MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Paper Patch Bullet lube.

Boolit Mold

Paper Patch Bullet lube.

I have received conflicting information on using paper patched bullets in my 45-70. One piece of advice was to rub a small amount of lube onto the patched area before seating to assure that you don't tear the patching. Another point was that the paper should be applied (wrapped) dry and inserted into a correctly sized case to insure that the patch leaves the bullet at the earliest flight. Another advocated using powdered graphite rubbed into the patch to provide less friction. I am finding that wrapping with moist patching and then drying gives me the tightest wrapped bullet head. I would prefer to wrap dry, but maybe my technique needs to improve. Any thoughts on the expressed opinions?

Boolit Grand Master

I dry wrap and then wipe with a very light coat of JoJoBa oil ( a light drop on finger or thumb will do 2-4 bullets depending on caliber. I wipe them then wipe with a cleaning patch ). I have used a light mix of lee water souluable sizing lube mixed with water 4 parts water to 1 part Lee wax. I just barely dampen the patches with this on a impregnated sponge. I will set 5 patches down rthe sponge with it 3/4 submersed in the mix in a small pan. used the first one replace then the second working like this giving time for patches to curl up and in curl. I don't normally care for the powdered graphites here. Another is a dry patch a over powder wad a "grease cookie" of desired or needed thickness a playing card wad and the bullet. A grease cookie is a wad made of bullet lube and set into case. SPG emmerts or several others do well here. I use a VLD case mouth chamfer tool for the more gradual angle and smoother lead in for the bullet. I normally size with a bushing die just down to what I need after bullet is hand seated onto wads. One thing that's going to make a big difference is are you patching to bore dia or groove dia?

Banned

oops, perhaps this thread should be in the bp paper patch forum?

what are you trying to achieve with yer ppb's and why the need for adding any kinda patching lube? water protection for hunting? fouling control?

i don't use grease cookies, they lessen the powder charge. i wipe for fouling control. i prefer wrapping dry, and if i needed water resistance i'd prolly rub on some beeswax after the cartridge was built.

as far as building the ppb cartridge, is yer gun's chamber a saami or made for ppb's? if saami, as in my current gun, i clean the brass and load it fire formed (fits the oriented chamber like a glove and accepts more powder in the case), the ppb plops in loose then gets run into a sizing die set to lightly taper down the case mouth so the ppb is held and won't fall out but will turn around and can be finger pulled out if necessary. best neck tension is no neck tension. ymmv.
    Last edited by rfd; 06-16-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry, I didn't know of the PP Bullet Forum - is it within this site? I am wrapping to bore diameter and first priority is developing a hunting round for buffalo. The value of providing a level of water proofing is certainly an advantage with the use for field. I haven't compared a lubed patch to a dry yet, so thus the question being thrown out for the more experienced with the pp loads. I would prefer the pp loads to use across the board. Given that I am recreational gong shooter, vice a competition shooter. I just enjoy the whole dimension of this sport. The rifle is a Farmingdale 45-70 with a .363 free bore. So far, my pp loads are in the 1 1/2 inch neighborhood.

A combination of dry wrap, then a very lite coat of any waxy lube then run the patched bullet thru a sizing die that irons the paper but doesn't change the diameter of the raw slug.
    I size to 0.4505/0.451 and have excellent results.
    Od is very uniform, patches stay at size (wax helps the patch fight off the high humidity here on the gulfcoast) so no swelling----------and they shoot really well

Dave

Wups seems we crossed posts---------------Size to the throat in the Farmer, all the other points apply

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneke View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know of the PP Bullet Forum - is it within this site? I am wrapping to bore diameter and first priority is developing a hunting round for buffalo. The value of providing a level of water proofing is certainly an advantage with the use for field. I haven't compared a lubed patch to a dry yet, so thus the question being thrown out for the more experienced with the pp loads. I would prefer the pp loads to use across the board. Given that I am recreational gong shooter, vice a competition shooter. I just enjoy the whole dimension of this sport. The rifle is a Farmingdale 45-70 with a .363 free bore. So far, my pp loads are in the 1 1/2 inch neighborhood.
    You really don't want the patch to be "lubed". Wiping down with jojoba oil after the bullet is loaded will sometimes help accuracy, sometimes no difference but it always does add a bit of waxy coating when it dries. I also find my most accurate patched loads to be wet wrapped.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneke View Post
    here's the url for the CB BP PPB board - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...Paper-Patching

the need to mess with some measure of waterproofing the paper for hunting versus going full dry for targets/steel is subjectively up to you and the level of consistent accuracy you require. as always, do the testing and see what works best for you.

Boolit Master
    I don't see a need for waterproofing, especially for buffalo. But if you do, then I recommend switching to cooking parchment paper. Nothing you can add to regular paper will match cooking parchment in this way. Find it at any good grocer or cooking specialty shop.