WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Marlin 1895 targets group question

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895 targets group question

Had a overdo range session to shoot up the last of my Marlin loads and noticed that @50/100/and 200 yds I get (for me) excellent groups with one thing in common . I seem to get no matter yardage ,3-4 boolits grouped ,with 2 others at 2 oclock /close at 100 and 2-3 inch @200 .I did manage to hit the nail/washer hanger on 3 targets before getting smart enough to adjust elevation . Any opinions on why ? Attachment 197835Attachment 197836Attachment 197837Attachment 197838Attachment 197838Attachment 197839Attachment 197840Attachment 197841[ATTACH=CONFIG]197842

Since the errant POI's are apparently in the middle of each shooting string, I would suspect that there's something loose or bearing where it shouldn't - like a magazine tube hanger, the FE wood, etc.

BUT - the two POI's that concern you should be of little concern, since what you're shooting is a hunting, and not a target, rifle - and they appear to be within an effective shot spread for game shots.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Place the front bag near the receiver instead of by the front of the forearm and try again.

Unclamp that accuracy influencing velocity widget from the front of the barrel. Don't blame the gun for doing weird things when you have weird things attached to it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Place the front bag near the receiver instead of by the front of the forearm and try again.

Unclamp that accuracy influencing velocity widget from the front of the barrel. Don't blame the gun for doing weird things when you have weird things attached to it.
    That widget allows me to do accurate velocity estimates ,like my BHN tester allows for repeatable alloy mixes and gets the best groups that my tired eyes will permit . The groups are apparent with or without the (widgit) and are also repeatable ,I just never could figure why hence the question . Micro grooves do shoot cast well and the deer never live to question why !

Boolit Master

And your getting weird shots!!

Seriously I would loose the attachment but that's me, my 1895 shoots nice round groups without that.

You like it keep it on.

My Buddy bought a Magspeed and it doesn't seem to affect his groups, so I doubt that the bayonet sensor is the issue. I would also suggest to bring the support back by the receiver and see if that makes a difference. I would ask if you load the magazine tube or single load for your bench shooting?

I know that on tubular magazines as you shoot them down it changes the balance point of the rifle.
    My 1895 seems to shoot nice round groups.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Check the buttstock to see if it is shifting sideways under recoil, this will cause a change of POI. Lay the wrist across your knee and press the butt and the barrel, if it moves it needs to be corrected.

I reset the bedding where the wood meets the stock and left a little clearance at the back of the tang. Could be something else but it needs to be checked. As stated above lever guns can be sensitive to forearm pressure. I also like to adjust my mag tube and forearm to make sure they are not bound up.

Usually if something is binding when it gets hot it will not group again till it cools. If something is shifting it can move and go back is the middle of the group. Notice I said usually, when looking for accuracy problems there is nothing written in stone.

Great rifle, hope you enjoy that one.

Dave