Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead bubbling???

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Good practice material. A good fit of a barbecue spatula to the pot bottom works well for me.
    I'm going to face them lead side down and see if that helps.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master
    While melting scrap, WW, pipe, cable sheathing, etc, really any kind of lead, a lot of crud accumulates in the bottom of the cast iron dutch oven. Flux and scrape. Flux and scrape. I ladle out the clean lead and pour into various molds. When the pot gets low, I grip the edge of the dutch oven with vise grips, snugged down. Tip the pot to one side, continue to ladle. The last pours are using the vise grips to overturn the pot carefully. I can get the very last drops of lead out this way, leaving behind all the crud. Gently tapping the upside-down, very hot pot gets out all the dirt/burnt residue/metal bits, whatever. Gently. Then the next pile of raw lead goes into a clean pot. Scrape, clean, and dump as you go. Leave it cook for long enough, and everything burns to dust or flaky crust. The smelliest-for-the-longest melts I had were with SOWW and sheet lead with some kind of hard, black, plasticky stuck to it. Chipped it off as best I could first.

I had a slotted spoon that I ground the tip flatter so I could get the bottom better and get the corner of spoon into corner of pot where bottom and side meet. Use paint stir sticks some also. They tend to burn up pretty fast, especially with higher temps when melting plain lead.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The bubbling was from all the white powdered oxidization that came from lead flooring. It was stuck to the bottom of my pan. I broke up a wooden yard stick and scraped the bottom several times untill I loosened up.

one thing that I do before I put in ww in a pot that already has lead in it melted is to put all my ww on a sheet of roofing tin and take a torch that you put down torch down roofs on with and run the flames over the ww that way all the moisture evaporates but if you so not have a torch just leave them out in the sun for a day before you smelt them on a personal note I never add ww or any other kind of lead to a pot that has melted lead in it that is how I met the tinsel fairy one day boys let me tell you she is a b---- and you do not want to meet her D Crockett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12