WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Preventing Lube On The Bases Of Pan Lubbed Bullets

Preventing Lube On The Bases Of Pan Lubbed Bullets

Due to the slight irregularities of the bullets or pans or the small catenary assumed by pans of bullets and lube in an improvised double boiler, I am getting a little lube on my bullet bases.

Has anyone tried floating their lube on a shallow layer of water to keep bullet bases free of lube?
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    Due to the slight irregularities of the bullets or pans or the small catenary assumed by pans of bullets and lube in an improvised double boiler, I am getting a little lube on my bullet bases.

Has anyone tried floating their lube on a shallow layer of water to keep bullet bases free of lube?
    No. I haven't. But it is a novel idea!
    I am not sure until tried that it is worth the extra work.

My bullets have very flat bases and the pans are flat. There is next to no lube on them. But a film remains for sure. I wipe the bullets bases in a fold of blue shop towel and am good to go.
    I would be interested in what follows. It is an interesting idea.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

It should work but the pans will have to be very level for the thin layer of water to remain consistant across the pans bottom. It should work very well though. I pan lube all my BPCR bullets and simply wipe the bases as I'm putting them in the cases. Give it a try. I use brownie pans and a couple pieces of small angle iron to space the inner pan off the bottom of the outer. A couple set screws could be put in one end of 3/8" or 1/2" key stock to adjust to dead level between the pans so the water was level across the bottom surface.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's something I've been trying recently instead of just wiping the bases as they didn't seem to clean easily. I place a blue shop paper towel on an old, flat, electric skillet and set the skillet for medium heat. I know it's just right when I feel the heat through the paper towel. No need for high heat. Placing the bullet base on the towel against the skillet for a few seconds causes the lube to melt and get absorbed into the towel. I just wipe the bullet towards me and the base is usually pretty clean on the first pass. The wax on the base melts while the wax in the lube groove is unaffected. I use an ingot to keep the towel from moving while I do this. Change the paper towel as needed. Still tinkering with this but like the results. Seems faster to me than wiping or using solvents.
    No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Boolit Buddy
    Probably better determine the melt temperature of your loob. If it's at or above 212* your going to have problems!

I tried this last night.

As I lifted the cut free bullets, a small drop of water dripped from each leaving a perfectly lube free base.

While hot it looked like it might not work as the lube and water separated into bubbles, rather than layers; but when it cooled they made layers.

The lube does 'creep' up the edge of the pan. So for level strata of lube and water inset bullets a bit.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Banner Sponsor

I've been pan lubing with Carnauba Blue. It's quick and easy, doesn't require a trip through the oven, just let it cool at room temp and doesn't get any lube on the bases.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cblue-pan-02.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	199436

Silicone baking pans let the bullets sit flat (the pan material is soft) no lube on the bases

Dave