Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Fanatics Opinions Needed

Boolit Master

Ruger Fanatics Opinions Needed

Finally got Jr into shooting! He is 13 and just never took an interest until now. Patience won out. It's funny, both of his sisters wanted to shoot Dad's BIG GUNs from 6 on. Oldest loved my 357 and was given a 3" GP100 for her 8th grade graduation! Middle Daughter got an OU 20ga for her high school graduation. Never saw such a natural wingshooter!

So he is already bored with his Rough Rider 22lr, but that is ok cause Dad needs a snake gun. Getting him a SW Victory since the Mark 4 recall stopped us from getting the Hunter version.

But we were at the range and he shot my SP101 2.25" with my DEWC reloads and really like it. Plus he likes revolvers, and that is pretty rare in this Call Of Duty generation.

So I'm thinking a 3" j Frame is the ticket. And since I have to order it, I'm wanting input on the SP101 vs LCRX in 3". He handled a SW Pro M60 the other day and liked it, but wasn't sold on it. I liked it, but would have to replace the sights for target shooting and that is just added expensive. Neither of us liked the stocked "Night Sights" on the M60. He also handled a SP101 with the 4" barrel but still liked the 3" version. Hasn't held the LCRX in the 3" version yet.

And before someone asks, no he doesn't like the way a 4" balances. Plus I would/could carry the 3"j Frame-ish snubbie when Jr gets tired of it and moved up to a 4" or longer. So I'm thinking ahead.

And it really doesn't matter if the SP101 is 357 and the LCRX is 38.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    My opinion is you've got a heck of a family affair going. Treasure it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    My opinion is you've got a heck of a family affair going. Treasure it.
    I do!

Boolit Master
    I own 4 SP-101's and 2 LCR's.
    Two of my SP's are in 357. One is the 3". The other 2 are in 32 mag & 22 LR. Only the 22 LR has the 4" bbl.
    My LCR's are in 38 spl & 9mm.
    I also teach handgunning & have many years experience.
    My first suggestion would be to find a friend or gun range where he can try each one out to see what HE prefers. But in general,, most of my students all seem to prefer shooting the SP-101's over the LCR's hands down.

I bought a 3" SP101 about 6 mo. ago. Did a light tune up, spring kit & polish. after 500+ rounds it has smoothed up well. It is small enough for ccw, heavy enough to handle 357mag. loads with reasonable recoil ,and loses only about 40fps. to my 4" Security 6. It handles every thing from shot loads to full 357mags.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Finally got Jr into shooting! He is 13 and just never took an interest until now. Patience won out. It's funny, both of his sisters wanted to shoot Dad's BIG GUNs from 6 on. Oldest loved my 357 and was given a 3" GP100 for her 8th grade graduation! Middle Daughter got an OU 20ga for her high school graduation. Never saw such a natural wingshooter!

So he is already bored with his Rough Rider 22lr, but that is ok cause Dad needs a snake gun. Getting him a SW Victory since the Mark 4 recall stopped us from getting the Hunter version.

But we were at the range and he shot my SP101 2.25" with my DEWC reloads and really like it. Plus he likes revolvers, and that is pretty rare in this Call Of Duty generation.

So I'm thinking a 3" j Frame is the ticket. And since I have to order it, I'm wanting input on the SP101 vs LCRX in 3". He handled a SW Pro M60 the other day and liked it, but wasn't sold on it. I liked it, but would have to replace the sights for target shooting and that is just added expensive. Neither of us liked the stocked "Night Sights" on the M60. He also handled a SP101 with the 4" barrel but still liked the 3" version. Hasn't held the LCRX in the 3" version yet.

And before someone asks, no he doesn't like the way a 4" balances. Plus I would/could carry the 3"j Frame-ish snubbie when Jr gets tired of it and moved up to a 4" or longer. So I'm thinking ahead.

And it really doesn't matter if the SP101 is 357 and the LCRX is 38.

I have both. Love them both. The 3" J frame is 50 plus years old so it is a .38. It has a heavy barrel. The Ruger is the sp 101 in. 357 it is a joy to shoot even with hot loads. I would not enjoy a 357 J frame with hot loads. I have a feeling the Ruger will live longer with hot loads but with DEWC it is a total toss up.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I own 4 SP-101's and 2 LCR's.
    Two of my SP's are in 357. One is the 3". The other 2 are in 32 mag & 22 LR. Only the 22 LR has the 4" bbl.
    My LCR's are in 38 spl & 9mm.
    I also teach handgunning & have many years experience.
    My first suggestion would be to find a friend or gun range where he can try each one out to see what HE prefers. But in general,, most of my students all seem to prefer shooting the SP-101's over the LCR's hands down.
    It's my first intention, but finding a 3" LCRX is impossible around here! The only one I ever held was when they first came out and I thought they were dead awful ugly. Never seen one since.

The ONLY reason I'm even considering the LCRX is the better selection of grips they have now. It's went from three to five or six! LOL. Seriously, I had a 9mm LCR and couldn't make it through 2-3 rounds before the rest had bullet jump so bad it binds the cylinder. REALLY wanted to like that pistol! But wanting to give it another try in 38 and longer barrel. I love the trigger on the LCR, much smoother then on the Airweight j frames I have.

Lefty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    I bought a 3" SP101 about 6 mo. ago. Did a light tune up, spring kit & polish. after 500+ rounds it has smoothed up well. It is small enough for ccw, heavy enough to handle 357mag. loads with reasonable recoil ,and loses only about 40fps. to my 4" Security 6. It handles every thing from shot loads to full 357mags.
    I really like the SP101 in any flavor. I own a 38 with the 2.25" barrel. Never had to touch the trigger, was smoother (but heavy) from day one. It's lightened up from dry firing and shooting the past months. Got a Hi Viz fiber optic front sight and Compac grips on it. Handles +p+ loads better than I do.

Lefty

Banned

I got my daughter a 3" LCRX as it was the only gun with which she could could easliy pull the trigger. The LCR triggers are so much better than any J Frame I have ever owned. 3 months and she can constitutional carry handguns at age 19 here in Missouri. That is a beautiful thing.

Boolit Master

Started my son with a 4" S&W Model 32 in 32 S&W. He ended up with and still has the 3" Model 60 in 357 calibre. Can't go wrong with either choice.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Consider stepping up one size and look at the S&W K frames. The Mod 10/64 (blued/SS) is a little bigger then the J frame but you do get 6 shots as opposed to 5. I have owned both the 60 and the 64 and loved both of them. I have seen police turn ins in LGS's for a little over the $300.00 mark on the 64's w/2" barrels.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned
    I'm with Sasquatch-1, step up just slightly to the K-frame S&W and pick up a good used one. A 4" model 10, 15 or 64 would be good. Lots of available grips to fit the gun to the shooter, capable of great accuracy and a better allocation of funds.

I seriously doubt his interest in that a revolver is going to last. While the SP101 and LCR are both good guns, I think you're buying a temporary place holder at best. He's 13 and his interest will shift 20 more times before he's 15.

If it must be a Ruger, one of the longer barreled SP101's would be my pick. A little more muzzle forward weight, maybe a little more selection of available grips and nearly indestructible.

I'd put more money into ammo, hearing protection, glasses and quality time than I would put into the actual gun. At least early on. If he shows continued interest in shooting handguns, you can get that special gun later.

And good for you. Promoting responsible gun ownership, teaching shooting skills and spending quality time with your kids. That time is worth more than any piece of steel.

Boolit Master

I have a 10 year old grandson that I dream of the day he will want to start shooting,he has listened to his grandmother say how much she hates guns(her father accidentally himself but carried around a load of #6 shot for years)and this has brained washed him and he says he doesn't like to shoot guns.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Would love for him to get a six shooter, but he likes the trim feel of the j frames. Plus we don't have a large selection of revolvers to choose from. Wish we did. And when he gets bored of it and hopefully goes to a 44spec BH/SAA, then I get it! And I would rather pack a five shooter than a six most days.

I think he likes the balance of the 3"/j Frame combo. Definitely not my first choice, but always worste ones.

Lefty

Boolit Master
    I have several K frames and like them, but disagree with the poster who recommended getting one instead of a Ruger. No further comment about that except to say that my choice for the stated purpose would be a 3" SP101. Nothing against the lcr either; I have one and like it a lot.

Boolit Master
    I love my LCRx, but recoil can get a bit snappy with +P loadings and more than a few cylinders in a session can be too many for comfort. The weight of the SP would make for a more pleasureable shooting session for young hands with 38's and can work up to 357's over time, IMO.

If you shoot at a range where there are a lot of members, take him with you and see what is out there. Ask around and I am sure that he will get offers to shoot everything form Mark series 22's on up through the big boys. This way he will get to see what he truly likes. Unfortunately, the majority of what I see are the plastic semiauto guns.

Just an example of the odd guns I saw this weekend were a Mauser Broomhandle Red 9, a P-38 with Nazi markings and a Ruger 460. I asked and was allowed to shoot the 460.

Guns I have been allowed to shoot that I would never be able to buy; an original S&W Mod 3 (break top Schofield type), a Mosen Nagent pistol, a Colt Anaconda, a 454 Casull and many guns that have come out of custom shops. Just ask when you have your son with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Would love for him to get a six shooter, but he likes the trim feel of the j frames. Plus we don't have a large selection of revolvers to choose from. Wish we did. And when he gets bored of it and hopefully goes to a 44spec BH/SAA, then I get it! And I would rather pack a five shooter than a six most days.

I think he likes the balance of the 3"/j Frame combo. Definitely not my first choice, but always worste ones.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

We don't have such luxuries as a large range with large amounts of people and different types of firearms. Nor do I have the disposable income to go and rent all different weapons and pay for the ammo.

He knows what he wants. Right now. And that is fine. I get it after he is done and wants to move on.

I vote the 3" Sp101. It's what I have. I really like shooting it and so does my small framed wife. The weight is perfect. It does excellent with 357 mid to upper 125 gr loaded with HS-6 and wadcutters with 231. It's a breeze with 38 +P also. And like you said, if he ends up moving on, you get it, but if not hes got a revolver that will last for life.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

6" ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast