Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage, someone tell me about them

Boolit Master

I can't speak about the new ones, but the 100+ year old 1899's and 99's I have will shoot as well as any other lever action I have ever shot.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

IME, current Savage offerings are:

* Accurate

* Relatively inexpensive

* Fugly (the rear of the bolt/action looks cut off)

Pay your money, and make your choice............

Last edited by pietro; 06-19-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

They can be made to look good. They shoot great usually. Slick and smooth they won't be. I like the old blind mag ones the best. The first modular bolt action; they are a design as old as I am(1958). I don't turn my nose up at them at all.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several Savages, all when fed the right ammo will outshoot me every time. Pretty yup...beautiful...when I hit exactly where I was aiming. I regularly shoot mine to 500 yards. Try going over to Savage Shooters.com and look at the good points and the problem area before you decide which one to buy, but do buy one.

Boolit Buddy
    my shoots as well as could be expected, the only thing I dislike about mine is it rust easy. I went hunting for a weekend and left my rifle in the car at night, by Sunday it had light rust starting on the outside of the barrel. when I took the stock off more rust.

There are a few Savage's lurking in my house also. A 10BA in .223, a 12 in .308 and a .22LR BJR that my wife calls the pimp gun. While I've never considered them "top of the line" I do have to admired them for their affordable accuracy. The accustock is an improvement over their normal plastic wares and the accutrigger is one of the better out of the box factory triggers I've used. Savage is also one of the easiest to re-barrel if needed. The Barrel nut (kind of a Savage trade mark) also makes head-spacing a breeze. My only complaint, which is subjective, are the looks. Ugly or not I like the way all mine shoot.

Have a pre accu trigger mod 11 in .243. Shoots 1/2 min groups....when I do my part that is. Best load....38 gr Varget, and 80 or 85 grain Matchkings.

The barrel nut design is one of the reasons, along with excellent barrels, they shoot so well. At least that is the opinion of several gunsmith I've communicated with.

A friend recently bought an Axis in .223. As others have stated, the stock leaves some to be desired, but it shoots 1 minute groups with 2 different factory ammos.
    One complaint about the Axis is the plastic box magazine. But it seems to function ok. Durability is, IMO, questionable.

Boolit Master
    They are not the most elegant firearm made, but if you get one that doesn't shoot well or function well, it is an anomaly.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned
    To All,

Savage rifles (with the exception of the OLD & very handsome Model 99 LA, of long ago), remind me of my old International Harvester PU: UGLY to look at, CRUDE, long-lived and WORK every time.
    (It's been my experience that, IF you buy one, that the rifle will serve you well.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    All rifles are more accurate than other rifles. The advertisements tell you so. Still, Savage rifles have a good reputation, and when they have built down to a price, I think they have done so at least as sensibly as the others, or more so. There might be a slightly greater availability of ready-made parts and accessories for the Remingtons.

I think really good accuracy at that end of the market is partly luck. There is as likely to be a difference between one Savage and another Savage, as with different brands. You might be more likely to get a rifle, as regards bedding etc., than you would by paying more, but a good one is a good one. Their collar locking system makes it easier to get the headspace right, and at their prices easy is what gets it done.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 06-26-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Savage barrels in general are extremely accurate.I used to work for a company that among other products made barrels and rebarreled customers rifles.Most of the rebarreling was done because of a lack of accuracy.We did a lot of Rugers and Remingtons but if we did a Savage it was a caliber or barrel contour change.Not because of an accuracy problem.The rifles were designed to be sold at an affordable price.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

IME, current Savage offerings are:

* Accurate

* Relatively inexpensive

* Fugly (the rear of the bolt/action looks cut off)

Pay your money, and make your choice............

that about somes it up.

i have a model 112 in 223 that goes 1/2" or better at 100 yards. but i don't like the accu-trigger so my dad and my son have it. i bought an old m110 in 270 that would go 3/4" at 100 yards. i have a model340 in 30-30 and it will go 1 to 1 3/4" at 100 yards. my son has the axis in 243 and it will go 3/4" at 100 yards. my dad had an old model110 in 30-06 and it shot great too.

if you look at a savage with dim light and your eyes are squinty, then the gun is the best thing ever! but it can shoot!!!

Boolit Master
    Got a 116 blind mag 308 lh will put boolits into an inch at 100 yards with me shooting ,let one of the other shooters at the club try it ,put 3 into a group smaller than my thumb nail.didn't know wether to laugh or cry.the older I get the better I was.

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine down in Fl is for lack of a better description a"Savageaholic".He has an action in all three sizes.30-06,308 and 223.Not to mention about 8 to 10 bbls for each in different cals.plus one bbl is for jacketed and one for cast.They all shoot very well.
    All are MOA or better at 100 yds.He is a very happy camper.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

A friend of mine described his Savage rifle as boring. The bullet always hit where he aimed so he didn't shoot it much.
    He spent weeks trying to get his other rifles to group as well.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage Hog Hunter in 223 Rem, no trouble getting it to do under MOA. EL Cheepo stock but the gun was a good bit under $500 otd but it does what I bought it for.

The only thing I really don't like is the center feed or whatever you call it. It does feed good but is hard for me to fill the mag.

One thing I really like is the barrel, It cleans easily and doesn't seem to copper up like some I have. I also like the accu-trigger.

It seems Savage has designed these rifles around the newer manufacturing methods and materials and came up with a good product at a reasonable price.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Savage 110E long action in 22-250. I bought it in the late 80's.
    It puts 5 shots into a dime size hole at 100 yards and will give back change.
    This is shot out of a vice. I wish I could shoot that well!!
    It has accounted for ground squirrels out to 400 yards.
    It has an ugly stock, and I have thought about changing it, but why mess with perfection?
    I also never got a date while shooting it, nor did the squirrels ever laugh at its ugliness.
    I would say, find an older 110 and put a nice stock on it if you want, or shoot it as is.
    The deer never look at the beauty of a firearm and decide whether it is worthy to be shot by it.

About ten years ago I bought a Stevens 200 .243 for $275 new. Gray plastic stock,non accutrigger, staggered blind mag. The bluing is beautiful. I adjusted the trigger to 3# and don't remember ANY group being much over 1". I gave it to my daughter and put a Boyds f'wt thumbhole Sky laminate stock on it.
    It's a beautiful accurate rifle and she shoots it well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

And I borrowed it to get Memorial Day dinner!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Had a 110 and it was accurate as long as you could get past the rough trigger . More recently an Axis joined the herd It was accurate if you got past the horrid trigger .... it's not the newer Accu-trigger . Also you couldn't touch the plastic stock anywhere with very much pressure or the groups opened up .

Fixed the trigger to my satisfaction with a youtube video and the stock was replaced with a Boyd's laminate . Now it's a cheap rifle in a solid stock and it does shoot well . The low price looks inviting but if it doesn't shoot the way you like it's either sell the rifle or put more money into it . It isn't so inexpensive of a deal if one has to go that route .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12