Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44mag and 2400

Banned

44mag and 2400

i have a ruger sbh (4 5/8" barrel) in a 44mag. for roughly a year, i have been using 44mag and 44sp in 220gr wc and 250gr mihek hp using unique and titegroup. i have begun using a 280gr wfn(44mag) and 9gr of unique( i used 7.5 - 10gr and i found the most accurate was 9gr). as you can see, i used alot of unique(some titegroup) because of the recoil ( a stroke got me, right side is done). now i think its time for whats next in the recoil game. i think that 2400 should do it. i have the loads needed for 250gr hp but not for 280gr wfn loads. what grain do you start out with? (44mag and 2400 and 280gr)

i have gotten to 30 yards unsupportive with 1 1/4 - 3" groups(220, 250 and 280gr). i want to go to 50 yards unsupportive, but that will take time, esp for the one armed guy!!!

Boolit Master
    This is where research comes in. Hornady, Speer and I think Sierra list data for 2400 with 300 gr bullets.
    What would be wrong with starting with their in between load and work up? That is what I would do.
    But, many people thinks I don't know much.

Vendor Sponsor

I use 17.0gr 2400 with the Lee C430-310-RF seated out long in the bottom crimp groove, 1200fps from my 7 1/2" SBH and this is not a max load by any means. 2400 is fairly forgiving in loading less than max unlike H110, so for a lighter boolit like a 280 I would think 18.5gr would be a good load but it really depends on the boolit seating depth also so don't take my 18.5gr suggestion and start loading it under your 280s, verify it first. If the 280 seats deeply in the case, it may be less is needed..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I use 17gr of 2400 under a 270gr in my RSBH if that helps you at all
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    thanks guys, i "think" i'll start with 17gr of 2400 and go .3gr from there.

Love your "never say die" attitude. I am pulling for you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

tdoyka, were you a left hander before your stroke or did you have to switch hands afterwards? Either way, that's some great shooting with one hand, unsupported! Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Man
    I'm new to 44 mag and love the versatility! I've been looking for 2400 and haven't been able to find any locally for sometime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I like Bluedot for midrange loading.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    try 17.0 gr 2400 in a mag case
    pretty darn accurate in my gun with Miha's boolit 250 gr'er
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    tdoyka, were you a left hander before your stroke or did you have to switch hands afterwards? Either way, that's some great shooting with one hand, unsupported! Treetop
    i alway shot left handed when i was using a rifle or a shotgun. i used the right hand when i shot revolvers/pistols and compound bows.

back in the day, i shot a ruger srh (7.5" barrel) in 44mag. after i sighted it in, i did 1 1/4 - 2ish " groups at 100 yards(5 shots/sorta supportive). back in the early '90s no one had a unipod or bipod, so instead i cheated a little bit. i would use either a shovel handle or a rake handle. once in awhile i would use a tree limb to support my 44. the best i ever did was on a doe, thru both lungs at 125+/- yards. i was a 200 and 240gr xtp-er with a stout load of win296.

nowadays i am more than happy to hit the 6" steel target at 30 yards. the time i went from 25 yards to 30 yards, i was ecstatic to hit the steel more than once. my days of long range hunting with the 44mag(150 yards or less) are gone. now i'm just a revolver hunter with a 30 yard max. and a 150 yard rifle with cast boolits.

Boolit Master

I absolutely love your positive attitude. I had a close family member who didn't really push himself after his stroke and his stories didn't include still having fun in the great out doors. I would love to wish you all the success in ringing them plates and think that 2400 will help do the trick.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    I absolutely love your positive attitude. I had a close family member who didn't really push himself after his stroke and his stories didn't include still having fun in the great out doors. I would love to wish you all the success in ringing them plates and think that 2400 will help do the trick.

thanks!!!

Moderator Emeritus

tdoyka, your positive attitude, shown on this thread has been an inspiration to me. Two years ago, I had to retire due to complications from 4 back fusion operations. I'm going to start trying harder to do the things I love and ignore the pain, as much as possible. Retirement is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    tdoyka, your positive attitude, shown on this thread has been an inspiration to me. Two years ago, I had to retire due to complications from 4 back fusion operations. I'm going to start trying harder to do the things I love and ignore the pain, as much as possible. Retirement is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Treetop

thank you!!!

it helps alot when i take my happy pills. it also helps if you have someone to talk to, like a yorkie. she sits on my lap and lets me pet her while i talk about stuff.

retirement(forced) should be fun. it leaves you with more time for guns and reloading!!!!

Banned
    well today i loaded up some 280gr wfn and 17.0gr of 2400. i only loaded 5 of them just to see if they worked or not. well, they do. except after i shot them then i found out that the primers were flatend out. the next time i shoot, i'll take it down .5 gr and 1.0gr.

17.0gr of 2400 seems to high in my revolver, , i tell ya what happens when i go 16.5 or 16.0gr.

Boolit Master
    Hornady lists 17 gr of 2400 with a Win LP primer in a Hornady case as max. at 1.600" OAL.. Unless your bullet seats as deep as a Hornady 300 gr your load is more than safe.
    Primer flattening is a very UNRELIABLE way to accurately judge pressure. That myth has been busted long ago.
    There may be some very, very, very small credibility to that method of judging pressure but it is not very reliable.
    BTW a Hornady 300 gr seats .540" into the case at the above OAL..

Banned
    i used lyman 48th ed. it says 255gr boolit (1.680") will go between 18.2 - 22.2gr of 2400. then it says a 300gr boolit (1.700") will go between 14.0 - 15.7gr of 2400. for a reference point and some of ya'll say, i used 17.0gr of 2400 and it was 1.660".

a jacketed bullet that goes 270gr(1.585") will do 16.2 - 18.2gr of 2400. a 300gr jacketed (1.720") will go 15.7 - 17.5gr of 2400.

i'm just guessing but i had 5 large pistol primers(cci 300) that were flattened and they "flowed" into the pocket. i never had a flattened pistol primer, but i did have large rifle primers flattened out. i overloaded(i was young and dumb) the powder and i did flattened primers.

i'll try a 16.5gr of 2400(280gr wfn gc), since i am in the dark

Boolit Master
    Well do what you wish. I was just letting you know what the latest Hornady book says. I use 20.5 2400 with a 270 Keith bullet and no problems. It seats maybe .010" deeper than a 250 Keith.
    Carry on.

Banned
    opps!!!! its my fault, i used the large pistol magnum primers(cci350). i'll try the 17.0gr again with a large pistol primers(cci300).

i went looking to see if i did screw up. it was then i found large magnum pistol primers. the boolit(montana bullets) was ok, the powder charge was ok, brass was ok, and the crimp was ok.

its all me!!! i'm sorry.