RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: My bees are working

My bees are working

today I pulled some honey from three of my hives. I processed 59 pounds of honey. Two more hives will be coming in about a week or so. I need to go buy more jars.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice! That's a bunch of work but is so rewarding

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shaper View Post
    today I pulled some honey from three of my hives. I processed 59 pounds of honey. Two more hives will be coming in about a week or so. I need to go buy more jars.
    Where are you located? Is the flow still on going where you are located?
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

If you need to offload some of it I've gotten pretty good at making mead.

Boolit Grand Master

Two years ago I had to put away the hummingbird feeders because of the yellow jackets. Now it's honey bees.
    The little birds can't get to the sugar water, but it's making honey for someone.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I am located in the north west corner of Georgia. The flow is still active.

Boolit Master
    We are having a good year in central OK as well. I don't pull honey until Sept. so I won't know for a while how good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I have to find honey when the mulberries come in, making a 5 gallon batch of Morat (mulberry mead). Stuff was really tasty this winter after aging a bit. Have 4 bottles left for a party this summer then out of it until I make more. Going to try kegging it this time and carbonating it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've known a few "bee keepers" over the years and have always admired them and their bee hobby. My wife and I have a "bee tree" (hollow oak) go down by our house several years ago and I got in touch with one of them. He came over and spent the better part of a week collecting the colony - he was thrilled as it was a "ferel" (sp?) bee colony. He collected the comb which was about 15 feet or so in length up the hollow tree - amazing to watch him work. I offered to let him set his boxes out on the farm but he said he couldn't due to the pesticides in use, etc. Saw him a year ago and he told me that he lost the colony due to the extreme cold during the winter - they just didn't make it. Another fellow told me he also lost his bees due to the cold.

People don't realize the importance of bees in the grand scheme of nature . . . . I view them as another one of God's wonders and all of you bee keepers are to be admired and congratulated on the work you do that helps in providing their important work . . . plus you get the rewards of the honey! Many kids today don't learn about such things and most couldn't tell you where honey comes from or how it is made. Kind of reminds me of when my wife asked one of her third graders many many years ago where eggs come from . . . expecting to hear the answer of "chickens" . . . instead the answer was "the grocery store".

I don't know about others but I'd love to see some photos of you collecting the honey and the combs, etc. Interesting and I'm glad so many of you are having a good year with it!

Boolit Master
    Many years ago(about40)a friend ran about 10,000 hives.Had some really excellent honey of all types.Helped him with harvesting and repairing the hives.Always had great honey to consume.Mom and Dad loved the goodies too.Generally got the honey in 1/2 gallon jars complete with the comb.Yum,yum.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    A few from last year's harvest.

thank you for showing your pictures, I haven't mastered the task of getting my pictures out of my phone and on the forum.

This is my second year as a bee keeper, and will be my first year to harvest any honey. My bees seem to be doing well, and I hope to get enough honey for all of my family and friends. I have 5 hives. I will post some pictures when the time comes.

Bo
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

We finished extracting and have sold all for the year. Harvest was about 60%of last Year. We run about 100 hives and thats to many for a 74 year old man. I couldnt do it without the help of the #1 Woman in My life, the Wife. This year the harvest was 5000 pounds.

Our extracting line has 2 33 frame Kelley extractors and the uncapper is a Cook and Beal.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Master

Great now I'm hungry for honey.

Boolit Master
    I infused some with cinnamon in a test run and oh my goodness it is off the hook delicious!! So this year I am going to make up a gallon or so but it will sell at a premium!

Boolit Master
    I am intrigued with tending to bee's , possibly one of these days I will take up a new hobby . Love the pictures !