WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
PBcastco Repackbox

Thread: Remington 700 in 458 SOCOM

Remington 700 in 458 SOCOM

I had posted a while back a question on whether or not anyone had successfully converted a 700 conversion to 458 SOCOM. I have seen a couple on arms list and one video on youtube but no other information was really offered. I wanted one for a 200 yard or less deer gun that i can put a suppressor on for heavy weight subsonic rounds (NOE 500SP) I already have tons of brass and just like the rounds performance, especially on deer. Every deer, except one, had dropped in it's tracks when hit with this round in the vitals.

So I picked up a cheap 700 in 308 from Dicks for $400 (Thanks MarkP) Pulled the scope mount off, stock, and the barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2649.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	197992

Took the rifle into my local smith and started discussing the project. Getting the barrel fitted and head spaced was not an issue. The problem i ran into was the internal mag for the 308 and feed lips on the receiver did not lend it self to feeding the shorter 458 OAL. The front of the round, as soon as the back cleared the lips, would pop up and jam. Tried several dummy rounds with different boolits (325 FTX, 300 HP, 405 RN, 500 DGS, NOE 500SP). Had the thought that a 223 mag system might push the round forward enough to help with feeding. Took the same rounds and tried with a .223 700 and as soon as the bolt would contact the back of the round it would pop up flat and uncontrolled. had the thought that the round was designed to feed from a AR mag and that loading it into an internal mag would be a pain anyways went with a PTG AR mag bottom metal. So now after several months of waiting on get a call from my gunsmith that the stock fitted and ready to go. Now the PTG bottom metal does not take Pmags as they are a bit thicker than USGI mags. On their website they show a metal C products mag. I tried several different USGI mags and bravo mags, and hex mags do not fit. (I forget what other ones i tried) I did have a c products mag that works fine, but to my surprise Lancer mags work. Tried feeding the dummy rounds and there is a slight hiccup on the last round feeding. Sometimes with that 5.56 follower the round pushed off to one side and is not presented upwards full to the feed lips. I think if i modify the follower that might center it better and take that issue away.

I have not had a chance to shoot it between summer fun and moving everything in the house for the new kid in August but i'm itching to get it out and see what it does.

Remington 700 - 308 action
    Houge overmold stock i had lying around
    KAK 16.5 inch barrel 1:14 twist 5/8X24
    EGW heady duty base
    Borrowed my Vortex scope for testing, not sure what i'm going to top it with. red dot likely.
    Silencerco Hybrid with muzzle brake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	197995

Boolit Man
    Very nicely done, I am doing a pair myself in the same caliber on Spanish Mauser Receivers with the same purpose in mind!! I found the polymer mags to be a pain in all my feed testing and I have accepted using aluminum GI mags and they seem to work the best for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0bDdeNQFG4

I am using an 80% ar receiver to hold act as my bottom metal, since nothing in the way of anything cool seems to available for Mausers anymore.......

To keep costs down I am using ruger no 1 barrels, and swedish mauser stocks from sarco.

Boolit Man
    Just out of curiosity, which brand of chamber reamer did you use? There seems to be some silliness floating around on that topic.......

Gunsmith did the reaming. Not sure which one he used.... what's the silliness about it?

The Mauser action with the CRF looks to grab that cartridge a lot better than the 700.

Boolit Man
    Apparently the round is considered a proprietary cambering, and the reamer redily available form PTG Reamers is actually reverse engineered from a cut chamber...........

According to a bunch of folks on the 458 socom forum, I was supposed to beg for permission from the round developer to be able to get a "true" reamer from Manson Precision or JGS Precision.

Seems this information was out of date, cause as soon as I gave Manson my money I got my reamer...... just wondering what others experienced.

I am completely pleased with the feeding from my setup, its positive and reliable!

I have a 700 purchased for converting to 458 socom. Already built the suppressor and use it on the AR, never got rolling on the project though.

Hope you get it done and the info I put up helps!!