Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: lead Cast for .270 Win

lead Cast for .270 Win

OK, here we go....

I have a new unfired virgin Ruger No.1 with a Mannlicher stock.

I want to start casting my own bullets for this rifle.

I was looking at the LEE C277-135-RF Mold, combined with the recommended Size kit .278 (#90261).

I have never reloaded/used Cast bullets in a high power rifle before, only jacketed.

I have plenty of IMR-7228 powder in stock.

My basic questions to you:

1) How accurate can these cast bullets actually perform? (Realistic MOA)

2) Can I still use my IMR 7228 Powder, and if so, what is the recommended start load.

3) Gas checks are needed at what level of PSI/FPS/ etc.

4) Is ALOX good as a lube.

5) If not IMR7228 powder, then please recommend another powder that will fill the case using cast bullets.

6) Recommended lead hardness range for this bullet.

7) Recommendations to prevent leading of the barrel.

I have experience with casting my own muzzleloader pure lead patched round balls.

Since serving in the Marines, I have lost all interest in high powder rifles, felt there was no challenge in it.
    For the past 45 years, I only used muzzleloaders and traditional archery for the taking of game.
    Well I'm getting older and the .270 Win has tickled my fancy again.

I would love to shoot sub MOA with cast bullets, and be able to hunt with them also.

Thank you in advance for any assistance given to my questions..

Regards,

Bill

I am a rank newbie, but have lurked here and read enough about casting and cast bullet performance to note that the easiest and best route to what you want to do is having your .270 rebored to .35 Whelen.

Big cases with small bores and cast bullets are not an easy, nor often happy pairing.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

that is not true, while it might be easier you can be successful with the 270, the smallest I have gone is 30 cal, I would think that a powder around 4895 would be good,check a powder burn chart to see if yours is close to that. as far as gas checks, you will need them, they are easy to install, typically if you want to go over 1600fps you will need them. give it a bit of time, and someone that does the smaller calibers should answer this, also check in the alloys forum, have you given thought to what alloy you will use? half ww,half pure plus 1%tin seems to be popular and will respond well to heat treating. good luck!
    PS--landy don't go discouraging people when you don't know enough about the subject
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    PS--landy don't go discouraging people when you don't know enough about the subject
    My goal was to prevent another new caster from becoming discouraged, by taking on a project that would challenge and maybe vex even the most expert casters. And that, even with the greatest success possible at the bench and range, is going to be quite limited in the field by the small and light .270 cast bullets.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

I have zero first hand experience with the 270 Win. However, I consulted some load manuals, and there's data for cast bullets. Cast are running from 1500fps to about 2200fps for a 160 grain.

Casting rifle bullets is a little more tricky than pistol bullets, but certainly not impossible. It'll just take more practice and experimenting, not just for the casting, but for your loading process and load workup.

To answer your question about powder, I'm not familiar with the one you listed. The manual I consulted showed loads for Reloader 7, 4198, and 1680 to name a few.

I don't have a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook handy, but I'm sure you'll find some good info in there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thank you gentlemen for your input.

My most important focus is in obtaining sub MOA.

Once I have that, is is a non issue to take thin skinned game.

FYI, I have been taking game with a longbow and arrow for years. Using a high powered rifle is a cake walk.

Honestly, I do not have any of the fancy books on Lead casting of bullets, nor on reloading, other than my old LEE second addition book.

All of my experience is with making round ball for my black powder muzzleloaders.

I will have to do my homework and purchase a few recommended titles to assist me in my pursuit of MOA using lead cast.

I sincerely appreciate your help in fulfilling my goals.

Regards,

Bill

Boolit Master
    I am using a NOE 279-160-FN2 GC 2 cavity brass mold, using CCI primers, and IMR4895. My alloy is 2.22% Sn, 2.21%Sb, 0.18%As, and 95.38% Pb. I am not getting any leading but my accuracy is not good. The rifle is a 1950 Steyr Manlicher. I am thinking I may have a scope issue that is affecting accuracy since I have the same problem with jacketed. I'm still in the load development phase. Good luck

Boolit Master

My only relationship to the .270 is that my youngest son has one, and he is not interested in casting or reloading at this time. This cartridge relied more velocity than mass to attain momentum/killing power. That brought the twin advantages of flat shooting and range to the table. Thus, the inherent characteristics of cast boolits will not compete with jacketed projectiles, although they can perform within their limits. Gas checks, alloy changes, and lube will all enter into the equation in the search for max velocity with cast within the caliber. Good luck in your journey. There is lots of information here to direct you as you travel.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill from NJ View Post
    I will have to do my homework and purchase a few recommended titles to assist me in my pursuit of MOA using lead cast.

Bill
    for 20$ this'll get you well on your way if not to your goal.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bu.../dp/B004DWBKQY
    I'm assuming you enjoy the casting process and its part of the fun !!!
    Naturally if you wanted to very good J word bullets can be had for 30 ish cents a piece

Boolit Master

That caliber is not the best for cast. With nosler ballistic tip 130 gr jwords you can prolly shoot cloverleafs at 100 though.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I have no idea what Landy 88 means at all—15 posts may be some clue…

I have three 270 Winchester rifles. I have dedicated a Model 700 to cast boolits and it shoots very well, thank-you…

I have shot the Lyman 280642, the Lyman 287346 (sized to 0.278”) and the NOE 279-124-FP, all with quite good accuracy to 300 yards on a 5”x11” steel plate…

I have shot 10-shot groups with the 280642 that were right at 1.25”. Mostly 3-shot groups will stay at M.O.A….

XMP-5744 has done the best of all the powders I have tried and velocities are between 1667 fps and 1810 fps. I did not really get better accuracy going much faster. I am not familiar with 7228…

I use wheel weights with a “bit” of tin added, size to 0.278”, use checks, and stick Alox…

The 270 Winchester might not be the best cast boolit shooter, but my 700 does O.K. as others on this site have indicated also…

Good-luck…BCB

Again, Thank you gentlemen for all of your great comments and recommendations.

I am getting a few books related to casting and the reload data.

Thanks, you guys are a wealth of information.

Boolit Master
    By all means get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Current edition is No. 4. Nos. 2 & 3 should be available through gun shows. All are different and have good info. Based on my limited shooting of cast boolits in 257 Rbts and 7x57 Mauser I would start slow and gradually increase velocity. Don't worry too much about killing animals. 44/40 killed bears ,deer and elk. Not at great distances but it did make meat. Enjoy working up loads with your 270.

Boolit Buddy
    Cast can do well in 270 Win, and there is a wide range of weight and shape options to suite many tasks.
    I powder coat my cast projectiles to avoid leading.
    Tailor the alloy and velocity to the task you intend and you should get acceptable results. Results you can brag about are likely going to take some effort and experimentation on your part, but that's part of the fun.