RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: A rant: Crappy reloading dies suck

Boolit Mold

A rant: Crappy reloading dies suck

Dad passed away last year and I inherited his reloading gear. All was good. Old Pacific press, RCBS and Pacific dies, except for the 243 which had Herter's dies. So this morning I try to size and prime my stash of 243 brass. Not happening. The die is too tight, and the decapper can't be adjusted properly. I lube, polish, tweak, and finally give up. Head to the local gun shop and buy a set of RCBS dies. Problems solved. Yes, why do you never remember Dad reloading 243? Why does a 50 year old box look like brand new? I now know.

Rant over. Yes, the new dies work perfectly.

Boolit Bub
    ahh yes!! herters! some of there tools were great. some not so whoopi!! there catalog had some of the finest bullsquash ever printed tho. and some good articles to.kinda miss'em.

Boolit Master
    I remember one brave gunwriter back in the old days sneaking "Herter's stuff may not always work exactly the way it's supposed to, but it sure is cheap!" past the Editor and the Advertising Manager, in an article he wrote in a gun magazine. They probably strangled him when the issue came out.

Most of it was at least serviceable, and I imagine they had a return/replacement policy back in the day. But then, as now, you got what you paid for.

Out of curiosity does it say 243 Winchester?

There were several 243 wildcats in the day.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Out of curiosity does it say 243 Winchester?

There were several 243 wildcats in the day.
    Yes it does. Pounded out about 150 rounds through the new ones. I'm a pretty happy camper. I'll be happier when the $10 rebate hits.

Boolit Master
    cheapshot what are you going to do with the herters 243 dies ?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    That's actually funny !
    A thread about a die set that is at least 30 yr old being poor quality from a company that's been basically out of business that long .

Lots of rumors about where the dies came from , sounds like in you case they may have been seconds .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I kinda miss a catalogue where you could buy the 'World's Finest' whatever.

Boolit Master

Herters made solid, servicable presses that are still very usable today. Their dies; not so much.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a set of Herters dies that were not machined correctly and would not work. Mine were 22 Hornet.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    cheapshot what are you going to do with the herters 243 dies ?
    Going into the estate sale for some collector.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I had a set of Herters dies that were not machined correctly and would not work. Mine were 22 Hornet.
    These were really bad. Couldn't get the last half inch of the cases sized. Just too tight. The RCBS were like glass. I sure felt better about myself at that point. I was feeling pretty stupid until I figured it out.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    That's actually funny !
    A thread about a die set that is at least 30 yr old being poor quality from a company that's been basically out of business that long .

Lots of rumors about where the dies came from , sounds like in you case they may have been seconds .
    They are about 50 years old. Dad bought his 243 in 1968. He would buy the dies about the time he bought his gun. The only exceptions were very early 60s before he bought his press. He bought the press with the 35 Remington dies and started there.

Boolit Master
    I have had a number of sets of Herters dies. Most I was able to use after polishing the tool marks out of the FL die. I eventually got rid of all of them except a 7x57 FL die that is undersize and requires so much force that you cannot pull the cases out without breaking the rims. I just use that dog as a forming die.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapshot View Post
    Going into the estate sale for some collector.
    Price ?????

Banned
    I have a set of Herter's Mk I dies in 243 that are too large and don't fully resize the base of the cartridge. As long as I use them for a singe rifle all is well, mostly.
    I replaced them with Herter's Mk II dies and all is well.

Ken