Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 50-110 Data Help

50-110 Data Help

I have a friend that is having made a Winchester 1886 in 50-110. It has a 1:20 twist barrel. We're thinking 425 grain bullets would make a nice all around bullet to start with. I'm doing some research on it to help him get started with the caliber.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=51-410P
    https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=51-422B

He wants to use smokeless powder. Velocity goals would be around 1200-1500 FPS. Certainly not super speedy, but we have to be concerned with the huge case capacity.

Are there any Handloader magazines that had articles on this that anyone knows of? Or articles in general?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bazoo
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Ken Waters said 33.0 grains of IMR4198 is good for 1200 fps in a 50-70 with a 400 grain bullet. You could start there or a bit higher and shoot over a chronograph until you got to where you wanted to be.

The Accurate handbook does list data for the 50-110, they say a start load of 5744 is 37.8 grains behind a 450 for 1497 fps and a max load is 42 grains good for 1702 fps.

Shooters World markets a powder called Buffalo Rifle that is practically identical to 5744, if the other can't be found. Your choices of powders are going to be pretty limited, but these two (three) should work reasonably well and get you where you want to be.

Thank you Nobade, that's useful info. I was already figuring that 5744 and 4198 would be useful powders.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    1886 50 EX (50-110) are prone, to not being able to handle wide meplat bullets. If you review Accurate's catalog, you will find the nose/meplat profile tends to be smaller. Look at 51-320E in Accurate's Catalog. He recommends this design for 50-110's. I would also recommend a GC design. Tom will design anything you want. He can clone that 51-320E nose profile onto a longer heavier bullet.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 03-22-2024 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience with 5744 in my 45-100, 45-110 is the velocity is much greater than the load books say it will be.

Boolit Buddy
    PM me I have data from Western powder co when they made 5744. I just dont know how to post it. I have several molds for the 50-110 also. I would be happy to send a couple of each to try. Let me know. Tom