Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: 22 Shorts @ Palmetto

Boolit Buddy

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Any body else remember when shorts were 65 cents in a paper box of 50?

No I don't. I stopped buying them before they got that expensive.

Boolit Master
    I can remember paying 35 Cents for fifty Remington .22 Shorts. The same 35 Cents could pay for the Kid's Matinee at the Princess Theatre (15 Cents) a Chili burger (10 cents), bag of popcorn (5 Cents) and a Coke (5 Cents).
    I'd pick up the Chili burger at the News Stand up the street and smuggle it into the theatre in my shirt pocket.

Boolit Master

Multigunner I guess it's a relative thing isn't it. $8.99 per 100 shorts today VS a yester years 5 cent popcorn and the 35 cent shorts

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Multigunner I guess it's a relative thing isn't it. $8.99 per 100 shorts today VS a yester years 5 cent popcorn and the 35 cent shorts
    It all depends on your time of reference.
    When I was 10 years old, I spent the summer shooting a box or so of 22shorts each week trying to get good enough to hunt squirrels that fall. I believe the cost was 37-45 cents per box of 50.
    That was a lot of money back then to a little kid. If I didn't get my groups small enough, my father wasn't going to let me hunt. He wasn't into blowing holes in the air and scaring the animals.
    During the next 5 or 6 years, I shot a lot of the short hollow points at squirrels and kept a little extra variety on the supper table.
    Thinking back, I am a bit surprised he let me shoot that much.
    As far as what the bullets cost today, I pay what I have to in order to do what I want or need to. You have to pay to play the game.

Boolit Master
    A buck more at Cabelas but if you have a store near by can have it shipped there instead of paying shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Sitting here this morning wondering the age group of the replies.Three (3) hours of yard work for the widow lady neighbor to by a box .65 +/- ,and that was at the local hardware store.
    Gonna order some just because of that memory
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I was 11 in 1971. I used to buy .22 ammunition at the Holiday Station store. If memory serves me correctly shorts were .65 cents. Longs .67 cents.
    The real power was in the Long Rifle ammunition at .69 cents. I didn't always I needed the extra power so I usually saved a little with shorts or longs. They fed just fine in my Marlin Bolt. It was also bought at the same store for $27.
    The real fun was had at my Grand mothers house. She had an 06 Winchester pump .22 hanging over an interior door of the house. Sent allot of shorts down that gun. I'd practice and practice. Learned to shoot a coffee can 3 times in the air with that little pump rifle. It was more technique than skill. Then came a drivers license, girls, fast cars, military, marriage, kids and lots of work. Still have fond memories of the kid shooting the .22 shorts.

Boolit Master

I remember when you could get a brick of them for $5, but that was when I was 14.

Boolit Master

22 Shorts @ Palmetto

In today's money 65 cents (1971) is $4
    If that's for a box of 50 it's on par with palmettos pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Sounds about right. Interesting food for thought.

Boolit Master
    Everyday price on Super-X shorts was $0.49 Some of the stuff like Revalation was 35 to 39 cents. That price was still pretty high compared to what I was making.

Boolit Master

Even better 10 boxes 22lr mini mag HP 79.99 free shipping this weekend only!!!!

Mine are on the way, Seems online the old prices are becoming true again.

No, but in 1953 or 54, I recall Long Rifles at .50 a box and Shorts for a quarter. I got 50 cents a week allowance so Shorts were on the menue for me. Was hard to stretch 2 boxes for a whole week but the sparrows and starlings really suffered.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

My brother & I would go in halves to get high vel short HP at Pete's Cash Grocery. 65 cents if I remember right. Dad's 511 Remington loved them.

Boolit Master

Since the 70's shorts have cost more than LR. 1971 Win T22 match [not the best] was $6 per brick at my club.

The Shorts for my Hi-Standard international started at $11 at any gun shop up to $22 for target quality. The way I shot handgun 1 handed the cheap ones were fine.

Mid 60's Sears sold bricks of Remington Hi-Speed shorts at $4.99 LR's at $5.99. Had Dad buy me the shorts for more shots for he buck.

Boolit Master
    I was pleasantly surprised when I saw they had quite a few boxes of CCI .22 Shorts at our local Wal Mart a while back, and .22 Shot shells too. I didn't think they would ever make .22 shorts again.

I remember as a kid buying .22 Shorts when I didn't quite have enough for Longs or Long Rifle ammo. It worked fine. Yeah at the time it cost less than 50 cents for a box of shorts. The local convenience store had them in a wood cabinet on the counter too. Before dove season, they used to put up some pyramids of shotgun shell boxes for sale too. That were the days when you could buy ammo at the local convenience store as a kid even. I used to get off the school bus, run home, grab my single shot .22 and the box of ammo and head out across the street to hunt in a open wilderness area at the time. Rabbits, etc were all on the hunting list.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-19-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add more information