WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 245gr Keith or 240gr LSWC?

Boolit Bub

245gr Keith or 240gr LSWC?

Which one for .44 Spl.? These would be for target loads using Unique, and launched out of a M-29.
    Hunting with lead is no longer permitted in CA so these will be for fun as well as training for HD
    Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Are you referring to commercial swaged and/or cast LSWC vs the 245 gr Keith? More specific info (mould nomenclature) on each bullet would be helpful.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Are you referring to commercial swaged and/or cast LSWC vs the 245 gr Keith? More specific info (mould nomenclature) on each bullet would be helpful.

Larry Gibson
    I've got the 245gr Keith cast from the Lyman mold #429421. My sample of 240gr LSWC are from Hunter's Shack as I don't yet have a mold for those.
    The minimal extra weight of the Keith, I'm guessing, would be closer to the factory 246gr LRN at the paper punching velocities I'm dialing down to.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    They both will work well....after you work up the perfect load for your gun. Cast your own or buy, it's just a matter of you doing due diligence....Do you know what diameter you need? That's first.

My 429421 drops at well over 250 gr. from a 10-12 BHN alloy. Works well in all 4 of my 44 Specials.

429421 and 7.5 Unique the classic "Skeeter" Load
    Worked then
    Still works today
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Worked then
    Still works today
    Kevin

What he said
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    Worked then
    Still works today
    Kevin
    Though a very good load Skeeter's is not really a "target" load, it is a +P 44 SPL load.

For Unique use 6.5 gr for a target/factory duplication load. It will give you 800 - 850 fpf with good accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Though a very good load Skeeter's is not really a "target" load, it is a +P 44 SPL load.

For Unique use 6.5 gr for a target/factory duplication load. It will give you 800 - 850 fpf with good accuracy.

Larry Gibson
    Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    I got 950 or so with that load in the special I had
    a 4.5"flattop
    it was an accurate load too
    so ol Skeeter was on to something
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Jose View Post
    Which one for .44 Spl.? These would be for target loads using Unique, and launched out of a M-29.
    Hunting with lead is no longer permitted in CA so these will be for fun as well as training for HD
    Thanks!
    The man who introduced me to the 44 Mag had a 4" Pre-Model 29 (4 screw) that he regularly fed his own cast 429421 bullets (old Ideal mould) over 6.5 gr of Unique (IIRC - it's been 40 years ago) to give a somewhat authoritative but still pleasant round to shoot. Come to think of it, I ought to make up a bunch of those and shoot in honor of old George!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

get yourself a rcbs 240 swcgc mold. Probably the overall most accurate bullet in all of my 44 specials and mags. Does well on game too. Another real good one is the 429244 and another is the 429215 which is probably my favorite 44 spec bullet. All of these are gas check designs so it costs a bit more to make them but there accuracy makes it well worth the cost of a gas check. Ive got lots of 44 molds LOTS. Now I can about allways find a plain based bullet that will shoot as well as these gas checked molds if I spend some serious time with load development. Bullets like the 245kt 250kt 429421 ect. But those three gas check bullets shoot well in all of my 44s with very little load workup. They work at plinking velocitys and they work at full tilt velocitys.