RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Pewter maybe? Bored , yes.

Boolit Master

Is it Pewter, results video and pictures

Last edited by mac1911; 07-23-2017 at 10:43 AM.

It's the real stuff. Good score for a half a buck.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    It's the real stuff. Good score for a half a buck.

Wayne
    the roll stamp "REAL PEWTER" had me wondering. I think its the only reason it was marked 50 cents. This seller usually has it marked pretty darn close to street scrap value. Normally dhe would have something like this marked at 4-6$

Boolit Master

Updates and added videos

ok so snagged this pitcher a while back. It seems to be pewter melted with in a few minutes on small side burner of the grill to produce 10oz of ignots.

Now was not sure about this thing. It was a bit heavy for its size and bent pretty easy but it appears at best it was tin plated.

It does not show up well in the video as I heated it a small amount of metal beaded off the base metal ?

the end result

this will be going in the **** bucket

Boolit Master

Etain Pur translates Pure Tin. Nice find.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Your frogs...I have seen similar stuff melting picture frames. Some have really thick clear coats over the metal so it does not tarnish. **** usually has a foul oder when melted.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Your frogs...I have seen similar stuff melting picture frames. Some have really thick clear coats over the metal so it does not tarnish. **** usually has a foul oder when melted.
    I've noticed if its pewter frame the back is normally solid and not skelitonized like the frogs are. I made the mistake of melting one in with my pewter and when i remelted it last week I found a hard ignot with dimples in it sitting on the bottom of my pot. I fished it out and it went in the trash.

With things such as picture frames or the frogs where hitting it with a torch it seems to melt like pewter/tin. Fast melt, smooth flow etc. but lacks the pewter stamp I treat it as solder instead of pewter. Goes in to the box with scrap solder of unknown quality picked up at garage sales or from scrap bins. When I have enough built up I do a melt, get a sample tested and then know what the batch is.

I don't want to treat "maybe" "sort of" pewter as pewter but can generally tell if I'm dealing with some sort of tin alloy. Mixed solder where if it is some sort of lower quality pewter I don't worry about it since some of that solder is probably only 10% solder and most won't be over 30%, whatever increase or decrease I get from the unknown fits right in with the rest of the unknown stuff. Have hit batches as low as 23% and as high as 60% from assorted unknown solders and picture frames.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Man

I test pewter that is not marked as such shown in this threads pictures:
    First with a knife then with a toss on the cement at the scrap yard. Probably should skip these 2 checks at yard sales
    Is it soft with a knife? good start.
    Does it dent and go clunk not ding?
    Pass on these two and it goes home.

If it melts easily with a soldering iron / gun I knight thou Sir Pewter.

The rare "else" back to the scrap yard at a loss.