Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Bucket List Gun 8 3/8" 686 357 Magnum

Boolit Buddy

Bucket List Gun 8 3/8" 686 357 Magnum

I bought a 8 3/8" Smith and Wesson 686 tonight from GunBroker. I have recently been blessed with the ability to purchase some firearms that I have wanted for years and found this one. I missed one on here a year or so back on the exchange.

Any, I will get around to trying to shoot a deer with it sooner or later, killed one last year with a Glock 10mm and am HOOKED.

I found a stash of Remington 180 gr JHP today and see where Underwood loads a 180 gr WFN gas checked boolit.

Anybody got any recommendations for the loadings to use for hunting deer? I can handload some but for a bit, buying factory would be better. I set my stands where 30-40 yards are abut as far as I will shoot

Boolit Grand Master

Had a 686 no dash 8-3/8". It was quite accurate with 180gr class stoked with 296.

congrats on your purchase, I have always wanted a 686 myself.

Boolit Master
    I've shot just over fifty deer with the .357mag handgun over a thirty + year period (also some more with the 44mag, 7tcu, and 30-30 in handguns). Most were shot with Hornady XTP 158g JHP bullets on top of a full charge of WW296. There were a few in there with the 180g Hornady XTP JHP also, and a couple of Speer 146g JSP bullets. Overall, the Hornady 158g was the best all around bullet to use with the WW296 powder. The heavier bullets penetrated just a bit more but expanded a bit less. Most of the deer shot dropped pretty close to where they were hit or only ran fifty yards or less. Very few had exit holes but all bled profusely. I owned three different SW 686s (actually, one was a 586...same gun in blue). Off sand bags at fifty yards those guns would shoot right around an inch for five shots. Maybe a bit over, but not much. As I've gotten older I had to add a red dot to the gun rather than counting on open sights like I did when I was younger. In my opinion, the 686 is the best 357mag SW ever made. I owned a model 27 and years ago I had a Python. I think the 686 is better as an all around gun. I think you'll do fine with your new handgun at the distances you plan on shooting as long as you have the right load and place the shot in the vitals. Here's a pic of two bullets shot into the same deer broadside at 35yds and 90yds. You can see the difference in expansion just because of the added distance. Each bullet hit one rib going in and lodged under the skin on the opposite side. A handgun loses steam fast and you need to recognize that when you shoot. These are 158g Hornady JHP bullets.
    Attachment 197497

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies.

I own a 686-3 with the 8 3/8 inch barrel. I found one a man had only put about 100 rounds through.
    I haven't put more than 150 rounds through it myself yet, but I do know it is extremely accurate. I think it may be even more accurate than my pre 14 K38 Target Masterpiece. It seems to like any ammo I have run through it to this point.
    I can recommend the long barreled 686 wholeheartedly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    I bought a 8 3/8" Smith and Wesson 686 tonight from GunBroker. I have recently been blessed with the ability to purchase some firearms that I have wanted for years and found this one. I missed one on here a year or so back on the exchange.

Any, I will get around to trying to shoot a deer with it sooner or later, killed one last year with a Glock 10mm and am HOOKED.

I found a stash of Remington 180 gr JHP today and see where Underwood loads a 180 gr WFN gas checked boolit.

Anybody got any recommendations for the loadings to use for hunting deer? I can handload some but for a bit, buying factory would be better. I set my stands where 30-40 yards are abut as far as I will shoot
    Hi...

I have a S&W 686 Silhouette model with the 8-3/8" barrel. It is an extremely accurate handgun with just about any handload I run through it including cast bullets loads. I keep a card with it that tells me what adjustment to make to the adjustable front sight depending on load and distance.

This handgun will routinely allow me to hit the 10-12" gong at the 200yd range at my gun club with a variety of loads, depending on the front sight position.