barrel and receiver; 103903. I'm carefully cleaning the stocks with oven cleaner, a plastic scrub brush and water. It has a frozen 3 leaf sight and a German silver front sight. The barrel is exactly 20" and does not appear to be a cut job. It has a saddle bar with a non original ring. Once I get it presentable I'll decide where to go next.
    Best, Thomas.

Skeetx thanks for the links!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk