Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .32 Fed Mag help!

Boolit Master

.32 Fed Mag help!

It looks like things are coming together where I can get a Henry in .32 FM as well as a Ruger revolver. This is a totally new caliber/cartridge for me and I'm excited.

I plan on picking up 500-1000 pieces of brass from Starline.

I need some advise about molds. Which two molds would you suggest and why?

Thanks.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You didn't say which Ruger .327 revolver you have. It makes a difference because the SP101 and Single-Seven have different length cylinders which limit nose length which is useable.

Accurate has several bullets for .327 Ruger revolvers, but I have no clue which ones would feed in a Henry.

Attachment 197771Attachment 197772Attachment 197773Attachment 197774
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Beware the Rugers. I have SP-101 and Single 7. They are good guns but the 7 has some built in idiosyncrasies that are aggravating, the short cylinder being the most. I like Lyman 311316 cast to 115 grains and gas checked for hard, heavy work. The RCBS 98-SWC is a very good bullet but it is too long to seat to the crimp groove in the "7". I decided to stick with bullets lighter than 100 grains in the "7", that way I can seat for OAL that fits the chamber with out crowding too far into the boiler room. Incidentally.....my RCBS mold drops at 105 gr. Heavier than advertised, but good....

Boolit Master
    For my SP101 4.2 inch I have settled on the NOE copy of the RCBS.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...ftqfjtmfk1c4l1

I size this boolit at .314 and it will shoot in the 10 ring at 50 yards on the NRA 50 yard slow fire pistol target using a lite load of Bullseye.I have a Burris fast fire III on my gun which helps with my old eyes.
    Last edited by TCFAN; 06-17-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the Single Seven would be better loaded with .32 H&R Mag brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Sounds like the Single Seven would be better loaded with .32 H&R Mag brass.
    Not at all. You just have to seat the bullets deeper. It's a non issue for me. Seat them to the proper length and give them a good roll crimp. They work just like they should.

I have a full set of Single 7a and the SP101. The SP101 has the most god awful trigger I've ever encountered on a revolver. The whole geometry of the gun seems to be wrong for my hand. I can't recommend it.

Now the Single 7s I really like. But loading an unloading them is annoying. The chambers don't line up to the click. So if you hit it you won't be able to load the cartridge and you have to spin the cylinder all the way around again. Same thing w/ unloading. There were reports of early ones w/ the loading gate not cut large enough for the brass. The rim would drag on the frame preventing it from entering the chamber. None of mine had this issue. And then we get to base pin jump. Mine have calmed down but every now and then the pin will jump out. Any bit of oil on it will have it jumping. They definitely have their idiosyncrasies. But I'm willing to live w/ them because I like the gun.

Can't say I have a mold that won't work. If it doesn't crimp in the groove so be it.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    The SP-101 triggers are bad and cocking the hammer for single action is difficult, just can't seem to get it over center. I changed springs in 1 of mine; we'll see. The 7 is very easy to shoot accurately, as for the cylinder length; do as stated above, seat and crimp to the cylinder length, works well, just that I don't like having to designate which gun the ammo is loaded for. Took a dremel and a small round stone and enlarged the groove in the base pin, it seems to be slightly undersized from the factory. They sent me a new one and it was the same, jumped every third firing. The pin that I opened up slightly stays home now like it was designed to. Good guns, all of them, but more trouble than my Taurus 327 has ever been and it is 6 years older with several thousand rounds thru it. I like all of them........

I use 98 grain wadcutters in my Ruger Baby Vaquero, they are loaded stiff for carry, almost 1200fps. The cylinder length would not make any difference using wadcutters with the .327. 32 H&R is very much under loaded, so should be able to get good performance using H&R cases in the .327 with longer bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	197897
    The RCBS 32-98 SWC are a little too long for my Single 7's, but the 315-100 that I have (the third from the left) is perfect, think of it as sort of a reduced size 358-477. It is very accurate. Accurate makes a similar boolit mold, the 31-105L.
    The 32-98 SWC RCBS boolit works great in 32 H&R brass, and may be a good choice for your Henry. The 2 boolits I would choose are the MP 314-100 and the afore mentioned 315-100
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee 113gr FNGC. I load it over 10.0gr of #2400 for ~1,300 fps from my Single-7. Hornady gc's, SPG. .311"
    For plinking and general use, the 90gr Lee TLSWC. Powder coated with Harbor Freight yellow. Sized .314"

I also have a 6-cavity mold for the Lee 93gr RN, but the M1 .30Carbine lays claim to all those!

Boolit Master
    The RCBS works just fine crimped over the front band. The most accurate bullet I used.