RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: New Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, range report

New Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, range report

I picked up my new Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm blued Saturday morning. I wasn't able to get to the range until today due to family activities. I gave it a good workout today.
    Sunday I field stripped it and oiled it where needed. The action was very tight and had very little oil from the factory. After oiling it, the action was much smoother.
    It had a spot just short of where you would push the slide latch out that if the slide is eased down to it, would hold the slide from closing. Maybe just a tight spot. I am not sure.
    In any case I ran 150 rounds of ammo through it today without a single malfunction of any kind.
    The first 50 shots were factory 115 grain FMJ Federal Blazer brass. I was taking my time and put all 50 into a group about the size of a tennis ball at 10 yards. That is really good for me. Bordering on unbelievable.
    The sights were dead on from the factory. I made no adjustments whatsoever.
    Needless to say, I was happy.
    The rest of the session was with reloads. I put 50 rounds of 124 grain Berry's plated round nose over 5 grains of CFE Pistol through it. This time into a group slightly larger than a tennis ball.
    Next up were 50 rounds of Lyman 356402 over 5 grains of CFE pistol. Again into a group slightly larger than a tennis ball. This group had a couple of flyers(my fault, flinch) which I discounted since I was getting tired.
    After 150 rounds, the sticky spot is still there but is almost gone now. A few more rounds and it should be gone entirely.
    So far this pistol is superb. No malfunctions of any kind. Really excellent accuracy. Every bit as accurate as my revolvers.
    I have another one in stainless that shoots the same way.
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the Range Officer as a good example of the 1911 pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys in the USA get to have all the fun. Here in the DPRK........

The most accurate 9mm pistol I have ever fired was a box-stock Springfield Armory 1911A1 Loaded stainless variant. It kept right up with a much-enhanced Beretta 92SB-F target pistol I shot right alongside it. S/A can build a great 1911A1 x 9mm.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Tazman,
    Very good report and good shooting. I am now thinking about buying a Springfield RO 9mm
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

In the past I have not been able to shoot a 1911 either accurately or consistently for whatever reason. I have not been able to figure out why.
    Since purchasing the Range Officer, I have had no problems whatsoever getting excellent results. I now can appreciate the great respect and fondness people have for this design.

I've had a coulle range officer .45s and they were wonderful shooters. I currently have a range officer lightweight compact in 9mm and I love the size and weight. It also shoots very good, but not quite as good as the regular range officer. It isn't built as tight as they were. Mine has been reliable with everything I've run through it except some of the lighter loads I shot in working up loads.
    I hope you continue to enjoy it.