MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't Lee make the proper Top Punches for their products

Boolit Master

Why can't Lee make the proper Top Punches for their products

I hesitate every time I order a Lee mold. The conversion chart I have said to use a Lyman 429 punch that left a nice deep ring on the bullet (358 2R 128gr). I combed thru my collection and found one with a better fit.
    Turns me off to Lee.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I struggle with this as well. Modified 2 to try get the correct profile for the 358-158 but neither works

Boolit Master

Just one of the reasons I own so many NOE molds - top punches are an exact match to the mold...

I suspect Lee can't make top punches for Lyman machines because of patent rights. In any case, since the boolit you mention has a flat nose, you could use a wadcutter top punch.
    I use that style punch when seating any boolit with a flat nose when reloading. It should also work when resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I suspect Lee can't make top punches for Lyman machines because of patent rights. In any case, since the boolit you mention has a flat nose, you could use a wadcutter top punch.
    I use that style punch when seating any boolit with a flat nose when reloading. It should also work when resizing.
    I tried this, but it doesn't stay flush and smears in one side

Boolit Master

There is a difference between "can't" and "won't".

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Patents are for a limited time, those nose punches certainly are way past a patent's expiration. Look at Redding, they will make a RCBS/Lyman top punch for any mold they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by mwells72774 View Post
    I tried this, but it doesn't stay flush and smears in one side
    I can see how that would happen. I would have thought the nose punch for the 358665 might work. I think the nose punch number is 495.

I can see how that would happen. I would have thought the nose punch for the 358665 might work. I don't know the punch number.
    459 or 495 I think

Just checked with a couple of sales sites. It is 495.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably has something to do with them wanting people to buy their sizing system and lubing method

In the event that you cannot find a punch that fits your specific bullet; Find a punch that is close but slightly oversize and use either hot glue (temp use) or Epoxy (longer term) to fill the void and make a custom punch. With the hot glue I glue it right to a well cleaned and de-greesed punch, a little oil or cooking spray on the bullet, set the bullet into the die, fill the cavity and press just enough to keep everything concentric.
    With the epoxy you can do it the same way and it will bond to the punch and make it more permanent or you can spray release agent (cooking spray) on the punch as well to make it removable. Any excess that bleeds over the edges just trim with a hobby knife (exacto blade) and away you go.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    Lyman top punch #348 is a flat punch. I use this punch on nearly every pistol boolit I run through my Lyman sizer, be it the Lee 358158 RF or Lee 429200 RF or the Lyman 452460. I too find the "ring" unsightly, but have never been able to prove it affects accuracy adversely.

It's aggravating huh?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Lee supports themselves. They do not make lube sizers. They make push through sizers. As cheap as their stuff is, the profit margins are probably slim to begin with. Making products to support competitors equipment doesn't make any sense. In the end, it IS a business and they do what makes them money.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master

Why would Lee make parts for Lyman or RCBS products? Lee has their own design bullets and to keep with their "one manufacturer" thinking they manufacture a sizing system that works quite well. If you absolutely need a top punch that's a perfect fit, customize one for your lubersizer.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I would imagine that there are a lot more brass stuffers in the US that use the lube/sizer method over the push through sizers and they would appreciate having a perfect fit nose punch for Lee's noses.

If I were figuring how to give my moulds an edge in the market place, besides being cheap...I'd figure how I could offer the proper nose punches, after all nobody gives them away, right? Sales ='s profit, right?

Also...what's more convenient than having access to the nose punch where you purchase the mould?

Boolit Master
    I thought most Lee users were "thrifty" and used the lee push through sizers and tumble lubed, though not my idea of fun.

No...for me it's the push through on an upside down press with the PC coating...but...I'm in the minority with PC, I imagine the lube sizers still outnumber us 7 to 1.

Boolit Grand Master

They don't make a lube sizer that needs them. That's the long and short of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast