MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, the 357 is gone...

Boolit Master

Well, the 357 is gone...

It just had too many problems to be economical to fix. So, now I am looking for a new revolver. Rough duty, but it's gotta be done!

My choices have narrowed down to the Smith 686 3 or 4", 66 2 3/4" or the Ruger GP 100, or Match Champion, if I can't find the 3" TALO Wiley Clapp special edition. It won't happen often, but I can carry a 4" revolver concealed very easily, but am somewhat recoil sensitive, so the 3" J frame is not a contender. To shoot up all of the several thousand cast and Plated boolits I have accumulated through the years, I am going to standardize on ~.38 Spl +P levels loads for fun/carry, and experiment with full wadcutters @~ 800 fps for SD purposes.

I had considered going to 9mm, but as I already have the reloading equipment for .38/357, and I like the caliber. While I was at the shooting range Wednesday, I met a fellow from Montana, and he had a family of Smiths...688, 60, and an aluminum-frame snubby. He offered to let me shoot his 6 inch 686, and I was in LOVE!

Problem was, he didn't want to sell it! Now: I can buy any of the new revolvers I want, but will I be better served by waiting and looking for older, pre-lock Smiths, or an older Ruger, even if I have to pay almost what I would for a newly-manufactured gun? A local gun store has an '87-88 GP 100 that looks to be in pretty good shape. If I pass on that, it will be looking at LGS and gun shows for a good replacement. I don't feel really good about Gunbroker, and sight unseen type of deals.

I am definitely no expert, but all of the Smiths and Rugers I looked at today appeared to my relatively uneducated eye, well-made, with no visible dings, goobers or other nasties. Given the constant complaining about quality levels of current Smith and Ruger offerings, is it better to go for older, well-maintained shooters?

Thanx
    Last edited by sniper; 06-10-2017 at 11:28 PM.

ADMIN

Get a 686 full lug 3 or 4 inch.
    Prelock. You will not regret it.

I vote for a 686-3 or 4 with a 6 inch barrel or longer. Very accurate and fine shooting revolvers. I have a 686-3 (8 & 3/8 inch barrel)that is the most accurate handgun I own.

Banned
    WOW, If I didn't know better I would think you were trying to start a GP-100 vs 686 thread

There are plenty of good used guns out there.

You're going to get a LOT of "Well I own a ___________" type responses.

Sounds like you have a decent idea about what you want, which is good. TAKE YOUR TIME !

I might stay away from the K-frame (model 66) if you intend to shoot a lot of magnum loads.

Boolit Master
    Well, the .357 is gone, Part II;

P&P....NO! Definitely do not wish or intend a Smith vs. Ruger flame war. Just seeking information from those who may know far more than I.

Presently, I am using Unique, Universal, Trail Boss and 2400 for my reloads. Since I started reloading in another lifetime, I have tried to use bulkier powders that will make under or double charges obvious. The "Skeeter Load" of 13.5 gr. 2400/158 SWC in .38 brass is a little hairy for this child, even in 357 brass but, it do fill the case nicely!

I am looking for a powder or powders that have a little more case-filling capacity, (loft, bulk?) and I won't be loading full-snort 357s; more like .38 Special +P, or a tad bit more. TB is bulky, O yes, but may not produce the wanted velocity.

I have thought about Red Dot, Herco, and the new Alliant Sport Pistol, although the published charges are small...more on the order of HP-38. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanx!

HS-6 or BlueDot. Both will show a double charge in a .38. HS-6 meters better, but is a bit more expensive.

Just got done putting 6.4 gr of BlueDot under 358429's. Will let you know how they do.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Look at Smith 627, I've had lots of others, but that's the one I like and kept, the only other I have and won't sell is Smith 1917.
    Col 2:13-17

4" L-frame is the quintessential perfect 357. Buy with confidence, especially the SSR model!

Boolit Grand Master

As much as I love my Rugers, my vote would be for a 586 or 686 if you plan on shooting a bunch. If shooting less than that, a nice model 19. All prelock of course.!

Boolit Buddy
    686 vs GP100 is a tough choice. In the end they are both great guns. Wish I was faced with the same dilemma. Good luck and lets us know what you pick, with lots of pictures.

Attachment 198128
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    As much as I love my Rugers, my vote would be for a 586 or 686 if you plan on shooting a bunch. If shooting less than that, a nice model 19. All prelock of course.!
    What he said...especially about the 586. Love my 4".
    Last edited by murf205; 06-22-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    I was just kidding, but these types of threads tend to devolve into Ford v. Chevy.

I load and shoot more 38 Special than anything else. It is by far my favorite cartridge.

The OP mentioned several possibilities, including a 3" L-frame and a 3" GP-100 variant. I've had a long love affair with 3" barreled 38/357 DA revolvers. The 3" barrel provides an excellent balance between ease of carry (portability) and performance (sight radius, velocity). They have a lot going for them.
    In a medium sized frame such as the L-framed S&W 686 or the GP-100, that 3" tube makes the gun just a little more holster friendly.
    Both platforms are excellent guns.

Other than the standard arguments about the S&W having a better trigger; both platforms are outstanding guns.
    The Ruger trigger isn't as bad as many claim and it can easily be improved to rival the newer Smiths. Both guns are plenty strong.

As for a 4" barrel, that's also a good option. A 4" barreled, DA revolver chambered in 38/357 may be the most all-around useful firearm you will ever encounter. The 4" tube has the benefit of a little more sight radius than a 3" barrel but is still short enough to be holster friendly.
    A 6" barrel is just too long for daily carry. The 6" revolvers are dedicated target & hunting guns and really not my favorites. They're great for specialized work but cumbersome the rest of the time.

OK, that's out of the way.

========================================

I'm not big on new guns. There are some great used guns out there.
    One of the best shooting .357 magnums I ever owned was a used police trade in 681. A friend sold it to me for $200 and I felt so guilty that I eventually sold it back to him.
    I've had other L-frames but that well used 681 was the best.
    I've also had a pile of GP-100's and have whittled that collection down a bit. The GP is a far better gun than many folks want to believe.

There's another possibility out there for the OP and one that I hope the OP strongly considers:
    One can still occasionally find a like new Ruger Six series (Security-Six, Service-Six or Speed-Six). They are fantastic guns!
    The size of a K-frame S&W with the strength of a L-frame. And, they shoot well !

My advice = decide on EXACTLY what you want before you shop and then seek out that exact gun at a price you can live with.
    Never, Never, Never, make a gun purchase decision based on the gun that happens to be in a display case. Know exactly what you want before you shop and don't deviate from that plan simply because something is available. Those types of impulse decisions rarely yield what you really want.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-11-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Get a 686 full lug 3 or 4 inch.
    Prelock. You will not regret it.
    2nd this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    As for powder selection, I've put a lot of different powders into 38 Special casings. It's an incredibly versatile cartridge.
    But, there clearly are some winners:
    HP-38 [AKA ww231]
    Bullseye
    Unique
    CFE Pistol
    AA#2
    AA#5
    700x

Out of those winners, ww231 (HP-38) is the stand out. It does it all in a 38 Special from target loads up to +P loads. I started with ww231 and always ended up coming back to it.

Unique is a useful powder but it's not totally "powder measure" friendly. For that reason I tend to avoid it in rounds that I load on a progressive press. I'll use it with a stand alone powder measure and a single stage press where I can visually examine each charged case but it makes me too nervous in a progressive press. (I know many people use it in progressives and I not saying that's a bad idea - it's just me).Same is true for 700x.

Bullseye will get you to the lower target velocities with the least amount of powder. In terms of rounds per pound of powder, Bullseye is the economical winner. HP-38 comes in a close second. I'm sure there are others as well.

For magnum loads it's simple: Magnum = ww296 [AKA H110]

I'm a believer in letting magnums be magnums and doing everything else with the Specials. So if I need a magnum it's a near max charge of H110 and we're done. Otherwise, I can probably find a load within the pressure range of the Specials or +P Specials that will do the job nicely. I don't load light magnums.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-11-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Boolit Master

Just kicking this out there but I have a S&W 686-3 6" barrel it's a Great range / HD gun but even if it had a 3" barrel on it
    I would still pick my Ruger SP101 as a carry gun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd go wth a 4 incher, in fact I did. I've a S&W M-19 and a Colt Python to do my bidding. But I dare say that there is no bad choice between a S&W 686 and a Ruger GP 100. However, if you come across a Ruger Security Six, don't ignore it. They're fine guns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0480.jpg  
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd go wth a 4 incher, in fact I did. I've a S&W M-19 and a Colt Python to do my bidding. But I dare say that there is no bad choice between a S&W 686 and a Ruger GP 100. However, if you come across a Ruger Security Six, don't ignore it. They're fine guns. I like my Service Six very much.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    LUCKYDAWG13 - That's sound logic. If I had a choice between carrying a 3", 6 round, GP-100 vs. a 2.25", 5 round SP101; I would pick the smaller/lighter SP101 every day and twice on Sunday.

Boolit Grand Master
    P&P has given some good advice....mirrors my opinions anyway on your choices.

My next pistol will be a 9mm revolver. More powerful than .38+P, and plenty of cheap brass.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I know it is not one of the guns you stated you were looking for but look at the Dan wesson 715. It covers all you are looking for and allows you to change barrels. I currently do not have a DW 357 but the last one I had shot great (cast, jacketed and plated) with all barrels from 2.5" to 8" and swapping barrels takes a couple of minutes. They are avaliable new or used and if you pickup 4" barreled gun to start you can add barrels later. Also all of the DW's I have shot have had great triggers from the get go.
    Just a thought and another option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast