WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Hornady Bullet Feeder Die and Tubes????

Boolit Bub

Hornady Bullet Feeder Die and Tubes????

The hornady Feeder die and tubes state that you can't use cast boolits. Does anyone know if this is true if I'm using powder coat/hi-tek coatings. Or do I need to coat my boolits and size them to .355 (sorry this for a 9mm). Really don't want to alter the feeder die. Just looking for some advise, or another option. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used commercially cast lead bullets in my
    LnL. Some were soft and some were hard cast. Im assumming that they are lubed somehow. I don't cast. 9 and 45. They worked ( just ) ok. Had to use Hornady One Shot to keep it running. Definitely not as smooth as a jacketed or plated boolits. I read somewhere else. That he was spraying some One Shot in a ziplock bag of boolits to lube them. I have not tried that yet. I also made different lengths of pvc tubes to play around with amounts of boolits to feed. It's been awhile since I did that, but I think the most you can do reliably without the boolits falling out on their own is around twenty give or take. I experimented with it because at the time we could only shoot nonjacketed boolits in the indoor range. That has changed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

the hornady feeder does not like all the lube groves, I use a mold made for powder coating, no lube groves, and they function fine in it. the mr bullet feeder is supposed to work with castboolits in the lnl and be more forgiving but I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it was because of the .356 size. I guess there's only one way to find out. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgfan View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it was because of the .356 size. I guess there's only one way to find out. Thanks again.
    Mr. Bulletfeeder dies will feed a wider range of bullet diameters, and they sell the same die for 38 and 9mm:
    https://www.doublealpha.biz/mr-bulle...r-die-assembly
    operation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2mG7dVPxlU
    Last edited by Kenstone; 06-25-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Bub
    +1 on the mrbulletfeeder die. It is more expensive but it works very well with cast boolits. I use mine on a lnl that is setup for 45 ACP and it works great.
    I only clean the inside of the die with mineral spirits from time to time as it gets a little sticky depending on the lube and that's all.

Boolit Buddy
    I had some older commercial hard cast with the blue lube, they were .358 swc. with the Hornady aluminum tubes they work pretty well.

Boolit Mold

Hornady Bullet Feeder Die and Tubes????

The hornady works fine with 45 acp 200 grain coated swc's from bbi.

Hornady die is a well made precision joke. Got mr bullet feeder dies and they are so vastly superior it can't be expressed.