Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning M71 in .348...a painful gun to shoot

Browning M71 in .348...a painful gun to shoot

A couple of months ago I came across a minty Browning M71 in a local gun shop. $500 put it my hands. Next I scrounged around and came up with 250 pieces of brass, 100 of which were virgin WW. I bought some 200 grain flex tips from Hornady and loaded them with 54.5 grains of Win 760. This is a starting load. Well, all I can say is Wow! That gun barks loud! Cases are showing no signs of pressure but the lever drops about .25 inches when the gun if fired. It does not move the bolt nor the two lugs that lock the bolt, it just drops the lever a tad. The hit to my gripping hand though is pretty painful. I'm thinking this will be a cast bullet gun for me using either 5745 or maybe even Blackhorn 209. I did buy an Accurate 220 grain bullet mold from Tom so I'll have to try it out.
    Last edited by omgb; 06-17-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: to appease the nit-pick'n wieners :)
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    I bought some 200 grain flex tips from Hornady and loaded them with 545 grains of Win 760.
    Now that's gotta make a boom.

(I did look it up though and see that 56.0 was the book starting load in my references, so I do know what you meant.)
    Last edited by Beagle333; 06-17-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Thats what caught my eye also. 545 grains is 2 and a half times a 50BMG load. Big boom. Lol

Yep, if not hunting polar bear, brown bear or Moose a cast bullet does everything and is a pleasure to shoot. I used to load for a friend's 71 Win. And either downloaded the 200 grain jacketed until I finally found Lyman's GC bullet.

You must have a 30 foot drop tube to get 545 grains of powder into that size of case!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Alright guys, which of you did not know I meant 54.5 grains? A guy can't get cut any slack at all these days.
    R J Talley

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Get cut... Yes. Slack... well that is for them others out there some where.
    Several items maybe I can help you with. We have a 50 Alaskan in an 86 Win (jap). With any cast over 300 grains it could get right painful fast on my 150 pound frame. So it has been "adjusted" to be user friendly even with 525 grainers over 53 grains of 4198. About 1800 fps.

That lever. Wrap it in leather if there is sufficient room. Just getting the steel off the hand makes a big felt difference. If the lever has a plunger type "lock" check the spring. May be collapsed some. I just do not remember how the 71 lever locks in.

Butt plate. Add a padded leather cover. Our's had a curved steel bone crusher. Bought a padded "curved cover". Removed the steel and on went the cover. Cover is flat on the outside and curved on the inside to match / fill the curve in the shoulder area. Now it is as hurt less as a 86 in 45-70 with a shotgun style stock with 300 grainers. Not sure which you have but the leather covers do help.

We have an 1886 in 33 Win. We routinely shoot 250 grainers GC. No issues to us with a leather cuff on. We do not shoot off a bench either. Cross sticks will give your body the chance to recoil with the rifle.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    The lever opens due to recoil and rifle movement. It does not mean anything in regard to the loading.

Boolit Master
    Considering the loading of win 760 can be measured up to 62 grains with a 200 gr jacketed bullet seated. 54.7 grs is a lower middle range loading. Yep! I'm surprised to read your 348 cartridge can hustle a 200 gr out past its muzzle near 2600 fps. That's a polar bear harvester you got there OMGB.

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad has one and yes its a handful. I was surprised too.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The lever opens due to recoil and rifle movement. It does not mean anything in regard to the loading.

+1

The heavy recoil is most likely causing your hand to contact the lever loop in a way that makes it drop that little bit.

If the rubber bumper doesn't work to reduce felt recoil enough to suit you, drill a 1/2" diameter hole a few inches deep into the thick part of the buttstock, under the BP/recoil pad - then insert some lead in there.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Off topic a tiny bit but...Do mercury recoil reducers work?

Boolit Buddy
    omgb,
    The m71 has a too short length of pull. Add length to the buttstock and your recoil problems will go away. The performance of your loads are similar to a 30-06 at shorter ranges. It will still pack a punch if you are shooting from a bench. While sorting out accuracy loads, I shot 75 in one afternoon. Never again. 760 was not accurate for me, and did much better with imr4064 and imr4895 at around 2400 fps.

Boolit Master
    Those deeply curved butt plates were not meant for the conventional shouldering were are used to. These are a holdover from the Kentucky Rifle days, and even when these rifles were manufactured it was already known that the less curved "Musket Breech" and "Carbine Breech" were much better suited to the hold necessary for rifles that recoiled more sharply than the mild Kentucky rifle type loads.

True but the M71 has a shotgun style butt.
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Off topic a tiny bit but...Do mercury recoil reducers work?
    They do work ,I have installed several but still use a Limbsaver for a helper

Boolit Master

348 Winchester

I agree, a Model 71 will loosen the fillings in your teeth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winchester Model 71-cropped.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    You can get your teeth rattled with a full load, but take a 358-429, size it .351, load it on top of 13.0 grains of red dot and it is a ***** cat. You will have to raise the sights a lot, but it is very accurate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	197895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-8-13 026.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	197896
    Loaded down to 35 Rem levels, you have ample power for Deer or Black bear, 28 grains of 4759 or 35 grains of 5744 under a 200 grain RCBS boolit works well.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 06-19-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    4895 is my go-to powder for 348 Winchester. Don't have my ledger handy so can't list my loads at the moment. Recoil was quite tolerable.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I too used to have my teeth rattled by a Browning M71. A buddy called it, "a mule killer at both ends." Reduced loads tamed it, and proved more than sufficient for local deer. A Williams receiver sight went a long way toward making it user-friendly too.

I kept a couple boxes of full strength ammo on hand in case of the odd grizzly or T-Rex sighting, but neither ever materialized here in Maryland so I sold them (and the rifle).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast